Haircuts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amber

Executive Chef
I love my hair long, but it's getting a bit out of control. I always have problems deciding which hairstyle fits my face, and for that matter, what is the shape of my face? :LOL: I think it's an oval shape. My husband loves my hair short (medium short is the shortest I go!), but my hair tends to get very wavy after it's cut. I just need some help on what style to go with. Any hair dressers on here, or anyone with suggestions?

lol... I get mine cut once a year.
so, I'm certainly not the one to ask.
Jkath might have some ideas. She's good with this sort of thing.
Can we see a photo?

pdswife said:
lol... I get mine cut once a year.
so, I'm certainly not the one to ask.
Jkath might have some ideas. She's good with this sort of thing.
Can we see a photo?

Same with me, I only get mine cut maybe 2 times a year :LOL:

Photo?:ohmy: I hate having my picture taken. I just tried taking one but my batteries are dead in the digital camera. Recharging them, so maybe I can put one on here later.

Amber, the reason your hair curls right after the cut is because you're lightening up the weight. The longer your hair, the more it pulls on the natural wave/curl. Since you have that, I'd suggest getting an all-over layer and embracing your wave! With some strong gel & hard hold aerosol hair spray mixed in your hands (really!), use just the fingertips to apply the product throughout your damp (but combed thru) hair. keep mixing it in your palms and then using your fingertips till the product is all worked through, from roots to ends. (no clumping!) Let your hair dry naturally and you'll be amazed at how much volume you have. (and nothing's better than what the hair already wants to do already)

Another suggestion - for the next week, every time you see a woman with gorgeous hair (cut/style/color) ask her who does her hair. You'll make her day, but better yet, you'll get some great info. Keep it all written down, and I bet you'll see a trend, whether it's a particular stylist or a specific salon/spa.

Most importantly, walk in there and ask their opinion. Don't ask for the same thing you have. Tell them you want to look your best....and then send us a photo of the even better you!

Great tips Jkath! I hate the wave of my hair, but I better embrace it rather than fighting it :) I have some gel, and hairspray on hand, though I tend to use a leave-in conditioner and hairspray if needed. I'll definately try your suggestion though with the gel and hairspray. Oh and what a great idea to take notice of woman with cut/styles/haircolor that I like!

My batteries finally charged up and I took some photos so you all have the before photo...have to wait for hubby to help me out with the photos though, I forgot how to do it.

I will definately not ask for the same cut as usual, I really want their opinion, and really want to look..umm, well, lively and sexier :LOL:

Tomorrow I get my haircut :)

I'm very particular about who I let touch my hair...so I haven't gotten it cut professionally in over 10 years.
I am no help to you, whatsoever.:(

I have worn m air short now for so many years, course Iam older-:( and its fine straight hair, so a short cute works well for me. Plus it is soooo easy- 10 rools of the curling iron and off I go !! Good Luck and remember it does grow !!! :)

I cut off about 8" last year because I had an illness that made a lot of my hair fall out, and it just couldn't remain as long as it was after losing so much. With my hand forced, I had it cut by a local professional (because I couldn't imangine NOT having a professional do it) and once the lost hair began to return, I have to say, I can hardly look at the "before" pics with the long, long, poker straight hair. It's still longer than shoulder length, with some layers to help the outgrowth blend, and I love it now. It's easier and it looks much more stylish. I go about every 8 weeks for a trim and a color (since the outgrowth has a fair amount of gray now) so it stays nice all the time. I go this weekend for my touch up, and my only dilema is whether to go a shade darker for the winter or to have my highlights touched up.

BC

My pictures came out horrible! I am not showing them to you guys :LOL: It's like seeing myself on high definition tv, the wrinkles, the sagging eye lids...oh my! Oh well, it's only hair, it will grow back if I dont like the cut tomorrow.

Bluecat, I'm not sure about highlights or going darker for the winter. I think your suppose to use highlights in the summer and darker in the winter but I could be wrong. Maybe jkath can answer that.

I am very grey now, and wouldn't dream of a colour. I do envy those with a bit of wave in their hair, I think it is so pretty.

VeraBlue said:
I'm very particular about who I let touch my hair...so I haven't gotten it cut professionally in over 10 years.
I am no help to you, whatsoever.:(

another flow-bee devotee?

Flowbee-girl2.jpg
http://images.google.com/imgres?img...=flowbee&start=2&sa=X&oi=images&ct=image&cd=2
flowbee.gif

LOL, Buckytom! That must be it!

As for the highlight vs. dark, Amber, I thought the same thing. Might be time to go back to the darker shade.

BC

I, too, only had my hair cut once a year. Used to wear it shoulder length. But last winter exzema and psoriosis laid my scalp a ruins, and I lost most of it. I considered just shaving it, but maintained my equilibrium and nursed my couple dozen hairs. My hair did grow back in .... about half of it (I had thin, fine hair to begin with). But it grew in .... Very, Very, Very curly (it used to be very straight). I'm a little freaked. I've heard of this happening after Chemo. I visited my family in the spring, and my mom and sisters were really astonished. Everyone is. I really don't know how to deal with it. It is like some strange body is living on my scalp. Everyone says they like my "new look", and lots assume that I permed it.

Anyway, after living in a small town for 5 years, I think maybe it's time for a good haircut. I simply have been taking scizzors and lopping off the few stray straight bits (that stick out from the curly mass), or spraying it all with a conditioning spray and slicking it back into a bun.

yup, me too, once a year I have a Trim, just to keep the ends level, I`ve also never paid anyone to do this either.
when it`s wet it gets combed back then my wife just levels it off.
I think if I were to have it cut, she would probably never ever speak to me again!
the lengh down my back is just a little above belt level.

Re coulour, I have light blonde highlights in my hair, but when winter is dragging on and feeling dull I have extra light beigey-white ones put through my normal colour. Its kids myself that I might look as if I have just been skiing and cheers me up!

I have really curly hair, and last had it professionally cut....ooh, 5 years ago? probably more. because I never bother to straighten it these days I just lob the ends of the curls when they look like they need it and to change the shape....when it is wet and straight its all different lengths.

I think the most important thing is to have something that makes you happy done, and helps you smile when you look in the mirror. Whther its appropriate or not. My mother all ways looks longingly at the scarlet samples in the hairdresser and saighs saying she would love it if she were younger, so I always urge her to have a semi-permanant streak of flame put through, but she just laughs and shakes her head and me. But then I had pink hair for a while, so I guess I am not so reliable to offer colour advice!.....

have a great haircut and make sure you get spoiled and relaxed ;)

I went dark, as suggested. My stylist suggested the same. It really feels more "me" when it's dark anyway. I will probably do some highlights for fun next spring or summer.

BC

Back
Top Bottom