Extracts in truffles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Happy Holidays all,

I just got some wonderful extracts from this website that has THE best vanilla extract I have ever tried, and well worth the meager investment of $5/bottle instead of the crap ones in the stores...but I digress...
I purchased lime, orange, raspberry, blackberry among others. I want to make truffles again this year, but I need some input as to the amount of extract vs chocolate. Meaning, my experience last year was white chocolate amaretto truffles that did not have quite the amaretto flavor I was looking for. So, this year I am using extracts, I think blackberry or raspberry white truffles and orange dark chocolate truffles would be wonderful, but need some advise please.

Thanks,

B.

yankeefaninseattle said:
Happy Holidays all,

I just got some wonderful extracts from this website that has THE best vanilla extract I have ever tried, and well worth the meager investment of $5/bottle instead of the crap ones in the stores...but I digress...
I purchased lime, orange, raspberry, blackberry among others. I want to make truffles again this year, but I need some input as to the amount of extract vs chocolate. Meaning, my experience last year was white chocolate amaretto truffles that did not have quite the amaretto flavor I was looking for. So, this year I am using extracts, I think blackberry or raspberry white truffles and orange dark chocolate truffles would be wonderful, but need some advise please.

Thanks,

B.

How big are these bottles?
I just made truffles the other day. I just used vanilla for the first time. I also coated it with coconut and powdered sugar.

If you were to do white chocolate truffles, then use raspberry.
If I were to use orange, I would use it with milk chocolate, but there's nothing wrong with dark chocolate. That's just my opinion.

I'm curious as to what lime would taste like in a truffle.

Good luck, I hope they turn out great.

Howdy,
Well I would suggest making the Ganache....then adding the extract...that way you can add extract...taste...adjust...taste...adjust...taste....and you can get the flavor you are looking for...

Just make the ganache and right when the cream is incorporated into the chocolate and it is one mass then add the extract...

Tell us how it goes,
Robert
Chocolate

Well, Canada, in response to your question, the berry & citrus flavors are 2oz, and the vanilla I get is 4oz. Check out cooksvanilla.com. Not going to try the lime, as I got that for my Jamaican banana bread, in the event I have no lime juice on hand.

And, Robert, I thank you for the instruction, as I only just made truffles for the first time last year, and your input is much appreciated. But, what would you suggest to start with? 1tsp, as the standard vanilla is measured for baking? Please advise if you can.

Thanks

B.

It's all on taste....put in one teaspoon and then taste the ganache...if it needs more then add more...it's all up to your tongue at that point...the is the best guide you can have! Tell us how they work out and let me know if you have any other questions I can help you with...

Robert
Chocolate

Well, people, my truffles turned out wonderful tasting, w/ a few faux pas to confess to.

The truffles that worked out well were the tropical truffles, whereby the orange extract did not taste very good, so I added lime extract, and the combo of both w/ the chocolate, and then the coconut/powd sugar mixed for rolling was awesome. These are soft, and cannot hold their shape outside of the fridge, but are wonderful.

The second batch was a total flub up. First, I thought, hey, I can put the kaluha in the chocolate, it is not water based, the chocolate won't sieze up. WRONG. So, I liquified it again w/ cream and butter, and then did my thing w/ the whipped cream, and the powd sugar. It set, but it set like a mousse, so all my truffle bites are truffle mousse bites, and need to be eaten or put in the freezer right away. I am bringing them into the office for immediate gratification for the coworkers. I tell you, I could've eaten the entire leaf pan of this mousse. I shook cocoa, cinnamon and cayenne pepper over the tops. If you don't inhale while eating the truffle, you will be in heaven, I tell you what. And I don't really consider myself a chocoholic, but I could eat these and die a happy woman.

Thanks for the help.

B.

I had similar problems with the ganache not holding its shape. I think it's because of the amount of liquid added in the form of the extracts. You add enough to get a good flavor and the ganache is too wet to hold its shape.

Someone put me onto LorAnn Oils, These oils are highly concentrated and you only need a couple of drops. I never tried them as my SO gave up on the process after several failures. I guess she couldn't stand the idea of eating all the failures. I offered to help...

Back
Top Bottom