Celebrations!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
texasgirl said:
With everything bad going, at least there are 2 things that are good. My baby turns 20 today. Whew, I feel old now.

When I turned 40, I mentioned to my dad how old I felt. He said, "How do you think it makes me feel?" Now I know how he felt. My oldest daughter would have been 40 last year, and Kim's son turned 40 last fall. Where did the time go?

Constance said:
When I turned 40, I mentioned to my dad how old I felt. He said, "How do you think it makes me feel?" Now I know how he felt. My oldest daughter would have been 40 last year, and Kim's son turned 40 last fall. Where did the time go?

I hear you, Connie. Our children are nudging up to the "40" mark and I wonder where the time went. Surprisingly, I still feel quite young emotionally. Now, when it comes to the bod, that's a different story. Gettin' old ain't for sissies.

This gives me an uplift!:)

What then? Shall we sit idly down and say
The night hath come; it is no longer day?
The night hath not yet come; we are not quite
Cut off from labor by the failing light;
Something remains for us to do or dare;
Even the oldest tree some fruit may bear;
Not Oedipus Coloneus, or Greek Ode,
Or tales of pilgrims that one morning rode
Out of the gateway of the Tabard inn,
But other something, would we but begin;
For age is opportunity no less
Than youth itself, though in another dress,
And as the evening twilight fades away
The sky is filled with stars, invisible by day.

Extract From “ Morituri Salutamis by
Henry W Longfellow

Constance said:
How beautiful, Csalt! I'm saving that to read when I get to feeling useless.

That tells you why I have it saved in my 'Poetry' file and read it often:LOL:

It was in a Christmas Card I received from an elderly lady whom I used to act as Caregiver for. She had such an indomitable spirit and was extremely funny too. ( I'll never forget you Ruth):)

I'm celebrating that my students' awards assembly is over. I was a bundle of nerves trying to get all organized with the other 2nd grade teachers and it all worked out very nicely. We were all so proud of our little 2nd graders. Today, I gave them their going away gift and letter. I'm going to see them for 5 more days but it's getting so hard to say goodbye to them.

Today, we also celebrated my BIL's 34th birthday. I baked him a cake and cooked a nice Italian dinner for him. My husband and kids were very happy to have him over. He's like another Dad to the kids; kind hearted, patient, playful and a great counselor. (He's also available ladies...lol). I may just nominate him to be the next "Bachelor". We are blessed to have him in our lives as he's helped us with our teenage son who goes through ups and downs every now and then.

Last edited:
Well, congratulations on a good assembly, Dina. Just think, you helped all those kiddos in another step in their lives. Good for you!!

Buck and I are enjoying one of our warm weather pleasures...porch settin'. It's a beautiful night. The temp is perfect and the sounds of the night creatures are our "music."

I just glanced out at the front yard and driveway and was treated to a light show, compliments of our first season's lightning bugs.

I almost want to go inside and find an old mayonnaise jar, poke some nails through the lid and catch some of the glowing creatures.

Thank you Txgirl. Well today my daughter got commended performance in Science, Reading and Math TAKS with perfect scores on all exams. She was named the only one in the whole school to achieve these scores. I was so proud and happy for her! She also got chosen as a Duke University talent search and A Honor Roll. Later, she and her classmates sang "You'll Be In My Heart" by Phil Collins to their teacher, gave her roses and presented her with a powerpoint presentation of pictures of their year together. Almost everyone was in tears as you can imagine (mostly us moms). The day was amazing and today I celebrate my beautiful daughter and beautiful people who care like her teachers.

http://imageshack.us]

Congratulations Dina on your 2nd Graders achievements; on your evident love and care for them and on your lovely daughter and her achievements and her equally lovely Mother.:)

Last edited:
Geez Dina, you have me sniffling and I'm a LOOOONG way from that auditorium. Congrats you your special lady. She is a wonderful girl. Hugs to you and all three of your sweethearts from their Canadian Auntie.

Fabulous news, Dina. You must be wanting to shout it from the top of a mountain. I know I would. Congratulations on a fine, fine job of being a parent. Your daughter's achievements are a reflection of your love and support.

Thank you all so much. We are so proud of her. She's now at the 5th/6th grade mascarade dance. She looked adorable in her dress. I will have to post some pics just as soon as I figure out the new camera.

Today, we are also celebrating my son passing his math class. Amazingly, he was able to bring it up 50 points within 2 weeks. I call it laziness on his part but he got his act together just as soon as he was told he wasn't going on vacation with us to Hawaii and staying with his uncle to go to summer school. But, YEY! He did it! I'm very proud of him too. Got to go cook something now. Thanks and talk to you all later. Hugs,

Dina, you have every right to be proud of both your children , they both have done very well, and to show you and themselves they can succeed in whatever they choose.. Good job Kids !!

Last edited:
Thanks Katie! That is good to know. I will be checking them out pretty often.

You will probably all laugh at my celebration, but I am serious! We have been married a little over 4 years and we just finally got a dresser a few days ago! We could never afford one before. Other than what we hung in the closet we didn't have anywhere to put any of our clothes (we do have a small cabinet for towels). We got a really good deal on this one. It is low and wide with 8 drawers, hunter green with a natural pine color top. We paid $45 for it. If it isn't new it is close to it. A few years ago my daughter did send money to buy a dresser (my Mother's Day gift), which we did. Unfortunately it had major problems so we returned it. The store didn't have any other dressers in that price range (it is kind of a "junk" shop, as the owner calls it, so she has some furniture but not much) so we were never able to replace it. You do not know how much getting this dresser meant to us. I feel much less slovenly. :cool:

:) Barbara

Barbara L said:
Thanks Katie! That is good to know. I will be checking them out pretty often.

You will probably all laugh at my celebration, but I am serious! We have been married a little over 4 years and we just finally got a dresser a few days ago! We could never afford one before. Other than what we hung in the closet we didn't have anywhere to put any of our clothes (we do have a small cabinet for towels). We got a really good deal on this one. It is low and wide with 8 drawers, hunter green with a natural pine color top. We paid $45 for it. If it isn't new it is close to it. A few years ago my daughter did send money to buy a dresser (my Mother's Day gift), which we did. Unfortunately it had major problems so we returned it. The store didn't have any other dressers in that price range (it is kind of a "junk" shop, as the owner calls it, so she has some furniture but not much) so we were never able to replace it. You do not know how much getting this dresser meant to us. I feel much less slovenly. :cool:

:) Barbara
Barb,
that is great..except I'd never ever buy YOU as slovenly!!! I'm so happy for you..Just what you needed and at the right time..YEA!
kadesma:)

My computer is mostly fixed! WOOHOO! Not all the way fixed, but working better than it has in AGES!

Daughter got awards yesterday, one for having an average above 90% overall and one for having the best mark in computers. And no...she didn't fix the computer. LOL.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom