Who Owns a Rice Cooker?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Corey123

Washing Up
I was thinking about getting one of these.

But I need to know how they work and which size to get. Don't want one that's too big. Maybe a small one, 3 to 5 cups.:ermm:

I'm leaning more toward a Zojirushi unit though.

Last edited:
I own a rice cooker, and if you live nearby let me know- I will give it to you.
It burns the rice, it makes the rice too sticky. It is a hard thing to clean, and it was probably worth the cheap price I paid for it.

My advice is to get an expensive one if you get any at all. It will probably work.
We don't make rice often enough to justify it.

I reside on the East Coast - Massachusetts, as the info under my avator says.

But if it burns the rice, then why would you want to give it to ME? What brand is it? I think the Zojiroushi is a good brand. Some of them are a bit expensive.

Last edited:
I actually have two.. Although, I cannot remember the name brand. I wouldn't go without personally. I think they make a better tasting rice, that is always done exactly the way I like it. And that's not burned.. I usually cook either Jasmine, Bas Mahti, or Wild Rice in the rice cooker. They function exactly the same as the ones I used while I was a chef at a Korean Restaurant.

I highly recommend them, and have purchased 2 more as a Christmas Gifts. You can start out with a $19.99 model from LNT or Wal-Mart and it'll suit you just fine until you find out just how much you use it..

I have both a 3 cup and a 16 cup.. I am giving my 3 cup away.. Or putting it in the camper.. :)

-Brad

I own a medium and a large one. The medium one is packed away for now. The large one takes up to 10 cups of rice (the plastic measuring cup that comes with it) and I use it mainly when I have to preparel rice for a large number of guests. If you are thinking of buying one, I would recommend the non-stick type. Zoshirushi is a good brand and you should go for it. The reason why the rice burns in Hopz's cooker is perhaps because the pot is made out of aluminium. Usually the rice cooker will come with accessories like plastic spoon and plastic measuring cup. It has 2 buttons, cook and warm. To boil rice just press the 'cook' button. Once the rice is cooked, it will automatically turn to 'warm' mode.

Hopz said:
I own a rice cooker, and if you live nearby let me know- I will give it to you.
It burns the rice, it makes the rice too sticky. It is a hard thing to clean, and it was probably worth the cheap price I paid for it.

My advice is to get an expensive one if you get any at all. It will probably work.
We don't make rice often enough to justify it.
On getting burnt rice, perhaps you should take the pot out from the cooker the moment the rice is cooked and serve immediately rather than let it sit in it. That was how I did it when I was using non-stick rice cooker a long time ago. As to the rice being too sticky, is it possible that you put too much water? From what I know, for one cup of rice using the measuring cup provided, you add water up to the mark indicated in the pot. If you are using 'new' rice which makes the rice softer or a different type of short grain rice, you will need to reduce the water slightly. Recently DH bought some store brand short grain rice for me to try. The first few packets turned out very well, however the subsequent ones gave me very wet and soggy rice. I was rather puzzled about it and started reducing the water by 1/4 cup (the rice is cooked over the stove so the measurement is 1 cup rice to 1-1/2 cup water). That did the trick!

I have a 10-cup Panasonic fuzzy logic rice cooker. That's the brand that WS sells, but I bought it elsewhere online. It is just about the only kitchen appliance I use at least once a week -- other than something like a toaster or coffee pot, of course.

It's extremely simple (and easy to clean), and I have never been disappointed in the results, regardless whether I'm cooking long-grain, basmati, jasmine, brown, or short-grain rices. II love the Keep Warm feature, although I usually don't let it sit for more than an hour or so. The cooker is also great for other grains, as well as legumes, and it's perfect for steaming.

The pamphlet that came with my rice cooker was not very helpful, at least for an English-speaking person. So I highly recommend a wonderful cookbook entitled "The Ultimate Rice Cooker Cookbook" by [SIZE=-1] Beth Hensperger & Julie Kaufmann. It is a big book, one that I find very useful. You can probably find a used copy on Amazon or eBay. There's a recipe in the book for an Asian-inspired one-pot dish with rice, veggies, and boneless chicken that takes less than ten minutes to put together and is quite good.

And no, I don't own stock in the company. :)
[/SIZE]

We have a 5-cup Salton rice cooker and like it a lot. Since it's usually just the two of us, the size is about right. Never had a problem with it and it also has a steamer insert. I really love using that to cook potatoes for potato salad, etc., steaming green beans and other veggies. It's nice for this purpose because I don't have to babysit a pot and there's very little to clean up. It can also be used to make oatmeal for breakfast and keep it warm.

