Creamed Mushrooms - recipe idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kadesma

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
These are a favorite and can be used either as a side dish with steak or roast and if put atop thin slices of toasted baguette, make a nice appetizer.
I use a package of plain white mushroom, butter,about a fourth of a cup of chopped shallots, salt and pepper and 1/2 a cup of heavy cream, and sometimes a shot of sherry.
I just remove the stems from the mushroom, and thick slice them, saute them in butter til they get a nice brown around the edges and then add the shallots, cook til they get soft, add the cream, bring to simmer, cook til it thickens then if so inclined add a little sherry..Serve as side dish or over toasted baguetts for an appetizer.
enjoy,
kadesma:)

Looks tasty, kadesma. I do something similar but use a sweet marsala instead of sherry. Like you said, good over toasted baguettes. I like to spread some goat cheese on the baguette and top it with the mushrooms. yum. I'll have to try this out with the sherry. Thanks kads!

corazon90 said:
Looks tasty, kadesma. I do something similar but use a sweet marsala instead of sherry. Like you said, good over toasted baguettes. I like to spread some goat cheese on the baguette and top it with the mushrooms. yum. I'll have to try this out with the sherry. Thanks kads!
You're welcome Cora. I like the idea of the goat cheese. I'll have to give that a try thank you :)
kadesma

A great little steak restaurant (unfortunately long gone) on Long Island, NY, used to offer a side dish like this with their steaks. The small button mushrooms were always left whole & there was absolute no cream - sour or otherwise. Just good fresh small button mushrooms braised in sherry/wine sauce with a few sauteed shallots. Absolutely delicious.

BreezyCooking said:
A great little steak restaurant (unfortunately long gone) on Long Island, NY, used to offer a side dish like this with their steaks. The small button mushrooms were always left whole & there was absolute no cream - sour or otherwise. Just good fresh small button mushrooms braised in sherry/wine sauce with a few sauteed shallots. Absolutely delicious.
Breezy,
they sound delicious this way. That's whats so nice about posting recipes here. Everyone gathers around and offers ideas or on how they make theirs and we end up not only with our idea but with many more that are new for us to try.

YUM! I think I've made these before and added horseradish and served with toast points as an appetizer (too many years ago to fully remember :blush:)

kitchenelf said:
YUM! I think I've made these before and added horseradish and served with toast points as an appetizer (too many years ago to fully remember :blush:)
Fully remember? For me that was long ago and far away:LOL:
I love horseradish, will have to try adding some to this next time I make it. Thanks Elf.
kadesma

ironchef said:
A hit of fresh thyme at the end would also be nice in this dish.
I have fresh thyme growing and will give it a try next time we make these. Thanks IC, you always give good ideas.

Wow CJ, we do something almost identical, too... they are soooo delicious, aren't they!! I also like a variation with sour cream instead of regular cream, with a shot of vodka, adding a touch of Russia:)
They are also delicious over farfalle(bow tie) type of pasta!;)

edited to add... oops, Charlie D already mentioned about the sour cream idea!! well, here's another vote from me... it is really worth a try!

urmaniac13 said:
Wow CJ, we do something almost identical, too... they are soooo delicious, aren't they!! I also like a variation with sour cream instead of regular cream, with a shot of vodka, adding a touch of Russia:)
They are also delicious over farfalle(bow tie) type of pasta!;)

edited to add... oops, Charlie D already mentioned about the sour cream idea!! well, here's another vote from me... it is really worth a try!
Licia,
I love mushroom and I would say we have them at least once a week..I'd never even thougt of the sour cream and vodka and then to put it over a pasta..I have to make this and soon. I have the farfalle,and vodka, and being I have to go out today to order Livi's birthday cake I'll stop at the store and get some mushrooms..Dinner tonight is going to be yummy.
cj:)

This is one of my favorite mushroom recipes that I've adapted & tweaked over the years from The Vegetarian Epicure, Book Two. It's good & substantial enough to satisfy meat-eaters as well, thus makes a terrific dish for mixed company of both vegetarians & non-vegetarians. Good crusty bread & a big mixed green salad are all you need to make this a wonderful meal. Maybe I should cross-post this over on the Vegetarian forum as well - lol!)

