I'm NEW and need help! I HATE my glass stove top!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boomhauer1782

Assistant Cook
Good morning :chef:

I need suggestions and/or solutions from anyone out there!! I recently bought the Rachel Ray non-stick cookware set with the porcelain-enamel coating. It's beautiful and I can't wait to start using it! However, I was reading the warranty and care manual, where it specifally says "we do not recommend the use of porcelain enameled cookware on ceramic/glass stovetop." :wacko: So I love my new cookware and I hate my stove top. Unfortunately I am renting this apartment and unable to replace the stove.

So I was wondering if anyone knew of a type of stove top extension, if that even exists. Basically something like a raised gridle to place over the entire stove top. I don't want to exchange my cookware for something to compliment my stove, when I don't even like it!

Suggestions please!
Boomhauer

Welcome to DC! Glad you found the site.

Unfortunately I can't help with your stove top question.

Hi, welcome to DC.

I'd return the cookware and get something you can use in your current situation.

oh Boom, what an awful predicament! There's gotta be something out there to help....
Since you're renting, is there any chance the owners would let you put your stove into their storage or the garage, if you were to purchase your own piece (and take it when you leave?)

BTW, welcome to the DC family.

Welcome to DC.

As a renter, you don't have many options re replacing the stove. I would return/exchange the cookware for something that will work with what you already have.

I too would return the cookware, depending how long you plan to stay
there. I had a glass top stove and really did not like it, not to even
put more of a damper. I had a very difficult time getting the top cleaned,
even when I used the suggested cleaning cream.:(

Sorry - but I'm also a member of the "I Hate Glass Stovetops" club.

When we were looking at new electric ranges back in '97, the store had the manuals for every range model, & every single glass-top model said not to use cast-iron cookware or woks. Needless to say, that canned it for me. I was also leery of my cats not realizing it was range (because of the smooth top) & possibly jumping up & getting burned.

As far as your particular situation, I guess it's going to depend on 1) how much you like the cookware, & 2) how long you think you'll be renting in your current spot.

I use my Le Creuset dutch oven on my glass stove top a lot. You just have to be careful not to drag it across the top or (heaven forbid) drop it on it.

Dont return it. USe it. Unless they gave an actual reason why you shouldn't use it. Did they ?

Like Llou, I've used LeCreuset and heavy cast iron skillets on a ceramic top stove for 10 year and they work great.

They are heavy and you need to make sure to handle them carefully so you don't damage the cooktop, but to my knowledge there is no other reason to even think twice about.

RR's cookware is a lot lighter so should present even less risk.

Stove mfrs sometime say not to use cast iron, etc. but that's generally because they have to pay under warranty if the cootop is broken or damaged.

I have never heard of any performance/safety reason why this cookware can't be used. And certainly not seen any in my oen personal experience.

Edited to add that I used to HATE any electric stove but moved into a house w/out a gas line and a (then) new ceramic top stove. I LOVE IT! It's easily the best performing stove I've ever used, save professional stoves in cooking school or my friends' Vikings. Give it a chance and maybe you'll change your mind.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, in this case the original poster is a RENTER. It's not her own stove, & if something happens that she was warned ahead of time might happen, she could easily end up with having to buy her landlord a brand-new glass-top range.

Yep. That's true. But that's the case with any kind of cookware that she uses and drops on the stove. She asked specifically about RR Cookware's warning.

There is nothing inherent in RR's cookware, that I know of, such that it cannot be used on the stove.

Anything dropped on a ceramic cooktop -- a pot, a can of soup, a heavy knife, a full beer -- could break it and she would have to pay. She won't be any safer with a different type of cookware.

I've used glass top stoves with all kinds of cookware. If the cookware can't take the glasstop it wasn't made very well. If the glasstop can't take the cookware, It's because you scraped it across the top, a no no with any pan on a glasstop.

personally, I've gotten tired of TV chefs inventing poor cookware when fine cookware exists out there. Yes it costs big money, it's made well and will last.

Anyway, the only cooktop with real reservations is induction which only works with magnetic metals.

I'll stick with my old fashioned electric coil type stove!!!!!!!! Like Breezy says, cats don't always know if it is a flat top. I would check like someone else said and see if the landlords would let you put in your own stove (if you can afford it and don't want to give up the cookware). Otherwise, just be real careful.

The only "caution" RR's cookware may be referring to is a potential reaction the enamel on the cookware may have to contact with the heat from the glass surface. The first thing that came to my mind was bubbling enamel on the outside of the cookware.

I'm not a fan of glass cook surfaces, but that is what I immediately thought of since the cookware is enamel-coated. Of course, it's probably applied to the cookware in a fashion that shouldn't make a difference since there is other enamel-type cookware available. Has been for years without trouble, to my knowledge.

I think I'd try to contact the RR cookware people and see if they can give you a more definitive answer to your dilemma.

KatieE - that's a good idea. I'd hate to be the renter who had to get into an in-depth argument with my landlord about why it wasn't "my" fault that I broke the range top. The aggravation factor & $$ alone wouldn't be worth it to me.

I'd be really really worried about cookware's enamel that is going to bubble on any kind of stove. If it's going to bubble on a ceramic stove what's going to happen to it on a gas stove over direct flame?

In my experience, there isn't much of an argument about whose fault it is if the cooktop is damaged no matter how. It's in the tenant's apartment and is their "fault" unless some act of God is involved or if it was damaged by intruders. If they drop a Farberware skillet on it and break it, then they are responsible. If a friend drops a bottle of wine on it, they are responsible. If RR's cookware melts all over it, they are responsible.

If it does melt or disfigure on any kind of stove, it shouldn't be sold, IMO.

Boom, Jenny's got some great ideas!

I'd too call the RR toll-free to see if there's any other info regarding the glasstop. Also, the fact your landlord didn't say you could not use this type of cookware leads me to believe that he/she did not say it to any tenant before you. Who's to say that the previous tenant didn't use enamel pans?

Back
Top Bottom