What to drink with East Indian curries?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Indian non-alcoholic drinks that come to mind is Lassi, served sweet and salty and Marsala tea. You might want to consider ice lemon tea or lime drink as well.

I used to make a ginger drink (grated ginger steeped in very hot water, sugar to taste, with some pineapple juice to add some citrus) I learned from an Ethopian guy. I think that'd make a great addition to your curries.

Ciao,

Here are a few things that come to mind and that I normally serve when I entertain my Indian family. We are strictly a non-alcoholic family so these work well for us.

Lassi - As Boufa stated. It is a traditional yogurt drink. There are two ways to make it. You can make it plain or mango. For plain lassi, mix 3 parts of plain yogurt with some water or milk and sugar. Add a tiny bit of ground cardamom to it and some ground saffron (if you want to add an exotic touch). Blend it together until it's nice and frothy. Allow it to chill and serve in tall glasses.

You can make a mango version by mixing mango puree or fresh mangoes with yogurt and sugar and blending it all togher until nice and frothy.

Another nice non-alcoholic drink is sherbets (very different from the water based ice cream sorbets or sherbets available in the US). If you have an Indian store nearby you can grab a bottle of Rose sherbet or Rooh Afza. It's rose colored. You mix it with some lemon juice and lots of cold water and just serve it as is. It's delicious with spicy Indian food.

The other thing that I love to make with Indian food is watermelon juice. All you do is get some seedless watermelons. Cut them up, add a tiny bit of sugar and water to them and blend them. Pour in glasses and serve. The sweetness of the watermelon goes well with the spicy curries.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom