Don't get hit by a tractor trailer!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Half Baked

Executive Chef
This is unbelievable.

Mr HB was sideswiped by a tractor trailer on his way home yesterday, on the Atlanta beltway. His tire was slashed and the back right side of the vehicle was all dented in. The truck and Mr HB pulled over on the side of the road, right before an exit, and Mr HB was talking to 911 when the truck took off up the exit ramp.

He was able to give the name of the truck and the license plate number to the operator. So the police show up and Mr HB asked if they had tracked down the driver yet. The police say...oh, wait for this !!!

The police say there is no way to track the tractor trailer because the license plate is for the trailer, not the actual truck. They asked Mr HB if he had gotten the number of the truck on the front license plate and he said, "NO, it's kinda hard to get the number off the front of the tractor while it's driving away."

He suggested that the police call the company that owned the tractor and they could immediately tell them the driver's name because they had the trailer number. The police said they wouldn't do that unless the insurance
company decided that they wanted to go to court.

Fortunately for us, it was Mr HB's company vehicle so they'll handle everything.

How angry would you be if it was your car and the police
would not take time at all to try to catch the trucker? This really has me aggravated.

The moral of this story is:
If you ever get hit by a tractor trailer, run to the front of the tractor and get that license plate number. The back one means nothing.

Last edited:
I can't say the things that I would be saying to the cops on here if it were me. Angry & aggrivated are on the bottom of the list of how I'd be feeling. I mean really, the trucker left the scene of an accident!!

Thank goodness Mr. HB is alright though! {{{HUGS to you both!}}}

I would call the highway patrol/DMV enforcement. At some point that trailer is going to go through a weigh station and it can be tracked.

I hope the company goes after this. Had it been our vehicle, I don't believe Mr HB would have been very cordial.

The driver can be traced many ways. Darn it, it was a :censored: hit and run!

Man that is horrible. I am just shaking my head in astonishment! I am sure glad he is OK HB! and I really hope you guys find the @#$% who did that!

If it was my car and we had the same information, I'd have my fingers around his neck w/i an hour.

I'm just gobstopped that it wasn't taken seriously.

If I did a hit and run, the SWAT team would be storming my house right now.

Last edited:
It's cheaper just to fix the car or call it totaled and pay for 1/2 a new one! The truth is when taxes are cut, services are cut because there is no money to pay for them. Services such as road repair, police and fire protection, snow removal, schools, medical and social services to the poor, elderly and handicapped get severly curtailed. I'm glad no one was hurt.

The cops fed Mr. HB a line and he bought it. Bottom line is they didn't want to do their job. He should contact the local District Attorney and file charges against the police. That is despicable and those cops don't deserve their badges. I get a mental picture of Jackie Gleason in Smokey and the Bandit.

Oh, he didn't buy it. He used to be the GM of a seafood trucking business and had a 100 semis running for him. All he wanted to do was get home and let the company deal with it.

I'd call the tv news and let them do a story but he won't let me. I sure hope they go after that creep.

So sorry HB! I'm so glad that it turned out with nothing more than some dents and dings and flared tempers especially having it happen on the highway no telling how it could of turned out. A blessing and a lesson all in one.

Thank you, shpj4...it's just so hard for me to believe that our Officers would treat an accident like this. :mad:

Hallelujah....the company is going after the driver! That gives me great satisfaction.

I'm glad to hear it, Jan. How maddening for Mr HB, though.

I guess that truck didn't have one of those "How Am I Driving?" slogans on the back either.

:LOL:
mudbug said:
I'm glad to hear it, Jan. How maddening for Mr HB, though.

I guess that truck didn't have one of those "How Am I Driving?" slogans on the back either.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Mudbug, you just made me spew sticky brandy all over my moniter and the keyboard!!! :LOL:

I'm sorry! But it was the first thing I thought of when I read about Mr HB's plight.

Actually, I seem to remember hearing/reading somewhere that those phone numbers to report driving habits are a bunch of bullsh too.

Back
Top Bottom