Holiday Food Gifts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
Does anyone here have any clever ideas for holiday food gifts? Recipes or packaging ideas would be great. I need something nice but not too expensive for neighbors and friends. Last year, I gave Ghiradelli Cocoa and half-pints of Peppermint Schnapps.
The only thing I have planned so far are 8x8 pans of microwave fudge. I found some disposable aluminum pans with a holiday design and see-through plastic lids. Any ideas for something(s) to compliment that?

I made a whole bunch of things you could invididually wrap and then box for people.
I made Truffles, Peanut Butter Balls, and Macaroons. Check out my baking thread for recipes if you want them.

Constance, I put the dry ingredients for brownies in a nice jar and put a ribbon on it with the instructions on a card. I usually title it "Emergency Chocolate rations" or something like that. Don't know if thats a help to you or not.

What about a nice candy dish for them to serve it from? I'm sure you can find candy dishes for a price comparable to the schnapps, yes?

Vera, great idea! Maybe a small decorative spreader to cut the fudge with?

Some years I give homemade irish cream, some years candy, like peanut butter bon bons. This year will be peanut brittle or turtles.

a bottle of homemade Kahlua would be nice -

* Exported from MasterCook *
KAHLUA

1 1/2 cups brown sugar, packed
1 cup white sugar
2 cups water
1/2 cup Instant Yuban coffee (I've also used Medaglia D'Oro Instant Espresso with great results)
3 cups Vodka
1/2 Vanilla bean -- split lengthwise

In a large sauce pan, stir together the sugars and the water; bring to a boil & boil for 5 min.

Take off stove & stir in the instant coffee.

While the sugar mixture is boiling, pour the vodka in a large container & add the split vanilla bean.

Pour sugar mixture into the vodka & quickly cover with lid. Try to wait at least one week.

Yield:
"5 cups"

NOTES : Kahlua is best made a couple of weeks ahead of time -- but, people have been known to cool it off with ice cubes!!

and if the gift receiver has a sense of humor, you might add this drink idea for the Kahlua -

Smith & Wesson
Serving Size : 1

1/2 ounce Kahlúa
1/2 ounce Vodka
Cola
Cream

In a cocktail glass combine kahlua and vodka and serve. Top off with cola and cream.

NOTES : Best kind of glass for this drink: Cocktail.

-------

This was published in the Baltimore paper a couple years ago and it's wonderful!!

Glazed Chocolate Pumpkin Loaf

3 1/3 cups flour
3 cups granulated sugar
2 tsps. baking soda
1 tsp. each: cinnamon -- nutmeg
4 eggs -- lightly beaten
2 cups canned pure pumpkin
1 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup water
1/2 cup chopped nuts
4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate -- melted
Glaze:
1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar -- sifted
4 Tbsps. cold water -- (4 to 6)
1 ounce semi-sweet chocolate -- melted
2 tsps. hot water -- (2 to 4)

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a large bowl; set aside. Whisk together eggs, pumpkin, oil and water in a medium bowl. Stir into the flour mixture; mix just until blended. Fold in the nuts.

2. Transfer 2 cups of the batter to a small bowl, stir in the melted chocolate. Spoon half of the remaining plain batter into the two greased and floured 9-by-5-inch loaf pans; spoon half the chocolate batter over the top of each pan. Spoon remaining plain batter evenly over the chocolate batter in each pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and dry, about 1 hour, 10 minutes. Cool in pans on a wire rack 10 minutes; remove from pan to cool completely on wire rack.

3. For glaze, mix confectioners' sugar and cold water in a small bowl until the right drizzling consistency. Transfer half of the mixture to a separate bowl. Stir in chocolate and enough of the hot water to make the right consistency for drizzling. Drizzle white and chocolate glazes in a zigzag pattern on each loaf.

Thank you! You all are full of good ideas!

Actually, my husband has been talking about making some Kahlua lately. I'm going to show him your recipe, cjs...It's basically the same, but he doesn't use the good coffee, and uses bottled Vanilla instead of the bean.

We won't be giving booze to everyone, though. I like the idea of the candy dish, Vera. I'm also going to check out those jarred mixes. And Gobo, your peanut butter balls sound great!

Here's what I have ready so far:

3 baskets each with a bag of French Market Soup mix (an assortment of about 12 different dried beans and barley), a loaf of batter bread. Each bag of soup is wrapped in a new dishtowel that has a wooden spoon tied into the bow. The recipes will be tied with a ribbon and included.

