Potato Starch Flour Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoAnn L.

Master Chef
I was wondering if anyone has ever used "Potato Starch Flour". It comes in a 12 oz. box. It says it is used to thicken gravy and soup. For making pudding and also to make a white sauce. Even to use in baking. I saw there was a recipe on the side of the box to make cookies. I don't know if I am allow to say the price on this forum. Is a person better off just using plain flour and water? :rolleyes:

Are you familiar with corn flour/maizena/corn starch? (all same thing but called differently depending on where you are...)
You can use the potato starch flour in exactly the same way, and as far as I know they are interchangeable. I use it for baking or thickening agent, but for thickening sauces, I think you get a better flavour using butter and flour.

Sure you can say the price as long as you aren't advertising or selling it.

I've never used it, but it's along the same lines as flour, cornstarch arrowroot, etc as a thickener. I am suspicious as to the claim that you can sub it for flour in cookies though.

I usually use flour or instant flour or cornstarch or tapioca for thickening.

Potato flour. That's interesting. I bake all our bread and some of my recipes call for potato flour. I don't have a local source for it and mail ordering it is costly. I learned from the consulting bakers at King Arthur's Flour that I can substitute finely ground instant potatoes and achieve the same end. I've been doing that for years with excellent results.

I just put a small quantity in my herb grinder. (It's a small coffee bean grinder that I use ONLY for herbs.) I whiz until the potatoes are as fine as flour. You might be able to do the same thing and use the end product as a thickener. Although, I agree, just stick with the traditional flour thickener.

Katie

For those who keep Kosher, potato starch is the only starch that is available Kosher. It is the only thickener which we use for Passover. Potato starch is also "gluten" free for those who are gluten sensitive.

Edit by Aurora: (Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that potato starch was the only thickener which can be used for Passover, I meant that it's the only one that my family uses. Ground Passover matzo is also Kosher and can be used for Passover.)

Kosher potato starch can be found in most markets with other Kosher foods.

Last edited:
Just to let you know that I found the Potato Starch Flour at our local grocery store in the flour dept. The brand name is Swans and it cost $2.69 for a 12 oz. box. This must be a new item for our town because I have never seen it in any of our stores before.

:ohmy: For 2,69 it must be made from some pretty great potato's. Here I buy the stuff for about 0.60 Eur per 250gr box.
My mother used to love the stuff, along with corn flour. If I remember correctly she used potato starch for thickening fruit juices becuase it stays transparent. Otherwise it works pretty much the same as cornflour.
Quite frankly I prefer to either make a roux or just use granulated instant sauce binders for ease of use.

I've used potato starch in different things and to me it's an overrated item. It's expensive and the flavour can be quickly neutered by the next ingredient. Just my thoughts, but, by all means, it's worth trying. I could be trying to do the wrong thing with it.

I make potato dumplings with potato flour. Just mix baked,mashed potatoes (still warm) with the flour , make balls (about the size of tennis balls) and simmer in salted water.
It is great with saucy meats!

The only brands I've ever seen are Streit's and Manischewitz, in the Kosher food section of the supermarket. I've got some pretty tasty sponge cake recipes that use potato starch! Kosher for Passover......... :)

Back
Top Bottom