Mushroom Stroganoff (adapted from The Vegetarian Epicure, Book Two)

1/4# fresh Shitake mushrooms
1/4# fresh Oyster mushrooms
1/4# fresh Cremini mushrooms
1/2# fresh White Button mushrooms
1/2 medium onion, chopped
4 tablespoons butter
Pinch of dried thyme
Salt to taste
Fresh-ground black pepper
1=1/4 cup chicken broth
8-ounce container sour cream
2 tablespoons brandy
1/4-cup dry sherry
1# or so of wide egg noodles
2-3 teaspoons poppy seeds
Butter to toss with egg noodles

Cook noodles according to package directions, drain, & toss with a few tablespoons of butter & the poppyseeds. Cover & set aside.

Wash the mushrooms thoroughly under running water, trim, (removing any tough stems), & slice thickly. In a large skillet, saute onion in the 4 tablespoons butter until transparent, then add mushrooms & continue cooking until they have released their excess moisture & it's starting to evaporate. Add thyme, chicken broth, & 3 tablespoons of the sour cream, lower heat, & simmer gently for 15 minutes, stirring often. Add brandy, sherry, salt & pepper to taste, & the rest of the sour cream, stirring gently just until sour cream is heated thru. Do not overheat or sauce will curdle, but this is just an appearance issue & won't affect the taste. Taste & correct seasoning if necessary.

Serve over noodles. Although the sour cream "might" curdle a little, leftovers are just as tasty nuked in the microwave for lunch the next day.

Edited to add that for true vegetarians - sub vegetable broth, water, or a mix of water & wine for the chicken broth.

Last edited:
Breezy,
this looks wonderful. While I enjoy meats and poultry and fish, there are times when I prefer something like this. It's on my to make soon list and thanks for sharing.

Oh - I should add that you can definitely sub whatever mushrooms look best at your market. If all they have are Portabellos & white buttons, then heck, buy them & chop up the big Portabellos.

When I have a taste for this dish, I just buy whatever looks good at the market - even if it's just fresh white button mushrooms. Just adjust the quantities accordingly.

Trust me - it will still taste GREAT, regardless of which mushrooms you use. Just try to keep the quantity the same - even if it's just one type of mushroom.

Kadesma, I adore mushrooms. Some of the classics (those oldies, but goodies) came to mind like Duxelles and paprikash and any wine/shallot sauce is heaven. The heavy cream - "you're killing me Larry", I like it!. There goes one New Year's resolution. Pass me a big thick juicy steak to go with. Thank you. ;)

You reminded me of a to-die-for mushroom croissant I made years ago from a recipe I tweeked from the Times? Problem is I kept adding in ingredients as I went along and didn't write it down. I still have the basic recipe stored away, yellowing w age. I'll have to go dig it out.

mish said:
Kadesma, I adore mushrooms. Some of the classics (those oldies, but goodies) came to mind like Duxelles and paprikash and any wine/shallot sauce is heaven. The heavy cream - "you're killing me Larry", I like it!. There goes one New Year's resolution. Pass me a big thick juicy steak to go with. Thank you. ;)

You reminded me of a to-die-for mushroom croissant I made years ago from a recipe I tweeked from the Times? Problem is I kept adding in ingredients as I went along and didn't write it down. I still have the basic recipe stored away, yellowing w age. I'll have to go dig it out.
Dig it out Mish, mushrooms are my "thing";)
kadesma

And to finish it off, after mushrooms are done put them in oven proof container, the smaller the better, like individual portions size, add some cheese on the top and bake untill cheese melts and then turn on the broiler for a minute or two to brown the cheese just a little bit, that's even tastier.

CharlieD said:
And to finish it off, after mushrooms are done put them in oven proof container, the smaller the better, like individual portions size, add some cheese on the top and bake untill cheese melts and then turn on the broiler for a minute or two to brown the cheese just a little bit, that's even tastier.

Add breadcrumbs or panko to that and you have mushroom gratinee.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom