BBQ pork burger with what cheese?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vanwingen

Cook
Got some ground pork. (Pork Shoulder)
Think I'm going to make a HONEY BARBECUE PORK BURGER. (honey BBQ sauce, brown sugar, molasses, dry mustard, soy sauce). :pig:

1-What would you suggest for a cheese? I have to have cheese on a burger!
cheddar? sharp? or EXTRA SHARP? Any other kinds of exotic cheese that goes with the above BBQ ingredients?

2-How about an onion? I love onions! A regular onion or a sweet onion ????

3-How about a slice of PANCETTA with the burger? Or how about just regular bacon? Maple smoked?

4-What kind of buns? Any special bread type? How about KING HAWAIIAN sandwich rolls?

5-And finally mustard. Honey mustard? DIJON MUSTARD? DIJON WITH HORSERADISH MUSTARD? TANGY SWEET?

6- Lettuce?

7- Any other suggestions?

Just curious how you all would make this pork burger with these ingredients!

Thanks! :) :chef:

Were it me, I'd have some grilled onions and a white cheese like monterey jack and that's it. I want the flavor of the pork and bbq sauce, don't need all the other stuff to make me happy. As for the bun, I'd opt for a large kaiser roll.

kadesma:)

for Pork done sweet like that, I think a Stilton or Danish blue cheese should go quite nicely with it :)

I'd go with a sharp cheddar, a slice of grilled pineapple, and Dijon mustard.
The King's Hawaiian bun sounds good, but I'd toast it. Serve a couple of olives and a slice of pickle on the side.

Last edited:
Blue would be good.

Smoked gouda or aged gouda. Smoked sharp cheddar.

Pepper Jack Cheese, if you're a chile freak, the habanero jack.

Some doctored cream cheese. Add some barbecue rub, some liquid smoke, some hot sauce, maybe some lemon/lime juice or cider vinegar.

I'd probably go with a smoked cheddar or pepper jack, but a number of cheese would work well

thymeless

It's hard for me to even consider a cheese but I might opt for Provolone - possibly the pepper jack would be the ONLY other option I would look into. Something to not conflict with the BBQ sauce - I can't quite see a stilton or bleu with a bbq sauce. Any kind of onion - red, sweet, white, I'd probably go with the red.

The BBQ sauce is what's throwing me. If I make burgers I want a burger - if I make pulled pork I'll have bbq sauce and slaw. Hey, what about some coleslaw on that pork burger???? Now THAT would be good! JMHO of course!

As far as mustard I'd go with a spicy brown.

I can see cheese with a mustard based barbecue sauce--my favorite--or the hot vinegary NC sauce, especially the Georgia White barbecue sauce based in Mayonnaise.

It's tougher with the tomato based ones, but many of them are based in ketchup so why not?

sweet or red onion, smokey bacon, cheddar or pepper jack cheese SHARP, tomato, crispy lettuce, yum!

I had a hard time with this question because if you say pork and bbq then I think pulled pork sandwiches. Then I started thinking about all the restaurant chains that serve bbq sauce on burgers - they usually have bacon on them I think. So this is a ground pork burger with bbq sauce (my mind still does not want to go there! lol).

thymeless, my first thought was the vinegar-based sauce - but it would just run off. Heck, just put EVERYTHING on it - including chili!

I wonder how it would be if you put some of that vinegar-based sauce IN the meat!!!!! But then that nix's the cheese for me. thymeless - come over, we'll talk about it over a pulled pork sandwich with vinegar base sauce! :chef: Shall I get beer or wine? :cool:

WOW, so many choices, I don't know where to begin!

I noticed nobody replied to the PANCETTA. What about it?

I've got some cranberry-honey mustard that absolutely rocks with pork! Now taking that into consideration, a sprinkle of feta or bleu. If not, try some young Mexican cheese which would melt nicely, but not interfere with flavors.

Ciao,

If you want to have bacon, for me it would be pancetta, no smoky flavor to mess with the pork and sauce.

kadesma

kitchenelf said:
thymeless - come over, we'll talk about it over a pulled pork sandwich with vinegar base sauce! :chef: Shall I get beer or wine? :cool:

I've had to give up all my favorite beverages for health reasons. But I was never into alcohol. I get addicted to things too easily. Water with lemon, or gingerale is about it for me now.

thymeless

Personaly, if the pork burgers are any good, I wouldn1t want to overwhelm the flavour so much, a blue cheese sure, onions would have to be fried to sweeten them, but I would add apple to it also, if i needed to add a mustard then a light skim of a good Quality wholegrain type (keep the vinigar content to bare min!).
as for the bread type, I`de be happy with most sorts, after the filling is correct, the rest is trivial and more a play on Eye pleasing and texture.

One of my new favorite beverages is spring water with seeded and chopped English cukes and mint in it - let them "marinate" for about 3 days then drink along with eating the chunks of cucumber! It's wonderful!

Just curious how you all would make this pork burger with these ingredients!
I wouldn't use cheese, and I would use barbecue sauce, perhaps bacon (not pancetta) and some sauteed onions. A "regular" burger bun. this takes me back to one of my favorite "sloppy sandwiches" ever, the burger at "The Original Painted doll" in Chicago! :)

Hmmmm I have some barbecue sauce left in the freezer... you just gave me a great idea for the weekend! :D

Pork Burgers

I like to use both pork and chicken for making burgers. With the pork, I would mix minced red onion and a little minced fresh garlic before cooking. I would serve on a whole wheat bun with honey mustard or a spicy ranch dressing,a slice of horseradish cheddar, thinly sliced tomato, and crispy lettuce. Pancetta wrapped cantaloupe would be good on the side.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom