Hand mixer with a dough hook attachment?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lindatooo

Head Chef
I have heard of a hand mixer that has a dough hook attachment. Has anyone heard of such a thing and perhaps know where I can look for one?

TIA
2 in Or

Yes its real! My new handmixer (chosen because it was the cheapest in the Italian supermarket) has dough hooks! I have not used them though....

I would tell you if I were in Italy today...I'll get DH to tell me tomorrow for you. I think its worth looking at the cheapest brands though...this certainly was....

hang on, I just googled "hand mixer dough hook" and got a list, I don't think any are mine but: Braun M880, Oyster Deluxe,Euro-pro.....there seem to be a lot of them. Looking briefly just at the search page the reviews do not seem to hot....but see what you think, as I say, I haven't used the dough hooks myself...

It seems to me that using a hand mixer to do a dough would be very hard on the hand, wrist and arm.

Yes, that is what the reviews seem to be saying. I knead by hand and while that can be hard work my guess it it is not as hard as dealing with the reverb up you arm. I bought it for the hand whisk-y bit, but it was the cheapest.

I have the Braun M880. I've used the dough hooks before. It's not bad for small batches of dough but it can be tough on the arm! I tried to make a double batch of pizza dough (would make 6 Pizzas) for a party since my KA bowl is not big enough. It was slow and tough going but I can make biscuits and rolls okay. If you have a stand mixer with dough hooks I would recommend that instead for most of your dough.

I have a KA stand mixer with a dough hook--have had it for 40+ years. I believe I can count on one hand the number of times I have used the dough hook to make bread. And I do make bread. Knead by hand and enjoy the process.
I cannot imagine that there would be a very long life to this mixer either, let alone the tennis elbow that it could generate!! ;o)

lindatooo said:
I have heard of a hand mixer that has a dough hook attachment. Has anyone heard of such a thing and perhaps know where I can look for one?

TIA
2 in Or
I've just bought a hand mixer that came with a dough hook, Sunbeam brand, don't know if you can get them. The major problem with it is that all of the attachments are to short, I haven't tried the dough attachment but I don't think it would work very well

My KA has a dough hook but I confess I haven't used it much. I like to get down with the dough.

edited: my bad, I was reading this too fast and didn't realize you were talking about a HAND mixer.

I use my food processor for bread dough...works like a charm! And speaking of my food processor, I love it for so many things. I have the Hamilton Beach Big Mouth and it's WONDERFUL! You can slice whole potatoes and tomatoes as well. Love it, love it!
LindaB

lindatooo said:

Heck Linda - they are all over the place!

If you go to HSN you can pick from Bravetti, Rival, Wolfgang Puck and Oster.

Go to QVC and you get Braun and KitchenAid.

And you have WalMart, K-Mart, Target, Sears, Macy's, Penny's, and Ace Hardware ... among other stores ... you just have to check the box to see if they have dough-hooks.

What are you wanting the dough-hooks on a hand mixer for?

For the life of me I can not see, or imagine, how on earth it would work. I make bread on an almost daily basis (I use my KA), and am sitting here trying to form a picture in my head of me using a hand held dough hook when even my KA gets warm from the effort......is it just me :ermm:

I have a kitchenaid hand mixer I bought at Macys. I think it was about $60. It has a whisk, dough hook and immersion blender attachment. The immersion blender attachment is made of plastic, so it's only for light jobs, but the dough hooks and whisks work well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom