New to DC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jenniferneedshelp

Assistant Cook
Hi. My name is Jennifer. I am not a very good baker but I am trying to make some christmas cookies for my 6 year old son! Help! I made a whole batch of TollHouse chocolate chip cookies but they look greasy and are thin and crispy. These are NOT what my mom's cookies looked like! I used butter and baked them on Silpat sheets. Can anyone tell me what went wrong? I added more flour but that did not seem to help. Any Ideas? Jennifer:wacko::wacko::wacko:

Hi, Welcome to DC.
Check out my baking thread.
Goboenomo's Baking Thread

There is a recipe for cookies there.
They don't look like the image there. In that image I used coloured sugar, that was also very coarse.

Stick with a tablespoon sized scoop of dough (I usually heap it), and you should be fine.

You will get a lot a of help, just hang on a little longer. Everyone is just now getting on after work.
What kind of texture are you looking for? cake, doughy, crispy??

I always make Tollhouse cookies based on the recipe on the (Nestle's) package unless I'm making some variant. If I want thinner, crispier cookies, I increase the butter. If I want fluffier, I reduce it. Just right for me is the recipe--crispy on the edges, chewy in the middle. I'm not an avid sweets baker, though, so others may give better advice.

BTW, welcome to DC!

Last edited:
Welcome Jennifer What Causes Soft Cooky Dough?
1. undermeasurement of flour or use of flour that has been stored when humidity was high.
2. Overmeasurement of shortening,butter. or margarine or use of extremely soft or melted shortening.
3. Overmeasurement of liquid or use of extremely large eggs.
4. Dough mixed in a very warm room.
Here is a Chocolate Chip Cookie
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup shortening
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1 package (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
heat oven to 375. Mix sugars, margarine,shortening,eggs and vanilla. Stir in remaining ingredients.
Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls about 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake until light brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Cool slightly before
removing from cookie sheet. About 3 1/2 dozen cookies.
Be sure to drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls. Questions? Happy Baking

Welcome to DC.

The butter caused the cookies to go flat and crispy. Butter melts at a lower temperature so the dough spreads out before the oven heat can set it.

To prevent this, thoroughly chill the dough and the cookie sheets and keep them chilled throughout the baking prodcess. You'll have nice high cookies.

I asked around at work today also. I think Andy is right. Everyone thinks it is the butter that maked my cookies thin and crispy.Thanks for the input Jennifer

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom