Almost instant French onion soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Candocook

Washing Up
I don't think I posted this here--but if I did, maybe the admins can delete this.

Anyway, I have in my freezer some caramelized onions made in a crockpot. You fill your crockpot to the tippy top with sliced onions, a stick of butter or big splash of olive oil and a splash of balsamic vinegar. Cook these for up to 24 hours--until the onions are caramelized well. Put in muffin cups, freeze, pop out, and put in plastic bags for storage.

Now for the instant part.
I had 2 of these "pucks". Put in a pan with about a cup or cup and a half of red wine and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Add a quart of good stock--I use chicken and simmer for 30 minutes. Absolutely DEEEElicious!!
Enjoy.

Lots of folks on another board recommend putting it outside to cook!! I am doing that tomorrow too. Had guests the last few days!

I do this also... not only is good for soup but on sandwiches. and they store easy or freeze them as Candocook said.

Bump!

I remembered this post from long ago and thought, this is the perfect time of year to do this! I just put a 5-lb. bag of onions on my grocery list.

Thanks for the bump, GG :)
I can see all kinds of uses for these onion pucks when in a hurry.

I think I will be jumping on this bandwagon. How are you guys slicing your onions? By hand? Mandolin? Food processor? Something else?

One or two, by hand or mandolin. A big batch, i would use the FP.

+Wow.... I also thank you for the bump. Our local Mexican market has white onions at 4 lbs for a dollar. This is a fantastic hint. My crock pot will be inside....love the smell of cooking onions, and I'll be using my trusty Mandolin, well Steve will be using it.

Last edited:
I don't have a mandolin, so I'm with Fi. My onion will be thin sliced before it lands back on the cutting board. Plus I just watched The Last Samurai again last night, so I'm ready! :D

I don't think I posted this here--but if I did, maybe the admins can delete this.

Anyway, I have in my freezer some caramelized onions made in a crockpot. You fill your crockpot to the tippy top with sliced onions, a stick of butter or big splash of olive oil and a splash of balsamic vinegar. Cook these for up to 24 hours--until the onions are caramelized well. Put in muffin cups, freeze, pop out, and put in plastic bags for storage.

Now for the instant part.
I had 2 of these "pucks". Put in a pan with about a cup or cup and a half of red wine and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Add a quart of good stock--I use chicken and simmer for 30 minutes. Absolutely DEEEElicious!!
Enjoy.

this gets my vote for cooking tip of the year!:chef: we really should make a special effort here at dc to keep members like candocook from straying away.... :(

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom