What to cook!? Picky gf again!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goboenomo

Head Chef
Last time I was at my girlfriends house with her family, they were saying they didn't want to cook something the takes long, so I said (as a joke) "I'll do it."
They knew I could, but they knew I was joking, but they took advantage of that. Now I have to go over sometime and make a meal for my gf and her family.
My girlfriend is very picky.
No veggies, no fruits besides berries, no rice, nothing unique that she may have not tried, and no seafood.
Pretty much all I've seen her eat is pizza, chicken, sandwiches, hot dogs, hamburgers, steak and pork.

Sometimes she's picky about meat too.
One time I made a stir fry with carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, celery, rice, and chicken.

She didn't like one thing from it. I'm not sure if it was the meat, or the fact it was marinated in ginger. I had to make her a sandwich.

If anyone has any good ideas, that would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Alex

Last edited:
I was thinking you could fry up some breaded pork cutlets and serve them with macaroni and cheese. Then fix some green beans or something that the rest of the family would like.

I can't imagine anyone not liking a good mac & cheese.

Good grief, with a diet that limited, I'm amazed she's alive and well!

Maybe you could ask your girlfriend for a suggestion. At least that way it will be a sociable occasion if not a gourmet cuisine delight to test your culinary skills.

We presume she is well Snoop Puss....

I used to cook for little children a lot, I nanny-ed through universty holidays. I would ban junk food and get the kids cooking with me. Maybe thats what you need to do with your girlfriend Gobo. Faddy people tend to be won over by food they have helped prepare. Alternatively carrots, onion and celery, which add flavour and sweetness to most things, are easily hidden if very finely diced. If things are really bad you can put them in the food processor and whizz them to a pulp to add flavour. This is usful for most things, especially things like shepard's/cottage pie. If you are going to risk using veg and getting her helping then sweet and sour chicken served with noodles was a big hit. I put fresh pineapple and peppers of all colours in mine, and the kids ate them.....eventually.

I don't cook for people like that - period. I enjoy the challenge of cooking terrific meals for people with "real" dietary challenges - whether medical or ethical - but the true "picky eater" is, in my book, basically spoiled & self-centered. They don't like it - don't eat it. I certainly won't feel guilty - lol!!! Nor will I cater to their mental problems about food.

BreezyCooking said:
I don't cook for people like that - period. I enjoy the challenge of cooking terrific meals for people with "real" dietary challenges - whether medical or ethical - but the true "picky eater" is, in my book, basically spoiled & self-centered. They don't like it - don't eat it. I certainly won't feel guilty - lol!!! Nor will I cater to their mental problems about food.
Breezy, you and I must be related! Growing up, in our whole family (not just the immediate one at our house) if you didn't like what was served for a meal, you didn't eat. No one asked what we wanted for lunch or dinner. The meal was provided and we ate it. and we all learned to like a lot of different foods. Some things, not so much, and some not at all. I have not-fond memories of choking down cottage cheese doused with mustard to disguise it... still cannot stand the stuff!:rolleyes:

But I can't be bothered with people who wont even TRY something they haven't ever had before! No way they can know they don't like it!

Gobo, I'm afraid I'd offer her a bowl of oatmeal if she didn't want the meal, and she could get it for herself! :ohmy:

I tend to agree with you BC. I am happy not to cook one particular thing for people...for example, if i know someone doesn't like mushrooms then I ould not serve them, but people who come with a long list of "I don't likes" rather than "I can't eats" are tiresome. There are somethings I don't like but I would always eat if offered them if someone had cooked them for me. And the thing I really dislike I wish I did like. I cook it and try it all the time as it sounds so good, but I just can't make myslf like fennel. I'll never stop trying though, lol.

We have friends over for dinner quite frequently. Two couples have teenage daughters who won't eat much of anything. I didn't cook special meals for my own children, but these aren't my kids so I baby them.
One of the girls loves my grilled cheese sandwiches. The other is happy with cooked pasta with butter and cheese only, or a baked potato. They both love Kim's grilled burgers.

How about serving her something exotic like a pine float? (Translated: Toothpicks and water.) Actually, though, you don't say how old she is and how she was "handled" by her family when it comes to her food preferences.

If she's rather young, she may not have been exposed to a variety of new foods and has decided, without even trying them, she doesn't like them. If her family has always catered (sorry, just had to use that word) to her, then you have a challenge ahead of you.

