Need Ideas for U.K. Snacks for Teens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mudbug

Chef Extraordinaire
My daughter is traveling to England, Ireland, and Wales this summer in a group tour (lucky little brat).

We are attending monthly meetings with her delegation until they leave.

At last night's meeting, I signed up to provide refreshments for the next meeting in February.

Rather than throw the standard brownies, etc. at 'em, I thought it would be good to introduce them to some of the types of snacks they may encounter on their trip.

I'm willing to either cook/bake or buy. Need to feed about 40 kids.

Ideas, please.

Scones with clotted cream (Devonshire cream?) and jams. Real tea. Shortbread. OMG, I am too hungry to do this right now.

If you want to go really gluggy, you could try battered and deep fried Mars Bars (Milky Way bars). For those who don't like sweets, you can make cheese scones by adding grated cheese to the mix, and a bit of cayenne pepper. Jam and cream scones or cheese scones, I love em both.

Mudbug, I am rattling this off because DH is already in bed, so if noone else gets back to you over-Europe-night I'll add to what is bound to be a ramshackle list below:

Savoury, it has to be the sandwich, we get through so many sandwiches in the uk: cheese and pickle, cucumber & cream cheese, prawn cocktail and of course Marmite sandwich and egg and cress sandwiches (ok, I know the last two are a bad idea!)

Mini sausage rolls, or the very popular cocktail sausages cooked in mustard and honey.

If you want to be flash I have had some lovely mini Yorkshire puddings with roast beef and horseradish sauce.

Sweet: scones (I am finding marscapone a surprisingly happy alternative to clotted cream), Victoria sponge cake, shortbread biscuits...or check out your nearest UK expat shop for biscuits! Jam tarts! Eccles cakes!

Most British kids eat Mac D's though :( Its hard to get good British snack food even in Britain sometimes.

thanks Alix, Louette, and lulu.

I'm thinking lulu's right and the kids would rather eat some junk instead of something cool such as clotted cream and scones.

Louette, I believe our beloved DC member Ishbel would have you know that the deep-fried Mars bars originated in Scotland rather than in other parts of the UK. However, I am quite happy to be corrected.

lulu, I might want to be the flash mom. Stay tuned.

Please keep the ideas coming. I have a month to prepare.

Chocolate and sweets in general are very big. Cadbury, etc. Trifle is probably a good idea too. As for savory, a pot of heinz beans with some toast and cheese or HP for toppings. Sausage is always a hit (bangers and mash). Tea is popular too!

Cheese on toast.
Welsh Rarebit.
Beans on toast.
Chips ( no, not those wafer thin things - big, fat, deep-fried potatoes!)
Cornish pasties
Samosas
Jamaica patties
Sardine paste sandwiches.

Flapjacks
scones
Chocolate digestive biscuits
eccles cakes
Rock buns
Cream horns
Swiss Roll

Just an idea or two!

Yep, as Clive mentioned, definately cheese on toast, chips (french fries), cornish pasties, oh and steak and kidney pie but I wouldnt consider that a snack, but more of a dinner.

We have excellent bakeries in the UK where they make fresh sandwiches which are delicious. You can also get hot foods like sausage rolls, cornish and cheese and onion pasties both of which are very good and I want one now!
As someone already mentioned beans on toast is very popular and is not as disgusting as it may sound to most Americans (my wife turned her nose up anyway lol).
Sausages and mash is also very good and we have LOTS of cafes that provide simple and tasty foods. We also have fish and chip shops that sell a variety of fishes with chips (the fries as you call them in America, in the UK potato chips are called crisps).
By the way I would reccommend that they stay away from kebab shops. The kebab meat is often very salty and usually almost cold!

Lucky girl and a great Mom----let us know how her trip goes!!! My daughter went on a freshman English high school field trip to the UK about 4 years ago and had a wonderful time---when the teachers learned that she and another boy had lived overseas for a few years they were handed the responsibility of handling all of the "tube" tickets navigating thru London. My daughter and this boy had several places to take them to eat so they didn't starve. Your daugher will have a blast!!!

Have been to the British Isles many times and love the regular grub.

For 40, could make a cottage, or shepherd's, pie. Can easily be done in caserole mode and serve with some HP sauce. Add a salad and you are done.

Or every pub serves jacket potatoes. They are only baked spuds with a choice of toppings from chili or shrimp or cheese. Could do a tater bar. Just Google for authentic' ideas.

Love bangeres and mash but the British banger tastes different than most of our sausages and you would have to order them on the web unless you have a local source. I don't know of one in N VA.

Scotch eggs are common all over Britain although I frankly do not like them.

Or can serve a ploughman's lunch buffet style. Very simple .

I suppose steak and kidney pie is out but they are good.

And I won't even mention haggis (OK I mentioned it). It is truly Scottish though, but we love the stuff. But you cannot get anything approaching the McCoy in this country (something about sheep lungs, the feds don't want us to eat them).

As an aside I beieve the deep fried Mars bar (their Mars bar is a bit different than ours) originated in Pasquale's in Edinburgh. Always meant to have one but for some reason we never have.

Am sure you will have a great success.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom