Simple question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yolanda

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone. I am a mother who works outside of the home full-time. I enjoy cooking for my family and friends, especially trying new recipes. Mainly I cook savory dishes. During the holidays I make sweet things more often than usual...I guess that probably true for most folks:rolleyes: .

Each year I make a praline snack mix to share at the office. The recipe calls for light corn syrup. Yesterday, I realized my boyfriend picked up dark corn syrup instead. Can someone please tell me what the difference is? Will this work for my recipe? Someone in my office has said that it's less sweet, so I may need to adjust the brown sugar.

Please help.

Good question. I thought that the light stuff was just processed more. I don't think there would be a significant taste difference in your candy if you used it.

Oh, and welcome to DC!

I agree, don't think there will be a significant difference. But always believe in the taste test.

Try a bit and see if it is like the light variety you usually use, in taste and constituency. If it seems close enough, and acceptable, go for it.

That's all I can think of.

If the original recipe called for light CS and brown sugar, you can substitute dark CS and table sugar. Dark CS has a type of molasses added. Brown sugar has molasses in it. That's why the switch I described is a possibility.

Of course, you could use brown sugar and dark CS. Both the syrups react the same in a recipe except for the taste differences.

Last edited:
I think it will be fine, although all the answers are good alternatives. I use dark and light Karo interchangeably in my pecan pie.

CandoCook.....

Now you have done it!! You had to mention puh-con pie...I start to drool at just seeing the words typed. I prefer the dark karo...sometime with just a we bit of cane syrup added...but I guess thats another subject....

I`m glad this thread popped up, it`s just reminded me of something I wanted to ask.

if you don`t have Corn syrup, what can you use as a substitute? we have Lyons golden treacle here, honey, glucose, all the types of brown sugar etc...
just no Corn or Maple Syrup.

my friends recipe calls for Corn Syrup, and I`ve never tried it myself so couldn`t suggest much beyond golden treacle.

any ideas?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom