Question About A Place In Scotland

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crewsk

Master Chef
My parents are planning a trip to Scotland to visit a place on the Isle of Skye called Trotternish. This is where my fathers family originated from. I was just wondering if anyone had any info about local history or places to visit that I could share with them, or any web sites. I'm not sure when they will be taking their trip, but my dad is researching it now. Oh, one other thing, when is the best time of year to go?

I visited Scotland many many years ago. Everything is green and the Castles are beautiful. I can't remember all the places that I saw but I took a lot of pictures and also Panarama ones.

The Panarama pictures came out great and I have three of them mounted in a frame on my wall.

I don't know of the place where your parents are going to visit but once they get there there will be lots of brochures. Make sure they bring raincoats and umbrellas because it rains a lot.

MudBug or me :) i live on the scottishboarders...

Well october the end of it everything closes as far as most castles etc. They would be better going AFTER kiddies go back to school Like 2nd week of September.

I love the Isle of Skye. but i wouldnt spend more then a few days there really. Theres lots to see in scotland itself. I know a few B&B owners on the Isle So let me know ifyou need any help with accomadation.

Lots of birds to see on the island. Trotternish if i remember correctly is very pretty lots of rocks and picture perfect moments.

But flying into GLA (glasgow) or EDI (edinburgh) is your best bet saves you flying into london then to scotland. There is LOADS of direct flights and flights through Chicago to Glasgow. Its a small airport and easy to find your way around.

I would also personally checkout some of the tours they can be really good!

Hope this helps let me know if you need more info

je m'excuse, ChefJ (sorry, just got off Buck's post about guy lingeaux).

I would think this time of year is a great time to visit. When is tea and the B&B?

You can fly into Glasgow.. thinking about it.. and take a flight to Inverness or.. and this is my preference drive or take a bus tour to Fort William which is SOOOOO pretty where the big mountain is. Its about 6 hours from glasgow to The Ilse of Skye driving direct. Or you can stop in Ft William and go to Mallaig where you can board the ferry. or you can drive from FT. William to Skye.

Either way very pretty routes

Well my B&B is booming at the moment but will quiet down OCtober when the estate and the other attractions all close. when the dukes and Lords move back into their castles and stately homes for the winter

Thank y'all so much!

FryBoy, my parents don't drink so that will be eliminated from their experiences. That site is great, I'll pass it along!

Chef Jan, thanks for all the info, I'll pass it along too. I'm sure they will visit a lot of other places while they are there.

Mudbug, I knew I needed to talk to Ishbel but I kept thinking someone else was from Scotland but couldn't remember who. I've been breathing cleaning fumes all day & I'm a little scatterbrained at the moment.:rolleyes: :LOL:

I've never been but my husband has been to the Isle of Skye. He wouldn't stop talking about how incredible it was. I had decided to spend a couple nights in Edinburgh but regret it now. One of these days we will make it back over. Happy travels to your parents. I'd love to see photos if it's possible.

Thanks Jen! I'm sure you'll here from when they get closer to finalizing things.

Corazon, I'll be sure to post some pics for you when they return.:)

Trotternish is a really nice area of Skye, in the North East of the island.
A school friend had a summer home on Skye, his mother came from the island, and I spent many a happy holiday there. As an adult, I've been on a couple of cookery courses at Lady Claire MacDonald's place and can also highly recommend The Three Chimneys!

www.claire-macdonald.com
www.threechimneys.co.uk

Last edited:
Thanks Ishbel! I'll pass that on to them also.

I'm a little more than jealous that I can't go too. Hmm...maybe if I through the educational angle to my parents they make take the entire family! I could just see all 12 of us at the airport!:ROFLMAO:

I remember spending a couple of hogmanays at my friend's parents place.... Dreich and cold.... one year it rained, the other year we were snowed in.:)

Thanks Ishbel! They haven't decided yet because they aren't sure what the weather is like in which months. I'll pass that site on to them also!

The weather is normally 'improving' by May, the midgies are not so prevalent as they don't start biting until about June.... July and August the island is full to the gunnels with tourists, so pre-booking is a real must!

If they need any further information, ask.... can't say I'll know all the answers, but I'd probably know someone who would!

Thanks Ishbel! You don't know how much I appriciate all of your & Jen's help. As soon as they told me they were planning this trip, this is the first place I tought of. I know my parents will appriciate it also!:)

Back
Top Bottom