I have a Kenwood rice cooker/steamer, it`ll take 7 cups or as little as one.
my rice turns out just great when using it, but as there`s only 2 of us that eat rice, it only gets used when I`m cooking for more people. it`s a non stick type also, it`s just that I lack the counter-top area to use it as regularly now.

Corey, here is the basic principle of how a rice cooker works. As for which brand works better than another, and which is more versitle than another ... well, you might want to read the box to see what it says as to it's operation (does it go to a keep warm mode or turn off when done?) for example. Some actually have setting for using differents kinds of rice, etc.

As for size ... again read the box. Most that I researched used the volume of dry rice ... so a 3-cup rice cooker would use 3-cups of dry rice and produce about 6-cups cooked long-grain white rice. A couple were based on the amount of cooked rice.

I would go for one with a non-stick lining.

Hope this helps ....

Looking at the links Michael provided, I see an enormous spread in prices! They range from $20 - $200.!!

If you are buying a rice cooker to cook and keep rice warm and the $20 model does the job, why would I spend ten times the price to do the same job?

Corey123 said:
Some of the Zoshiroushi models have the inner containers with nonstick coatings.

We have the Zojiruschi NhS 10 6 cup cooker which is a nice size for 2 to 4 people.

The el-cheapo White-Westinghouse we had before only lasted about 3 years.

I have a $20 Black & Decker Walmart jobber with a non-stick bowl.

Nice n' simple operation with a single on/off switch. You really need to run a couple batches to really discover which rice/water ratios work best. Other factors introduce other variables as well, such as how long you let the rice soak ("bloom") in the water before switching it on, and how long you allow it to rest afterwords. For simple long-grain rice, I first wash it 5-6 times until clean. Then I use the ratio of 1-C to 1-C, plus 1/4-C water. Next, I allow it 20min or so to bloom. Then I run the cook cycle of the cooker, remove the bowl, and allow it to sit covered for 15min.

I use it at least once a week, sometimes more.

I've just made my choice!!

I ordered the Zojiroushi model NSKCC05 Rice Cooker from Cooking.com. Should arrive by December 28.

I figured that this was the perfect size for me, since it's just me. It cost $129.95.

I saved $9.95 on the shipping charge by entering a special code number. So if you order one from that website, remember to do that.

Last edited:
I have an excellent rice cooker...cost me more that I wanna think about....
However I don't think she would appreciate me saying "I own a rice cooker":LOL:

boufa06 said:
On getting burnt rice, perhaps you should take the pot out from the cooker the moment the rice is cooked and serve immediately rather than let it sit in it. That was how I did it when I was using non-stick rice cooker a long time ago. As to the rice being too sticky, is it possible that you put too much water? From what I know, for one cup of rice using the measuring cup provided, you add water up to the mark indicated in the pot. If you are using 'new' rice which makes the rice softer or a different type of short grain rice, you will need to reduce the water slightly. Recently DH bought some store brand short grain rice for me to try. The first few packets turned out very well, however the subsequent ones gave me very wet and soggy rice. I was rather puzzled about it and started reducing the water by 1/4 cup (the rice is cooked over the stove so the measurement is 1 cup rice to 1-1/2 cup water). That did the trick!

Yes, you're right!!

Short grain rice requires slightly less water than called for on the box. Aslo Basalmic and Jasmine rice as well.

These grains of rice tend to get a bit too soft, soggy, gummy and sticky. Also, it's a good idea to wash the rice first before cooking to get off the excess starch, which diabetics like myself can do without, and helps make the rice more fluffy, firm and separate.:chef:

Corey123 said:
Yes, you're right!!

Short grain rice requires slightly less water than called for on the box. Aslo Basalmic and Jasmine rice as well.

These grains of rice tend to get a bit too soft, soggy, gummy and sticky. Also, it's a good idea to wash the rice first before cooking to get off the excess starch, which diabetics like myself can do without, and helps make the rice more fluffy, firm and separate.:chef:
I always wash my rice first before boiling despite what my Greek mil says. Back home I used Thai fragrant rice which is by far the best and now that I am here, I have to contend with the differences in rice quality even though they are of the same type.

BTW Corey, I think the price for the rice cooker is exorbitant. In the Far East, it would cost much less.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom