Sprial ham without glaze

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PytnPlace

Sous Chef
I bought a spiral ham from Costco this week. I never cooked a spiral ham B4 and would like to do it without the glaze. Any suggestions to keep the ham from drying out?

It's already cooked so all you have to do is heat it through. Follow the directions on the package. You could wrap it in foil to retain moisture. You don;t need to glaze.

As Andy says, follow the directions. They are usually on the back side of the label when you unwrap it. I just cooked one a month or so ago and it called for putting it "face" side down in a pan and heating at a pretty low temp. Glaze is totally optional but does give a nice flavor to the slices since it drips down into them. It isn't overpowering but you may have diet issues with it.

Another approach - place slices of bacon over the top of the ham for the first half of the cooking time - also this gives added flavour plus helps give the skin a nice crunch!!! The skin or cracklin is my favorite part of the ham!!!

Bacon, what a good idea. I hope I remember this

next time I cook a ham. Thanks

Lizannd said:
next time I cook a ham. Thanks
Your welcome - This also works great on Turkey and keeps the breast meat moist - see Bullseye's rec for his Turkey - Its the best!!!

That bacon idea does sound good. My DH doesn't enjoy the glazes - too sweet for his taste. Now, mind you, he has a HUGE sweet tooth, but not combined with savory.

Back
Top Bottom