Celebrations!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Our celebration. We, our two daughters, 2 sons in law and 2 grandsons had a wonderful party, along with other friends and family for my dear hubby's 80th birthday. It was a most wonderful evening. Took place Oct. 14th.

This may sound minor, but to me it's major.

Daughter is reading to fulfill a reading log assignment in English, a subject she hates. Also hates reading in general.

For the past 60 minutes she has been immersed in "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn", which I suggested, with nary a complaint.

Can I tell you how much this former English major is smiling right now?

Oh Mudbug, I hear you! There is nothing more wonderful to a reader than to see their kid reading (and enjoying!) books. Hallelujah!

I was told yesterday by 3 teachers what a wonderful job I've been doing as a sub & how much they appriciate my entusiasim to work. My next celebration will come wen TC decides what he wants to do for his science fair project! :rolleyes:

You deserve all of that praise and then some crewsk. You are a sweet and wonderful person here, and I can only assume you are wonderful to the kids too. Way to go!

Today, was such a fun day at our school. Teachers and students got to dress up as their favorite book character and march on the school parade! Four of my students dressed up: one was an angel, a US President in a suit (heehee), Mickey Mouse and Esmeraldo from Hunchback of Notre Dame. I was Esmeralda as well. I'll post some pictures soon. That started the day off right and the kids had fun for the rest of their half day.

Later, we had our Thanksgiving celebration with all the teachers and administrators. Everything was so delicious and we got to relax a bit.

Starting tonight at 7:30 Paul has the next NINE days off!!! 2 weekends and one paid week!! He was supposed to have Thursday and Friday off but they finished a HUGE project so BILL gave his group and a few others the whole week off with pay!!!! 9 days to play. We leave for Oregon Tuesday!

Dina, my girls have done a Storybook Character fashion show for years, its one of the most treasured activities at the school. How neat to know you guys did it too. I know the kids LOVE it.

pdswife, WHOOEE! Have fun! That sounds fabulous!

My rather minor celebration is that I got my hair cut!! I finally found someone who does it well (not so easy as we all know) and doesn't charge me $65 to do it. Just to top off my celebration, she is within walking distance too! YAY!

This will sound silly to anyone who has never lived apart from there OH, but Dh found some really good phone cards today and we got 108 minutes on the phone, actually talking, rather than a snatched few minutes and lots of emails!

I am celebrating phone cards!

I'm so glad Alix thought of this thread.

Earlier this week, I was in our shop when a group of people came in to browse. Most of them were locals, but one couple was visiting from Arizona. Even though I'm married, everyone here still refers to me as Katie O'Neill or Dr. O'Neill's daughter. My daddy was a country doctor here from 1954 until his death in 1973. He treated everyone from people to pets and was more of a Marcus Welby than a Dr. Kildare. He made housecalls and even delivered a baby on our kitchen table once.

At any rate, one of the locals introduced me to the Arizona folks and then they all started going on and on and on about Dr. O'Neill this and Dr. O'Neill that. They must've gone on for 15 or 20 minutes. Daddy truly was loved and, 33 years later as of this November 5th, he's certainly not forgotten. I felt as though he was standing beside me. It was a glorious feeling. He was the best...to everyone.

Last edited:
lulu, I admire the fact that you aren't complaining about being separated from your DH. Lord knows you would hear the whining all the way to the UK if I weren't with Ken. YAY PHONE CARDS!!

Katie, what a lovely story. Isn't it nice to know your Dad had such a huge impact on so many folks? Gave me the warm fuzzies just to read it.

I love reading about you all's great moments! Thanks for this thread Alix. We took the kids to a corn maze on Saturday and got lost for over a hour. That was an experience. I played tetherball with the kids, they played on a potato sack slide, played in a corn box (instead of a sand box) and burried my two sons under the corn, roasted marshmallows by the fireplace sitting on some hay stacks, and ate some buttered corn in a cup...yummy. What a FUN afternoon! DH and I got to relieve some stress and had some good, quality time with our kids. Being out in the country was so much fun and relaxing. For those of you who live out in the country, YOU are one lucky fellow. Enjoy every bit of it.

What a great thread, Alix! Thanks! I had a great day. Today I met with most of my 14-year old daughter's teachers at the Jr. High. My DD is a bit social (to say the least) and very very dramatic. Last year DH and I spent alot of time (an hour or more) with her almost every night doing homework. Towards the end of the year we speculated she was not paying attention at school because she knew she had us to lean on. This year we took the sink or swim approach - do it on your own (of course we would help if she didn't understand). She brought home all As and one B - on her own! Every teacher said she was a wonderful addition to their classroom (which was great news because anyone who has a teenage girl knows how hormonal, moody and bratty than can be), very bubbly, always happy and doing great! Her history teacher suggested she be placed in the accelerated class in HS next year and we found out that the math class she is in now will be an accelerated class next year and that she is actually learning out of the HS book right now. I am so proud of her! She has done it and she has done most of it on her own! It is so great to see your kids succeed and to have our evenings back! Yahoo!

Michelemarie said:
What a great thread, Alix! Thanks! I had a great day. Today I met with most of my 14-year old daughter's teachers at the Jr. High. My DD is a bit social (to say the least) and very very dramatic. Last year DH and I spent alot of time (an hour or more) with her almost every night doing homework. Towards the end of the year we speculated she was not paying attention at school because she knew she had us to lean on. This year we took the sink or swim approach - do it on your own (of course we would help if she didn't understand). She brought home all As and one B - on her own! Every teacher said she was a wonderful addition to their classroom (which was great news because anyone who has a teenage girl knows how hormonal, moody and bratty than can be), very bubbly, always happy and doing great! Her history teacher suggested she be placed in the accelerated class in HS next year and we found out that the math class she is in now will be an accelerated class next year and that she is actually learning out of the HS book right now. I am so proud of her! She has done it and she has done most of it on her own! It is so great to see your kids succeed and to have our evenings back! Yahoo!
Brava to your fine young lady and BRAVA to you, what a spectacular mom you are...You should be so very proud.

kadesma:)

Back
Top Bottom