Making bread crumbs.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ron W.

Senior Cook
How do you make your bread crumbs.

Would like some new bread crumb ideas.

Ron

If I think about it I'll leave the bread out open to air on the counter overnight. Otherwise I'll throw them in the oven for awhile to dry them out. then I tear them into pieces and put in the food processor and let it rip. If breads on sale I sometimes buy several loaves and make up a batch of plain and a batch of italian herb.

Italian Herb......just a blend of basil, oregano, parsley, garlic powder, kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper.

do it all the time. Pre heat the oven to 350-400 deg, stick the sliced bread let it seat till lihtly brown. Or season with what ever you might like. Just like above said I too use food processor. I never throuogh old bread away. I just keep making bread crumbs.

I guess great minds run in the same channels, Sizzlin...that's exactly how I do mine, except that I usually just make what I need at a time.
When I was feeding a family, I used to save odds of bread and buns in a bag in the deep freeze, and used that for bread crumbs.

I also make fresh breadcrumbs for topping casseroles. I prefer French bread for these, if I have it. I put bread in food processor and pulse just a few times. Melt a few tablespoons of butter in a skillet, add bread crumbs and toss with butter. Let brown just a bit.
Homemade croutons are wonderful, too. I toss them with olive oil and whatever seasonings I'm in the mood for, spread out on a cookie sheet and toast in oven at 350. When one side is brown, turn the croutons with a spatula, and brown the other side.
Any kind of bread works for these...rye and wheat breads are great for soups and salads.
As for seasoning suggestions, a packet of dry Italian or Ranch dressing, a good garlic/herb seasoning, Parmesan Cheese, Creole or Taco seasoning, Pops-rite Popcorn Salt, or powdered cheddar cheese seasoning are a few of the ideas I can come up with off-hand.
You can also save leftover biscuits...they make a nice topping for casseroles...or you can "streuselize" them for fruit. Just toss the crumbs with sugar and cinnamon, and toss with a little melted butter. Toast, or put over fruit filling and bake in oven. :)

Last edited:
Forgot to tell how I make mine.

Tear old bread into small chunks, put in food processor to make crumbs and toast in skillet on med for a few minutes and drizzle some olive oil just before using.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom