Knife Sharpening

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes. Nice video. What were you "wondering" about?
Most of us won't be sharpening with a stone as he has. I wish I had my dad's--my sister does, and her husband keeps her knives saber sharp. I just had my knives sharpened at Sur la Table. They had just gotten past what I could do well. They use a mechanical sharpener, but they are OK. I prefer to have it done on a wheel.

I was just wondering if this was the proper way to do it? He makes it look easy. Well, kinda.

Things that "look easy" are usually the result of lots of practice. But you have to start somewhere, don't you?

Some days I've been wounded by very sharp knife. My husband told me that he will not sharpen my knifes any more. But I like to make salads were all ingredients cut into small cubes. I've bought a vegetable cutter for me and for my friend also. She enjoys my gift and my husband glad not to see my wounded hands. See my "lovely kitchen helper" picture here LINK REMOVED

Last edited by a moderator:
a sharp knife is a sharp knife!

home cook said:
My husband told me that he will not sharpen my knifes any more. But I like to make salads were all ingredients cut into small cubes.
Your husband is very wrong, and is putting you in danger. A sharp knife is much safer than a dull one and your food quality will improve for not having its cell walls crushed by a dull blade. Spyderco sells a wonderful sharpener (comes with instructional video) for around 50 bucks that'll allow you to keep your knives at a razor sharpness, or sharper. That way you won't need your husband to sharpen your knives, although you can still keep him around to kill bugs.

Back
Top Bottom