1 bag with a bag of homemade hot chocolate mix, a Christmas mug and an assortment of homemade chocolate-covered spoons (some just chocolate, some with crushed peppermint sprinkled on and some with multi-colored cookie sprinkles on). Recipes included.

This morning I made about 6 dozen doggie biscuits (with a bone-shaped cutter). The doggie biscuits will go to one of our sons who has two dogs and to a friend who has a dog.

I just finished making about a pound of noodles, which will go to the friend with the dog. I haven't decided on what other things I'll put in his basket.

I'll bake a couple loaves of plain loaf bread and some English muffins to go with the baguettes I made this afternoon. Buck's mother has asked for an assortment of breads for Christmas, so she'll get some of each.

I still have my postmaster and two more friends to make goodies for, but I still have about a week because they're just down the street. The things I've already made either have to be shipped or delivered this week.

Katie, would you mind sharing your recipe for the hot chocolate mix? I found several online, but would like to see a TNT one.
The soup mix looks interesting also.
I'd love to make doggie bones, as I have several friends with beloved dogs. But, realistically, I doubt I can get that done. Perhaps another year, when I can get an earlier start. I've been in a blue funk, and am just now getting in the spirit. I ordered my poinsettias today, so that should get me going.

Here's one -

Snowman Soup

1 pkg hot chocolate mix
3 Hershey's kisses
15 mini marshmallows
1 candy cane

Place all of the above in a mug and attach the following poem:

Was told you've been real good this year.
Always glad to hear it.
With freezing weather drawing near,
You'll need to warm the spirit.
So here's a little Snowman Soup,
Complete with stirring stick.
Add hot water, sip it slow,
It's sure to do the trick!

I actually just buy local food products to give as gifts. This week's job is to get some together to send. I bought them to send and .... well, wound up putting them out on a party table! GONE! Start over! Yes, anything home made from the heart is best, but it is also good to find out what is good and locally made. For example, my late grandfather was a cheese maker, so my family loves it when I send a bag of cheese curds. My other late grandfather made maple syrup. I used to send Mom syrup from Vermont, but she said she likes the WIsconson syrup just as well, and likes the fact that is is a local product. So next week I will scour the local shops for stuff that is made a few miles from my door step. So even if you aren't making it yourself, find a local guy/gal, and buy from them!!!

Half Baked said:
Here's one -

Snowman Soup

1 pkg hot chocolate mix
3 Hershey's kisses
15 mini marshmallows
1 candy cane

Place all of the above in a mug and attach the following poem:

Was told you've been real good this year.
Always glad to hear it.
With freezing weather drawing near,
You'll need to warm the spirit.
So here's a little Snowman Soup,
Complete with stirring stick.
Add hot water, sip it slow,
It's sure to do the trick!

That's pretty creative.
Nice!
I'm going to give that to my girlfriend sometime.
Thanks

Constance said:
Katie, would you mind sharing your recipe for the hot chocolate mix? I found several online, but would like to see a TNT one.
No problem, Connie. I've been making this for years and I have a friend who says it's the best he's ever had. I hope you'll like it, too.

HOMEMADE HOT CHOCOLATE MIX
(Makes about 18 cups mix)

1 (25.6-oz.) box nonfat dry milk powder
1 (6-oz.) jar powdered non-dairy coffee creamer, like Coffeemate
2 cups powdered sugar
1 (16-oz.) can instant chocolate drink mix, like Quik
½ cup dark cocoa powder

Sift all ingredients into a large bowl. Mix well. After mixing, sift again, then put in a large airtight container. Store in a cool, dry place. Can be stored up to 6 months.

To make hot chocolate, add 3 tablespoons mix to 1 cup of hot water. Stir to dissolve. To make mocha, use 1 cup of hot coffee instead of water.

Last edited:
Wow, that sounds great too.
I don't even know where I can get those first two ingredients.
I don't think I've seen them.
Dry milk... that's the same as evaporated milk?

No gobo, dry milk is in bags, usually in the baking aisle near the sugar. Evaporated milk is in cans and is liquid.

Thanks, Katie! That looks like a good one.

Half-Baked, that's such a cute idea. My grandchildren would love that.

Gobo, powdered milk is a good item to keep in your pantry. You can use it for all kinds of baking...even gravies and sauces. And if you get snowed in, you can still make pancakes.

thanks for nice idea about holiday giftbaskets..recently i saw some more great ideas for gift baskets at foodgiftbasket, it's a unique gift's store for all kinds of gorgeous gifts.
cheers..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom