Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Soups (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f56/)
-   -   Almost instant French onion soup (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f56/almost-instant-french-onion-soup-31711.html)

Candocook 01-28-2007 06:34 AM

Almost instant French onion soup
 
I don't think I posted this here--but if I did, maybe the admins can delete this.

Anyway, I have in my freezer some caramelized onions made in a crockpot. You fill your crockpot to the tippy top with sliced onions, a stick of butter or big splash of olive oil and a splash of balsamic vinegar. Cook these for up to 24 hours--until the onions are caramelized well. Put in muffin cups, freeze, pop out, and put in plastic bags for storage.

Now for the instant part.
I had 2 of these "pucks". Put in a pan with about a cup or cup and a half of red wine and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Add a quart of good stock--I use chicken and simmer for 30 minutes. Absolutely DEEEElicious!!
Enjoy.

Michelemarie 01-28-2007 11:46 AM

Wow, that is interesting! Thanks for posting!

Uncle Bob 01-28-2007 11:54 AM

I think there is one onion in the house right now.
But tomorrow I will have a crock pot full! I garontee!

Three Cheers Cando:clap: :clap: :clap:

Candocook 01-28-2007 09:05 PM

Lots of folks on another board recommend putting it outside to cook!! I am doing that tomorrow too. Had guests the last few days!

Guts 03-25-2007 10:54 AM

I do this also... not only is good for soup but on sandwiches. and they store easy or freeze them as Candocook said.

GotGarlic 11-11-2012 05:26 PM

Bump!

I remembered this post from long ago and thought, this is the perfect time of year to do this! I just put a 5-lb. bag of onions on my grocery list.

PrincessFiona60 11-11-2012 05:30 PM

Thanks GG! It is timely and perfect, I know what I'll be doing later.

pacanis 11-11-2012 05:31 PM

Thanks for the bump, GG :smile:
I can see all kinds of uses for these onion pucks when in a hurry.

Zereh 11-11-2012 06:39 PM

mmmmmm onion pucks! Adding a bag of onions to my grocery list.

Dawgluver 11-11-2012 06:43 PM

Me too!

Somebunny 11-11-2012 06:50 PM

Me 3. I always buy the big bag if onions at Costco. This is a great idea!

CraigC 11-11-2012 07:44 PM

Don't forget the crouton and gruyere cheese!:wink:

taxlady 11-11-2012 07:56 PM

I think I will be jumping on this bandwagon. How are you guys slicing your onions? By hand? Mandolin? Food processor? Something else?

Dawgluver 11-11-2012 08:04 PM

One or two, by hand or mandolin. A big batch, i would use the FP.

PrincessFiona60 11-11-2012 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taxlady (Post 1205249)
I think I will be jumping on this bandwagon. How are you guys slicing your onions? By hand? Mandolin? Food processor? Something else?

I use my karate skills...:lol::rofl:

Kayelle 11-11-2012 09:11 PM

+Wow.... I also thank you for the bump. Our local Mexican market has white onions at 4 lbs for a dollar. This is a fantastic hint. My crock pot will be inside....love the smell of cooking onions, and I'll be using my trusty Mandolin, well Steve will be using it.

pacanis 11-12-2012 06:51 AM

I don't have a mandolin, so I'm with Fi. My onion will be thin sliced before it lands back on the cutting board. Plus I just watched The Last Samurai again last night, so I'm ready! :biggrin:

vitauta 11-12-2012 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Candocook (Post 391351)
I don't think I posted this here--but if I did, maybe the admins can delete this.

Anyway, I have in my freezer some caramelized onions made in a crockpot. You fill your crockpot to the tippy top with sliced onions, a stick of butter or big splash of olive oil and a splash of balsamic vinegar. Cook these for up to 24 hours--until the onions are caramelized well. Put in muffin cups, freeze, pop out, and put in plastic bags for storage.

Now for the instant part.
I had 2 of these "pucks". Put in a pan with about a cup or cup and a half of red wine and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Add a quart of good stock--I use chicken and simmer for 30 minutes. Absolutely DEEEElicious!!
Enjoy.

this gets my vote for cooking tip of the year!:chef: we really should make a special effort here at dc to keep members like candocook from straying away.... :(

taxlady 11-12-2012 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vitauta (Post 1205421)
this gets my vote for cooking tip of the year!:chef: we really should make a special effort here at dc to keep members like candocook from straying away.... :(

Great idea. But, if we are going to give out a title, we should probably give one to Bolas for something posted this year: https://www.discusscooking.com/forums...ml#post1064438

PrincessFiona60 11-12-2012 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pacanis (Post 1205415)
I don't have a mandolin, so I'm with Fi. My onion will be thin sliced before it lands back on the cutting board. Plus I just watched The Last Samurai again last night, so I'm ready! :biggrin:

