Inexpensive Knives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
kitchenelf said:
Hey, this thread is about knives, not scissors! :ROFLMAO: :LOL: :ROFLMAO: Sorry, couldn't help it - I'm off to bed - just stupid slaphappy!

Yes ma'am lol

sorry bout the private msg, i must have a popup blocker going .. not sure how to turn it off. it's gb's fault, he got me into firefox LOL

bevkile said:
Try this site. For an inexpensive knife, I like the Dexter Russell. You will want a good knife sharpener, in any case.

I've got a Dexter Russell Santoku I like.

thymeless

Hi Cindy - several others have mentioned it, but how the knife fits in your hand is the most important thing. I read that you have small hands - the Victorinox / Forschners and Dexter Russells' handles might be too large for you. You'll have to try them out and see for yourself. I have very large hands, and I own a couple of el cheapo Mundial commercial boning knives that I simply love. I also own a couple Forschners that fit my hand well. Many knife manufacturers "downsize" their handles as the blades get smaller....and those tiny handles drive people like me absolutely loopy. Chopping onions for a couple hours with a knife that doesn't fit is a painful experience. Sharp, cheap knives will serve you better than an expensive dull knife.

I'd say you can get a good serviceable knife for around 20-50 dollars; the Santokus several folks have mentioned are nice for small hands. Do you have a T.J. Maxx, Marshalls or Tuesday Morning in your town? Wander in there when you have some time and see what they've got. I've had good luck at second-hand stores and yard sales as well...you just have to stay vigilant. Good luck!

You guys are great!!!! I've learned so much about knives and even learned about brands I didn't know anything about. You have all made me feel more confident about picking one or a few out.

I picked up a set of the Miracle Blades. Why? Cuz they are the ones that I will leave in the kitchen that ANYONE can use for whatever they want to use them for.

I picked up a couple of santoku's, already my DH wants to use it for a cheese knife. LoL In a couple of months, I'm going to get a sharpending system and I'm going to try to do the butcher knife myself. If you don't hear from after that, it means I did too good a job and chopped off my fingers, and can't type anymore. :)

Thanks again for all your help!! :)

I found a chef's knife comparison in the December 2002 cooks illustrated. The winner was a Forschner 8 in. chef's that weighs 7.1 oz. & currently costs $23.95
http://cutlerymania.com/knives/ProductInformation.asp?ProductID=96

Number 2 was a Wusthof Grand Prix 8.2 oz.
Number 3 was an Oxo mv55 8 oz.
Number 4 was a J.A. Henckels four star 7.7 oz.

In the article they state that all the knives were good but some testers liked the lightweight knives & the softer textured plastic handles, some liked a heavier knife.
Here's an interesting quote from the article (As for forged vs. stamped, it simply doesn't matter, nor does the existence of a bolster). I'm not sure I'm buying either one of those comments but we are talking about inexpensive knives.

I have a Forschner fibrox 10" chef's knife and of all of my knives that's the one that need sharpened most often.

Maybe if I used the steel every time I used it might help.

When it is sharp it cuts nicely and there are uses where a knife with a thin blade is prefered.

Back
Top Bottom