Okra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I LOVE it, & grow it every year in the garden - heck, even in containers on the deck, since it's such an attractive plant.

I use it (of course!) in gumbos & jambalaya, & if I'm doing a quicky Zatarain's version, fresh okra really adds a spark. I also add it to soups, stirfries, & stewed tomatoes, & also enjoy it both fried & pickled.

Like it a lot. Dredged in cornmeal and fried, in soups, stewed tomatoes and okra. Good stuff.

Never tried it. The description of it as 'slimy' is a bit of a turn-off. One day I'll get round to it.

Can anyone give me a 'tastes a bit like....' description?

U.Bob
My DH loved stewed tomatoes, Green Giant canned corn and Okra..(frozen) stewed togather.
Sounds like you might also be from the South.

daisy said:
Never tried it. The description of it as 'slimy' is a bit of a turn-off. One day I'll get round to it.

Can anyone give me a 'tastes a bit like....' description?
The slimy-ness disappears depending on how you cook it. We saute ours in olive oil until they're a bit browned and crunchy. Yummm! Hard to describe the taste, really. I'd just say it's good enough to be worthwhile for you to buy some and try it!

I love it any way it can be eaten. Hubby can't stand when I eat boiled okra, I usually boil several small ones to eat while I'm frying the rest.

We eat okra a lot. It is a staple I guess in the Indian diet.

The best okra's are the baby okra's. They are not as gummy, and tough as their bigger counterparts. I like to rinse them in cold water, dry them out a bit in a colander and cut of their tops and tiny bit of the bottoms.

I then add a little bit of whole cumin in some canola or olive oil and a bunch of dry spices - chilli powder, freshly roasted and ground cumin, freshly roasted and ground corrainder and some turmeric and salt. I then add the okra, stir and let them cook until they are almost dry (yes the color changes to almost a deep brown but it dries them out and makes them crispy and yummy). I finish them with a sprinkle of lemon juice.

That with some dal (cooked beans) and rice on the side, a crispy papad (wafer made with beans) and I am in food heaven :)

Ooh - forgot about curries!! I also add okra to both Thai & Indian curries, or serve them Indian style, as noted above, as a vegetable in their own right.

it`s perfectly Disgusting!

too many seeds for a start (I can`t eat seeds) but that comes no where Near close to the slimey disgustingness that remains, it`s like eating KY jelly <shudder>.

if Okra was the last vegetable left on earth, I`de demand a recount!

LOL, well it might as well be hadn`t it, infact IMO it`s a few poppy seeds away from being Frog spawn :P

edit: a thought just occured to me whislt thinking along these lines, I wonder if an Extract of this could be made as a Gluten replacement? Xanthan gum goes almost exactly the same when hydrated and that IS used as Gluten replacement.
Might be worth a shot!

Last edited:
Yo Dove....

American by birth.....Southern by the Grace fo God!!!! :)

I have a good friend that I tell..."You were not born in the South but you got here a quick as you could" :LOL: Bless her heart!

Back
Top Bottom