DH update.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasgirl

Master Chef
This has so far been the worst Christmas of my life, I swear!!
It has been almost 5 weeks now, that he hasn't been able to eat solids. He is living on Ensure, tomato soup, pureed potato soup and pudding, when he can get it down. He has dropped 20 lbs and is wearing jean sizes he hasn't worn in probably 8 years or more. Anything with any kind of texture won't go down. I have pureed so much stuff that I think my Oster is finally going to give and he STILL can't eat most of it. It's so depressing:(
He has so far been to a Dr. 3 times, a Gastroenterologist, 3 times, had a barium swallow, chest xrays, ct scan with and without contrast, endoscopy and had balloon dialation while in there that didn't work worth a flip, manometry to measure the pressure of his throat muscles. The Gastro said that he has a double whammie, not only is his throat muscle not working as they should, but, the sphincter at the end that opens to let food pass into the stomach isn't relaxing, that is why he is choking and only liquids can pass. Now, we're just waiting some more to find out when we get the Heller's Myotomy. He still won't be able to eat like he used to,but, he will be able to eat again!!
Well that's what is going on now. Thanks for the pm's, asking about him.

Achalasia

I am so sorry to hear all of this TG! I sure hope that they get this figured out and soon. I will be thinking of you guys! Hang in there.

Thank you GB!! I just hope that something is done quick and maybe there is some light at the end of this dark tunnel. They just called and we have appointment at 3. Keep your fingers crossed because the nurse was reading the finding and of course, we can't take her understanding of it to heart, but, it says the the lower sphincter relaxed as normal and it looks like it's the throat muscles. It said that one is working 60% and another is only 40%. I just hope this means no surgery will be required and there is something else that can be done.

Michelemarie said:
TG- I will continue to pray for you and DH. Thanks for the update. What is Heller's Myotomy?

It is a laproscopic surgery where they go in and cut the sphincter so that it stays open all the time. The thing is, when it stays open there is the risk of severe acid reflux all the time. It's VERY expensive and it takes a month or so to heal enough to be able to eat solids again. I don't want that. I want it to be a more simple procedure. They have botox injections for this, but, they use them on older people because the surgery is too much stress on them. I guess we'll find out today what happens next.

I'll be thinking of you two today...Prayers are already on the way. I know how hard this is and I'm hoping that soon it will all be turn around and DH will be on the mend and you can relax a little...I know your at your puter DUH and I'm looking at ya..Here's a HUG to share...{{{{{{{hug}}}}}}

kadesma

Gosh, I hope he feels better soon. I wish him a speedy and full recovery. I will say a chapter of Psalms on his behave today.

TG, I'm so sorry things haven't gotten any better. I can't imagine how frustrating it is for both of you. Hang in there. Prayers are coming from me, too. {hugs}

Hugs TG! Lots of hugs and lots of prayers. I'll be thinking of you both today at 3.

Well, no surgery. The LES (lower esophageal sphincter) works 100%
They put him on medication. I hope it works!! I wish they had done this first, but, at least we know that he doesn't have cancer or some other fatal disease, so, that makes the money okay.

Great news! Amazing how long it took the docs to come up with a medication that works for him. So glad to hear that surgery wasnt necessary. I sure hope he can get some solid foods down soon.

I can only imagine the stress you are all under right now. I'm glad they've finally been able to come up with a solution to his problem. I'll pray that this is an end to his problem and that he can get back to a normal way of life. Huge hugs!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom