Slow cooker / CrockPot ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ncage1974

Senior Cook
Hi everyone. I currently have the following slow cooker:
Amazon.com: Rival 38601-W white 6 qt smart-pot slow cooker: Kitchen & Housewares
I bought this about two years ago. I was really excited about getting it because of the “programmability” feature. When I went to used it I found out I really hated this cooker. OK the programmability feature is actually horrible. The cooker can either cook 8 or 10 hours on low or 4 or 6 hours on high. The cooker will then switch to warm which is great and all but this dang cooker will not let you manually switch to warm. So if you want to warm something up that you cooked from the night before. Forget it. Poor implementation if you ask me. Then there is the temperature problem. This thing will boil (yes even when you properly fill the cooker over ¾ full) even at a low setting. This is just absurd. A slow cooker should never boil at any temperature setting especially low. Today I was cooking French dip sandwiches for Christmas eve and it was boiling pretty good at low settings eventhough the pot was over ¾ the way full. I decided it was time to trash this cooker. I was just curious so I put in a temperature prob in this unit to see how hot it got at low today. It got to 215 on low!! Way to hot for low. So I set out to go to walmart to get a new one “merry Christmas to me :)

What was I looking for. I wanted a descent size cooker. First and foremost I wanted a cooker that didn’t get to hot. I also wanted something that I could take the crock out of the refrigerator and warm it back up on a warm settings. I steered clear of rival brand because of the “boil at low” frustration with my last cooker. I looked at three units at Walmart: Hamilton Beach, GE, & West Bend. I ended up going with the following unit:
Hamilton Beach Stay or Go 6-Qt Slow Cooker, Stainless Steel - Wal-Mart

It was impossible for me to know how the temperature was of each unit of course. I am just hoping all of them really “Slow cook”. Hamilton lured me with a few of the features: a lid that you could clamp shut for traveling and the handles. Very nice for pot lucks. Also a nice little spoon holder on the top of the lid which is a nice touch.
Does anyone have the slow cooker I bought today? How do you like it? How is the temperature? Did I make the right choice. I sure hope I did.

Thanks,
ncage

Katie E said:
Hi, ncage1974, before you go out an purchase another crock-pot/slow cooker, you might want to check out this thread. It's packed with information and addresses the boiling problem you've experienced.

Check it out: http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f84/new-rival-crock-pot-always-boils-28996.html

Thanks Katie. I seen that thread after i posted. Well the HB i bought at Walmart i wasn't going to use today because of the hastle to transfer the meat from the rival to the HB but i was thinking....well but you are missing out on the perfect opportunity to test the difference. So i decided to do the transfer and i put my temperature probe back in the HB after the transfer. I will let everyone know how it goes.

Here is my first impressions of the cooker before even turning it on. The glass lid is a little lighter than i would like. Its not really light but not as heavy as the one was on my rival. The unit has a rubber gasket on the underside of the lid which i don't know is a good thing or a bad thing. On the plus side it probably provides a better seal on the negative side it has the potential to wear out. The clamps on the lid will definitly come in use. The spoon on the lid is also a VERY nice feature. I will use it tonight when i take the french dips over my sister in laws. People can server there own aus jus for their sandwiches. The controls are very simple and YES i know how a warm setting i can switch to. The unit is very attractive look with the stainless and looks very nice in my kitchen. I just turned it on so we will see how the temperature goes.

Ncage

its awesome

Well people i really like the HB. Low temperature measured at 165....this is about what low should be. It did not boil :). I carried it to my brothers and it was very convient. I would pick this crock again if i had to do it over. Merry Christmas everyone.

ncage

I recently purchased a 5 qt. Rival SCRC500 w programmable slow cooker and it doesn't seem to have the cooking too hot problem.

Used a 20% coupon at Bed, Baty & Beyond and got it for $24

Bed Bath & Beyond Product

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom