Disgusting Foods Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bangbang

Executive Chef
I have eatin this. Its not bad at all. Just add some celery salt and pepper it and its awsome :!:

Squirrel Brain
(US South) Yes, the brain of the small tree climbing rodent. You cook the head with the rest of the body (after cleaning of course), then, using your fingers and a fork, you crack the skull open and dig the brain out. It does not taste like chicken.

my family loves celery with salt and pepper, bang. we have had that as a snack for as long as i can recall.
tomatoes are good like that, too. :D
i'll have to think of some more.
good thread, ex-love!

Bangbang, I have heard of that before.

But, somehow, I could not get myself to do it.

God bless and take care.

Bang, ok it does not taste like chicken. So what DOES it taste like and would you eat it again? I give you a lot of credit man. I am willing to try a lot of things, but I think I would have a hard time trying this if I knew what it was first.

BUGS !! they have canned bugs like cocoraoch thats fried in thailand. Its pretty gross, but the thai ppl eat it neways like its nothing

my dad made me eat them once and i'm not kidding you i choked and upchucked at the table... sorry if anyone's eating right now :oops:

The other nasty green little buggers are peas!! I absolutely hate them. But I could think of nastier things to eat like tripe, brains, tongue, liver, etc. I am sorry but I do not think that I could eat any of those things. YUCK!!

My grandma used to cook up scrambled eggs and brains (pork or beef) and I always loved them. Had fried squirrel and gravy with scrambled eggs and biscuits, too .. YUMMY.

Most disgusting thing I ever heard of was monkey brains. Think this was a British thing in India or Asia ... they actually had a round table that was hinged so they could put a live monkey in the middle of the table ... they would lop off it's skull and then everyone scooped out fresh warm brains.

I try to keep an open mind about things. However, there are a few things I draw the line at:

Canned spinach - smell of that stuff makes me spew all over.
Most innards. I don't know why, but I just can't bring myself to eat them. Chicken gizzards being the exceptions.

You folks that like to eat squirrel brains, calf brains, and sheep/lamb brains, might want to do some searches on "prions" or "Crutchfeld-Jacob's Disease". A prion is the protein (not germ or virus) that causes Mad Cow disease. A prion cannot be destroyed by freezing, exposure to high heat, time, etc. This is not a live organism, just an organic protein that causes a change in other proteins in an animal's body the results in Mad Cow Disease/Crutchfeld-Jacob Disease. PBS's NOVA did a good show on this back in '97. You might want to log onto www.pbs.org/nova and run a search for "Mad Cow Disease"

oh my gawd..... canned spinach and peas are pure heaven compared to the other stuff mentioned...

I waited til after I was done eating to read this again.

Middie, take the dreaded Brussel sprouts, shred them finely with a mandoline, cook them with onions and a lot of butter and actually, they taste pretty good. I can enjoy them that way, kinda.

And this if from someone who would only eat one or two of the bloody round beasts, just to be polite, at Christmas, not wanting to offend anyone.

But, on second thought, there are a bunch of nutritious foods in the world that actually taste good, just as they are.

Stuff you need not beat to death to make palatable.

So why bother with Brussel sprouts?

Time to take my medication.

Bangbang said:
I have eatin this. Its not bad at all. Just add some celery salt and pepper it and its awsome :!:

Squirrel Brain
(US South) Yes, the brain of the small tree climbing rodent. You cook the head with the rest of the body (after cleaning of course), then, using your fingers and a fork, you crack the skull open and dig the brain out. It does not taste like chicken.
I have soo many in the yard, they eat everything we grow. pecans, plums,pears,persimonsl, etc...we are no longer kind. I have had creole people tell me that they love them, brains and all, but you must kill them after a real chill...under 30 here.. saying is that that kills the critters in the squirrls.......so, if you're going to do it, do it after a freeze.

Bacon Braised Brussels Sprouts

The slow cooking makes it almost impossible to tell that frozen, not fresh,
brussels sprouts were used.
1/4 lb sliced bacon, each slice cut crosswise into thin strips
1/2 cup chopped onions
1 lb frozen petite brussels sprouts
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 tsp granulated sugar
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Method :
Place a pan that is large enough to hold all of the brussels sprouts over medium-high to high heat. Add the bacon and cook until the bacon releases some fat, 3 to 4 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and add the onions. Cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are translucent and the bacon begins to brown.
Add the brussels sprouts, broth, sugar and salt and pepper to taste; increase the heat to high and bring the mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat to low or medium-low to maintain a slow simmer, and cook until the brussels sprouts are tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Uncover, return the heat to high and cook until the broth has almost completely evaporated. Serve warm.

Back
Top Bottom