Five Course Degustation Menu

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ironchef

Executive Chef
Haven't posted any food pics lately, but here's one that I did recently. It was a five-course degustation menu for $90.

First Course: Trio of Fruits of the Sea: Sake Poached Shrimp with a Wasabi-Lime Aioli, Tristan Lobster Summer Roll with Ponzu Sauce, Pacific Dungeness Crab Salad with a Preserved Lemon and Ginger Emulsion

Second Course: Salad of Slow Roasted Beets, Maui Goat Cheese, Micro Greens, Vine Ripened Tomatoes, Yuzu Dressing

Third Course: Braised Kobe Beef Shortrib Tian with Crispy Taro and Miniature Onion Rings, Taro and Fuji Apple Puree, Truffled Demi Glace

Fourth Course: Grilled Kanpachi with Bacon Braised Lentils, Asparagus, Vine Ripened Tomato, Pea Shoots, Citrus-Miso Emulsion

Fifth Course: Puree of Fresh Stawberry "Soup", Vanilla Gelato, Cookie Tuile

GORGEOUS!!!! Bet it tastes wonderful. I'm not a chef, not even close, but what in the world is a degustation meal? I have never ever heard that term before.

Cindy said:
GORGEOUS!!!! Bet it tastes wonderful. I'm not a chef, not even close, but what in the world is a degustation meal? I have never ever heard that term before.

Cindy - a degustation menu is a tasting menu of smaller portions in which a foodie can savor LOTS of different things, a true foodies heaven!

A degustation menu is about the FOOD, not the company :blush:

It looks and sounds wonderful, Ironchef!

When I was in Lisbon in the Spring, the chef at the hotel where we stayed did a degustation menu, just for my husband and me.... We had become friendly with him and he suggested that we try one of his degustation meals on a Sunday evening when he knew he wouldn't be too busy. Must see if I can look out the menu and I'll post it - stupidly, we didn't think to take a camera into the restaurant. :rolleyes:

goboenomo said:
Isn't gelato supposed to be surved between the appitizer and main course? :P

Gelato is a dessert. It's an Italian "ice cream" although there's no cream in it. You're thinking of a sorbet which can also be served as a dessert, or as an intermezzo/palate cleanser.

Ironchef, again you've proven what a culinary artist you really are!

The courses are beautiful, and the various colors are so appealing!

I wish I could taste these wonderful creations. I love just about any seafood and your salad course looks fantastic, as does your dessert. I would pass on the beef course only because beef doesnt agree with me, but other than that it looks so appealing.

All of these dishes are eye candy to me with your color and textures.

Thanks. Sometimes it's frustrating though because what comes out on the menu can be dependant on other factors that are out of the chef's control. This was one of my more "vanilla" degustation menus, meaning that it was nothing too cutting edge because I had both cost and staffing restraints. But then sometimes it doesn't have to be totally avant garde. As long as the flavors are there, most diners will be happy.

kitchenelf said:
Cindy - a degustation menu is a tasting menu of smaller portions in which a foodie can savor LOTS of different things, a true foodies heaven!

A degustation menu is about the FOOD, not the company :blush:

OH WOW!!!! Wish I had the money!!!! BTW, that's how I like it, a little of this, and a little of that. I'M HUNGRY!!! Thanks a lot!!! lol

Gossie said:
What are micro greens and pea shoots? Looks yummy whatever it is :)

Micro Greens are just basically an assortment of the sprouts of other vegetables such as brocolli, curly cress, arugula, mustard greens, etc.

Pea Shoots are basically exactly that, the shoots (tendrils/leaves) of growing peas, most commonly from snow peas.

Back
Top Bottom