I think Snoop Puss has the right idea. Query her and find out just what she would be willing to eat. Think back to the sandwiches and hamburgers you said she ate. What did she put on them? That would give you some clue about her accepted food combinations. Build from there. Same for chicken, steak and pork.

You could work backwards. That is, begin planning your dessert item. You said she likes berries. Good. How about something like strawberry sorbet? Of a fresh berry compote.

You wouldn't have to get too complex with the main course since she seems to be so limited in her likes. Search cookbooks for ideas and see if there are any recipes that have most of the ingredients you are sure she'll eat. Improvise and build.

Best of luck.

lol ishbel. :LOL:

gobo, i vote for getting another girlfriend. an impossibly skinny one that likes to eat. it'll drive your (current) old girlfriend crazy.

goboenomo,
Reading your post carefully, I suspect you masochistically volunteered for abuse. If I am wrong, and you were tricked into an obligation you would rather not repeat, then I recommend:

Appetizer
Spicy chicken feet
Main Course
Braised tongue with mustard greens
Dessert
Poached cactus pears

Last edited:
I agree with the others, her diet is rather limited. Pick the main meal (steak, pork, chicken) and then ask them what sides they want with it. Does she like potatoes at least? You can do alot with potatoes. Maybe try a pork tenderloin, with some sort of potatoes, and make a berry compote (cranberries would be good), to server over the pork, and one other vegetable that her parents like.

Gobo, Gobo, Gobo! Your culinary skills and desires to be even more learned in the fine art of cooking are being wasted on this girl and her coddling family. She may be the cat's meow, but honestly, could you imagine getting married to someone like this that you'd have to put aside all cooking aspiratons for? If not, find another girl who appreciates your artistic skills!

With that said, If I were you, I'd cook something I'm really proud to cook, that I love to eat. If she says she's not eating it, say, "Well, that's what I made, and I spent time on it." Don't apologize and don't make her anything else. If she chooses to not eat it, or makes herself something else, I'd finish eating, excuse myself from the table, and go home.

I know all these folks are half-jokingly telling you to toss this girl to the curb, but don't do it over something like her food preferences. My fiancee is really weird about food as well. Granted, not like your girl is gobo, but she is very picky, and really likes plain dishes. That said, we have an excellent relationship, and she loves when I cook for her, b/c it is so easy to cook for her that it's easy to do an awesome job. So while you may not get to test your creativity with her, you should take pleasure in the fact that she has a very simple palette.

Maybe chicken cordon blue? Pound chicken breasts till thin, layer swiss cheese (maybe try provolone or mozzarella if she's really picky about cheese) and a couple slices of ham or canadian bacon one one half of the chicken. Fold in half (so it looks like a sandwich). Dredge in a small amount of flour (season the flour with salt and pepper and maybe a bit of garlic powder)...then dip into 2 eggs that have been beaten well with 1 tbsp water...then coat with breadcrumbs. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 mins or till done. I haven't figured out a decent non-veggie side dish for this...but you could always serve with buttered and seasoned egg noodles, and then some veggies for the rest of the fam.

Or, if she's into pizza, you could make some type of Italian pasta dish. A simple ground beef spaghetti sauce on pasta with crusty garlic bread might please everyone.

My son is ultra-picky. I just make sure that there is something in the meal that he can eat. If he's going to pick the chicken out of a stir fry, I'll just add an extra helping of chicken to the dish.

I can't dump my kid, though. You have options:innocent:

for picky people - it's easier to just ask what they would like. That way you can't get it wrong.

Well reading over your posts, I see there are alot of different suggests.

She is turning 18 on November 6th. She was brought up eating whatever she wanted. If she didn't want it, they would make something else.
For instance, when I went over for dinner one, her mom made pork in cream of mushroom soup, rice, corn and peas. Since my gf doesnt like any of those, they had to cook the pork alone and add their sauce after, they had to make instant mashed potatoes for her, and thats all she ate.

She is a skinny girl, and she can eat alot, but she doesn't often.
I don't know why you would even suggest leaving her. We've been together for almost 9 months now..... and I..... love her.....( see you gotta know it's true... i said that word... i never say that word) no matter what food she likes a dislikes.

Back
Top Bottom