The biggest pumpkin!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
I'm watching the a show about a Pumpkin Festival in Circleville, Ohio. They have a contest for the largest pumpkin, and the winner this year had a 1355 lb. pumpkin!

Maybe this one didn't weigh 1355lb, but my tiny Napoleone made this baby look quite huge!!

img_334303_0_bca42532c16b090efe13dcdebbb08cd7.jpg

my Friend Bill grew one 3 years ago, we never got it weighed, but it took 3 of us to Roll it onto a canvas sheet and 4 of us to carry it to the truck, my Guess would have been at Least 400 pounds, it went to a Church raffle, I`ve no idea of it`s fate, but hollowed out, you could have Easily fit me and a half inside it :)

sadly last year we had a breakin and all the gardeners had all their pumpkins and squashes smashed and hacked up by youths, no one except for me and my Italian mate grew any this year :(
and even we only grew Squash, no one has Pumpkins this year :((

It looks as though it's the Festival's 100th anniversary - and it's happening next week!

http://www.pumpkinshow.com/

I have a real fondness for these local foodfests. I'm thinking of spending some of my retirement time - which can't get here soon enough - traveling around the U.S. seeing as many of them as I can: Gilroy Garlic, the Big Pig Jig, Castroville Artichoke, Memphis...there's too many to count. Beats sitting around complaining about the weather.:D

Anyone know whatever happened to Miss Artichoke 1947? Norma Jean something or other. :rolleyes:

I really enjoy Halloween and am fascinated with pumpkins, large or not. I wrote an article in October 2003 about pumpkin record-holders and how we came to call them Jack O'Lanterns. I'll share it with you if you want.

For those of you DCers in Canada, Ontario had their big pumpkin festival last weekend. Sounded like loads of fun.:)

Back
Top Bottom