make ahead meals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amber

Executive Chef
I am going out of town for several days, but my husband will be home, and doesnt cook. Any ideas on what to make? Thanks for the help.

Make meatloaf and marinara sauce. Show him how to nuke a potato and boil water for pasta. That should hold him if it's just a couple of days.

Don't know how many "several" days is ... but think about what meals you prepare where you would freeze the leftovers and heat them up later in the mircowave. Strole down the fozen food aisle in your grocery store and look at all the meals they have that are nuke-n-eat for more ideas.

Hubby can take one of the freezer at night, let it thaw in the 'fridge overnight, then just heat it up in the nuker the next day.

Stew or chili would hold up for several days. He can have some cold meals, like tuna salad on salad or chef's salad (have hard boiled eggs and cold cuts handy). How many days does he have to rough it?

Thanks! chili, meatloaf, frozen foods. He loves meatloaf, and chili with a baked potatoe, and I might just throw in some frozen meals and tell him to fend for himself for four days. :D Thanks you guys.

Make-Ahead Chicken Biscuit Casserole

3 cups chicken -- cooked and cubed
3 cups chicken broth
4 carrots -- sliced 1" thick
1 onion -- chopped
4 stalks celery -- sliced 1/2" thick
8 ounces mushrooms -- halved
2 garlic cloves -- sliced
1 can peas -- (8 oz.) canned
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/3 cup cold water
10 biscuits -- (tube or fresh)
1 freezer bag -- jumbo

Bring chicken broth to a boil; add carrots, onions, celery, mushrooms and garlic; simmer 10 minutes. Add cubed chicken meat and peas; simmer 5 minutes more. Mix cornstarch with cold water in measuring cup; add slowly until chicken mixture has consistency of gravy. Remove from heat; cool.

To freeze: pour into round casserole dish (2-qt capacity). Cover with aluminum foil; freeze, then wrap in jumbo freezer bag.

To prepare: thaw casserole before cooking. Place in 400-degree oven for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and place uncooked biscuits (either from "tube" or scratch) in slightly-overlapping circles on top of casserole.
Return to oven and bake 20 to 25 minutes more, until mixture is bubbling and biscuits are golden brown.

Good Luck!

Hey Amber -
Here's a copy of a recipe I put on the "Chicken" page -
It's pretty easy, and I freeze it all the time.

Here's my mom's very own Chicken Pie recipe - it is soooooo good, and makes a wonderful leftover too.

Chicken Pie
1 - 8oz block cream cheese
2 Tbsp butter
3 chopped green onions
4 Tbsp milk
Salt & pepper to taste
3-4 chicken breasts, boiled & diced
1/2 pkg. FROZEN "hash brown" cubed potatoes (so you need 1 pound)
1/2 pkg. FROZEN petite peas (if you don't like peas, don't use 'em!)
1 pkg. Pillsbury Refrigerated Pie Crusts

Preheat oven to 350. In a large glass bowl, melt cream cheese & butter together in microwave. Add salt, pepper, onions & milk. Stir till smooth.
Add chicken, frozen potatoes & frozen peas. Mix well.
Pour into crust & add top crust. Crimp edges & vent with knife.
Bake 35-45 min. till crust is golden.

You can also include froz. carrots, corn, or whatever suits you.

This can be served alone, or topped with any of the following favorites:
Apple Sauce (kids love this, as do I)
Sour Cream (mom & I love this one)
Tabasco! (hubby & son #1 think all food needs Tabasco)

ALSO - filling can be made in bulk and frozen in pie-sized portions in freezer bags. Just defrost & dump into a pie shell for a quick dinner.

Thanks Kath, that sounds yumbo! Never heard of using cream cheese in chicken pie before , that must be very creamy mmmmm.

jkath,

Your mom's Chicken Pie recipe sounds wonderful! I can't wait to try it (with mushrooms added). It sounds like a great church potluck dish too. Thanks!

:) Barbara

My husband can exist for days on a lasagna .... and, truth be told the big frozen ones in the grocery store do fine, and are often cheaper to buy than making from scratch. After he bakes the whole thing the first day, he can just cut squares and nuke them. One of those bags of salad or slaw greens with his favorite dressings on hand and you're off easy.

hmmm not a bad idea Claire. And a bag of salad too. I already have a loaf of garlic bread in the freezer to go with it. My husband is weird, he doesnt put dressing on salad! Yuck!! :LOL:

yeah.. I did that with chili a couple weeks back.. and I still have a couple plastic containers in the freezer.. makes an easy dinner or lunch. You can do that with lots of things.. wasabi woman had a great idea (she always does)... you could even take some boneless, skinless chicken breasts and make a marinade and freeze the breast with some marinade. All your husband would have to do is throw it in a frying pan and cook until the juices no longer run pink.. tell him to check by cutting the thickest part of the breast.

Back
Top Bottom