Beware of Irregular or Fast Heart Rate!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Corey123

Washing Up
To All Members,

Please be aware of your heart rate!! If you notice an irregular or fast heart rate, it could spell serious trouble!!!:ohmy:

For many years, I've noticed my heart beating irregualry at times. The last few months, it really began to rear its ugly head and last week, it had me going to the emergency room to have it looked at!! I was diagnosed with congestive heart failure!!! I was immediately hospitalized for four days. I was a walking time bomb and didn't even know it at the time!!:ohmy:

I got confused on which medicine to stop taking per order of the doc and got myself into some serious trouble! My heart was beating so fast that it also had me gasping for air at night and in the hospital! Fluid was in my lungs! I thought that I was going to die!!!:ohmy:

Long story short, I was ultra-sounded to make sure that I had no blood clots, then I was put to sleep for about 15 minutes and my heart had to be shocked-treated with a defilbrilator to return it back to its regular normal beat - which was successful.:)

But that means more medicine to help keep it that way. I'm back home now, but I went through something that I wouldn't want anyone else to go through! And a lot of it has to do with the food you eat.:ermm:

So please, if you notice anything strange with your heart and if it beats strangely, do not hesitate to have it checked out. It could mean the difference between life and death!!!:ohmy:

Last edited:
I'm glad you have had a diagnosis. It is not a difficult problem to medicate and keep controlled. Unfortunately, with certain types of this, the long time fibrillation leads to an enlarged heart chamber and there is an added problem that can lead to stroke (the ultra-sound/blood clot). So your advice to be diagnosed is, of course, excellent.
If someone is not familiar with the feeling of an irregular heartbeat, it is that sort of "jump" feeling--when you truly feel as if your heart has missed a beat. A sort of "hole in the chest" feeling.

Yes!!

I noticed it but ignored it for years. Thought nothing of it!!

I was on blood thinners (Heperin and Cumiton) to reduce or eliminate the chance of any blood clots which could cause a stroke, heart attack, or one could get into the lungs, which is also fatal. I'm STILL on them.

A-fibrillation, it is called. And if fluid gets into your lungs, you'll get a tight feeling in your chest and your oxygen will be cut off, making you gasp desparately for air!!! As if someone has their hands around your throat choking you!!!

My chest got sore and my voice had changed from gasping for air so many times!! What an aweful feeling!!!

Last edited:
Corey, I'm so glad you finally went to the doctor. So what meds are you on right now?

Oh, by the way, one thing you do NOT want to do when you CHF, is smoke. Smoking is a killer as is, with CHF, don't count on lasting too long. My mom had CHF and she smoked.

I stopped smoking over twelve years ago, so I don't have to worry about that at all.

But the docs told me that alcohol is also dangerous for people with CHF as well. It could send the heart back into a relapse.

If you were on the blood thinners and seeing a doctor regularly then I do not understand why your atrial fibrillation wasn't being treated previously. It is the atrial fib that can cause the stroke--hence the coumadin.

Corey123 said:
I stopped smoking over twelve years ago, so I don't have to worry about that at all.

But the docs told me that alcohol is also dangerous for people with CHF as well. It could send the heart back into a relapse.

Even a glass of red wine a day? I thought that was supposed to be good for the heart?

Congestive heart failure is a different animal. It needs treatment and "curing". That is not a healthy heart condition for alcohol stress. but Corey should be out of CHF now I would think.

I have had irregular heart beats for over 20 years. I can feel my heart speed up and then back to normal. I had it checked several years ago but they didn't do anything. I guess I get this maybe a few times a year or more. Maybe should get it checked out again. O, but I hate drs.Yes I know hate is a strong word but if you had the drs we had here you would too. Just might have to go to a different town near by.Glad your on the right track now corey.

Gretchen said:
Congestive heart failure is a different animal. It needs treatment and "curing". That is not a healthy heart condition for alcohol stress. but Corey should be out of CHF now I would think.

I didn't think ONE glass was stress. But thanks for letting me know. I do have someone else in my family with CHF, but she doesn't drink at all, so everything is ok there. CHF aside, is one glass of red wine bad if you're on a blood thinner?

I thought so too!! Also, beer is supposed to be good for the heart as well, but I imagine that for anyone who has or had CHF, it's a no-no.

The coumadin is supposed to help keep the blood on the thin side to help prevent blood clots which would lead to a stroke if one were to travel up toward the brain.

And thank God that I have no blood clots and aim to keep it that way!! The coumadin keeps the blood thin and, in time, desolves any blood clots so that they don't pose any dangers.

If the docs found any blood clots during the ultrasound procedure, I'd have had to wait two weeks for the coumadin to disolve them before the shock treatment could be done.

Gretchen said:

I should know tomorrow when I go to my appointment for an EKG. The heart rate should still be normal or near normal.

Corey I'm so glad you're on the mend. A good friend of ours just had a TIA - actually lost vision and the ability to move one side of his body for a short while. Scared him silly. It took them 8 days to get him stable enough with the coumidin and other meds. Now he's working on diet and exercise. He'd known about the irregular heart beat for a long time - but just ignored it.

I'm going to say something here - Corey I really want you to sit down with your doctor and get some FACTS. I have always been under the assumption that CHF cannot be cured but can be helped through nutrition and sometimes drugs (downfall there are side effects). Once a heart has gone into CHF it's an issue that just has to be dealt with but cannot be done away with. Your quality of life does not have to be severely compromised - you just have to have some facts.

Certain ailments/illnesses/diseases can tolerate certain "foods/alcohol" while others cannot. You have a nice combination going on here where things cannot be looked at separately.

The mix-up with your meds was probably due to the anxiety you were under. Under anxiety we can't really remember a lot of information that is thrown at us. Take a pen and paper to your appointment and write things down.

Also, write down some questions now to take with you - leaving space after each one for some answers. Write down your daily eating/drinking habits and write down all your known ailments. Tell the doctor what you believe to be true about each one i.e., what you can eat/drink and it will be ok for A) diabetes B) high blood pressure, etc., etc. It might not be this doctor that can clarify everything - it may have to be another doctor - but you need to do this. It wouldn't hurt for a nutritionist to be involved either. Once you see things written down it's much easier to follow the "rules".

Gossie said:
I didn't think ONE glass was stress. But thanks for letting me know. I do have someone else in my family with CHF, but she doesn't drink at all, so everything is ok there. CHF aside, is one glass of red wine bad if you're on a blood thinner?

That isn't exactly what I said. A person in congestive heart failure is not in a healthy state and should follow what the doctor says. I have never heard the restriction concerning the possible re-precipitation of the CHF, but I am not a doctor.
And, again, not speaking as a doctor but as one married to one on coumadin with numerous heart problems under medical control, I can assure you that red wine is consumed. ;o)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom