Seafood Dip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Uncle Bob

Chef Extraordinaire
1 Pkg Lipton Onion Soup Mix
16 oz sour cream
1/2 lb small or chopped cooked shrimp/crawfish
2 Hand fulls crab...lump/claw whatever
1 Tbl of horseradish
2 Tbl. Chili (NO BEANS)
Cayenne to taste..

Mix and chill for 2 or 3 hours...

Might wanna double this as it goes fast!

Uncle Bob said:
1 Pkg Lipton Onion Soup Mix
16 oz sour cream
1/2 lb small or chopped cooked shrimp/crawfish
2 Hand fulls crab...lump/claw whatever
1 Tbl of horseradish
2 Tbl. Chili (NO BEANS)
Cayenne to taste..

Mix and chill for 2 or 3 hours...

Might wanna double this as it goes fast!

Just a question. "Chili" is what? The meat mixture, or a hot pepper?

Cliveb - actually it's both. "Chili pepper" is the popular term for hot (rather than sweet capsicums (peppers), but it is also the popular name for the spicy mixture/entree (which can be vegetarian as well as meat).

In the case of the above recipe, I believe what is meant is 2 tablespoons of the "mixture", canned or homemade, but formulated without beans.

Last edited:
I would think if you cannot find canned chili....then option 1..add just a wee bit of cumin..and maybe chili powder (the blend of spices) Option 2: just leave it out...you will probably not miss it!

Enjoy!

Chile with an e = the pepper

Chili with an i = the stew

I have to be honest that I don't like the idea of putting cooked hamburger into this dip ... but maybe chili sauce or cocktail sauce or sriracha sauce might be good. Just MO.

Last edited:
FIGHT!! FIGHT!!! LOL! LOL!!!

Actually, jennyema, I just looked it up in my good old Webster's dictionary, & "Chili" with an i = the hot capsicum/pepper **or** the dish made with it, while "Chile" with an e - the South American country of Chile.

LIke I said - FIGHT! FIGHT! LOL!!!!!

This is the sort of question you could probably ask a slew of people & get a variety of answers. I know - let's sic Webster's on Google & the Chile Pepper Institute & see what happens - lol!!!

Please! Please! No fighting - it's too close to Xmas!!!:ohmy: :chef:

I think you'll find that "Chile/Chili/Chilli/Chilly/Chily" is spelt in all sorts of ways and, unfortunately, despite our attempts to be purist, it's too late.

The Spanish word, "Chile" (strictly speaking, a Mexican nahuatl word) does not change - in Spanish. But I've looked on Indian, Pakistani, Malay and English websites and it's spelt any which way you like.

The unfortunate result of a living language!:ohmy: :chef:

Personally, I would never mix seafood with lipton onion soup or Chili.

If you are wanting to make something easy to mix together:
1 Can cream of shrimp soup
1 8 oz pkg cream cheese
Splashes of Worchestershire sauce
Any or all the shrimp/seafood that you want

Serve with crackers or veggies.

Last edited:
Cliveb - I was just kidding. To be honest, regardless of whether I'm talking about the pepper or the dish (which I'm making tonight for dinner by the way), whatever letter ("i" or "e") my finger hits when I'm typing stays. I imagine the point gets across, regardless of the spelling. : )

As for onion soup mix, creamed soups, etc. We all find some that are unique. I was looking on the packaged ingredients list on a few envelopes on the spice isle. I had most of the ingredients at home. But I rely on the mixes and soups just like everyone else. As to say whether to cut an onion for a bit or not.
A while back, I got the bright idea "why not try cooking or serving a food like fish with the things it naturally eats". Booboo, disaster, and not recommended!!!!! It will turn out disgusting.
Chili in the dip would be something worth the adventure and probably very good. Will be trying this very soon.

Back
Top Bottom