Turkey/Cranberry/Sage Sausage Sides?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BreezyCooking

Washing Up
As I posted over on the "what's for dinner" thread, today one of the local organic produce & meat farms - specializing in rare heritage breeds - had its annual charity farm tour & bazaar benefiting humane societies throughout Virginia. So after an absolutely perfect day enjoying the sights, sounds, & smells of crisp autumn, we popped into the next village to do some shopping, & enjoy a late lunch.

This particular organic/heritage breed farm has it's own market store in town that, while VERY pricey, always has me drooling over all the lovely organic meat products. Two very long glass cases filled with wonderful cuts of meat - just like the butcher shops you don't see much of anymore.

So anyway - getting to the point - I bought 4 lovely LARGE (1-1/4 pounds) "Turkey/Cranberry/Sage" sausages, fresh-made the day before from free-range heritage-breed turkey, that I plan to make for dinner tomorrow (Monday) night. I've never had these before, & while I don't believe they'll be "sweet" in the way that some Chicken/Apple sausages are, I'm having a difficult time deciding what to serve with them.

Perhaps just a Wild Rice mix & a green salad? Glazed turnips & a salad?
Any other ideas?

Breezy,
I like the rice idea a lot. I'm also thinking about some soft rolls to ploop the sausage in after cooking then serve with a salad or soup or even beans..Sounds as if you got a wonderful sausage. We've had some similar here and usually go the bun route, but I'm thinking of rice the next time.

kadesma:)

I didn't even see this yesterday - sorry!

Wild rice does sound like the perfect accompaniment to the sausage! Brussels sprouts would go for a veggie if you like them (I made too many, want some of mine?) I would say any vegetable but carrots - for some reason I just don't see carrots going with this.

I like the wild rice and salad combo.

Thanks guys!!!

If I had ever had these before, I'd have a better idea of what to pair them with. I mean, who knows, they could be sweeter than I think. They just looked so luscious in the case (along with the chicken/apple, pork chorizo, beef chorizo, pork jerk seasoned, french lamb, pork bratwurst, beef bratwurst, pork hot Italian, pork sweet Italian, pork kielbasa, beef kielbasa, Russian seasoned, etc., etc., etc. You get the idea. It was like being in sausage heaven!!! And all made fresh the day before from heritage-breed animals raised free-range & organic.

I'll have to post a review after we eat them tonight, regardless of what I serve with them - lol!!!

Yes Breezy,
let us know how you liked them and what you had to go with them.
kadesma:)

Well - all I can say is that these sausages were DANGEROUSLY delicious - the texture, taste - you could definitely tell these were homemade sausages. The "turkey" taste was definitely pronounced, the whole cranberries appropriately tangy, & the whole sage leaves definitely made a super finish. All I can say is - Wow.

I ended up pan-searing/cooking them in some extra-virgin olive oil in my cast-iron skillet & serving them atop some plain buttered egg noodles with a green salad on the side.

I would definitely buy these again - it's a shame they're so pricey - lol!!!

What's more important: amzing food that you know where it came from.....
or cheap mystery food?

The sausages sound so delicious!!

Back
Top Bottom