Might use the Bass-o-Matic...:lol:

vitauta 11-12-2012 12:08 PM

my comment was meant to be strictly off-the-cuff. but taxy, how did you find bolas' post from last year? did you specifically remember it and then do a search?

i know that some people don't like to have threads dredged up from years ago. i know this because when i was first new at dc, i did some of it myself if the subject was of special interest. actually, there is a wealth of archived information to be found in dc's files, for anyone with the time to peruse it....

and by all means, let's not let a treasure like bolas get away from us at dc, either.

taxlady 11-12-2012 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vitauta (Post 1205461)
my comment was meant to be strictly off-the-cuff. but taxy, how did you find bolas' post from last year? did you specifically remember it and then do a search?

i know that some people don't like to have threads dredged up from years ago. i know this because when i was first new at dc, i did some of it myself if the subject was of special interest. actually, there is a wealth of archived information to be found in dc's files, for anyone with the time to peruse it....

and by all means, let's not let a treasure like bolas get away from us at dc, either.

I remembered it and searched. He also mentions his "onion goop" in a more recent thread. He says he has simplified his method and now just throws only sliced onions in the crock pot, no butter, nothing else. He mentions that the onions are kinda pale, so he quickly fries them up before use, to give them some colour.

GotGarlic 11-12-2012 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taxlady (Post 1205464)
I remembered it and searched. He also mentions his "onion goop" in a more recent thread. He says he has simplified his method and now just throws only sliced onions in the crock pot, no butter, nothing else. He mentions that the onions are kinda pale, so he quickly fries them up before use, to give them some colour.

Thanks for bringing this up, TL :smile: I don't remember seeing the post by Bolas. Good to know I won't need to use all that butter! I think I will add a glug of evoo and a splash of balsamic vinegar, though, to help with the color and add some flavor. And a big pinch of salt.

Chef Maloney 11-12-2012 10:53 PM

I am sooooo doing this. (with butter & sugar) :>)

pacanis 11-13-2012 05:47 AM

I was thinking of a little soy sauce. I love onions with a splash of soy.

PrincessFiona60 11-13-2012 08:08 AM

My thoughts too, Pac. I would rather use soy sauce than Balsamic. But, I grew up with soy sauce in everything.

chopper 11-14-2012 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60
My thoughts too, Pac. I would rather use soy sauce than Balsamic. But, I grew up with soy sauce in everything.

We call soy sauce black salt. Yum.

pacanis 11-17-2012 08:49 PM

So caramelized onions in a crock pot method aside, And of course some cheese and croutons would have to find their way into my crock, how does the rest of this recipe look?
I've never made French onion soup and it surprised me to see the use of chicken instead of beef broth. Would the red wine and chicken broth suffice?

taxlady 11-17-2012 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pacanis (Post 1207752)
So caramelized onions in a crock pot method aside, And of course some cheese and croutons would have to find their way into my crock, how does the rest of this recipe look?
I've never made French onion soup and it surprised me to see the use of chicken instead of beef broth. Would the red wine and chicken broth suffice?

I have only made it once. I followed Julia Child's recipe. It calls for beef stock, dry French vermouth (I used Italian vermouth - can't get the French one anymore.), and brandy. I will be experimenting next time. I thought there was too much booze in it!

I wouldn't put the croutons and cheese in the crock pot. I would take the soup out of the pot and put it in some kind of oven proof bowl or a Dutch oven and then float toasted bread and cheese on top of the hot soup and broil it until the cheese is bubbly and starting to brown.

pacanis 11-17-2012 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taxlady (Post 1207761)
I have only made it once. I followed Julia Child's recipe. It calls for beef stock, dry French vermouth (I used Italian vermouth - can't get the French one anymore.), and brandy. I will be experimenting next time. I thought there was too much booze in it!

I wouldn't put the croutons and cheese in the crock pot. I would take the soup out of the pot and put it in some kind of oven proof bowl or a Dutch oven and then float toasted bread and cheese on top of the hot soup and broil it until the cheese is bubbly and starting to brown.

My ex made it once and I know she used cognac... It was alright.

I thought they called the bowls French onion soup is baked in crocks. I didn't mean I was going to add the cheese and croutons to the crock pot. Maybe my terminology is off.

PrincessFiona60 11-17-2012 09:07 PM

I don't use any booze in my French Onion soup, but I do use a good beef stock, garlic toasts and fresh cheese for the top.

Andy M. 11-17-2012 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pacanis (Post 1207767)
My ex made it once and I know she used cognac... It was alright...


Julia often had more than one recipe for a dish. I have one that calls for beef broth, white wine and brandy.

taxlady 11-17-2012 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pacanis (Post 1207767)
My ex made it once and I know she used cognac... It was alright.

I thought they called the bowls French onion soup is baked in crocks. I didn't mean I was going to add the cheese and croutons to the crock pot. Maybe my terminology is off.

The bowls might be called crocks. I don't know. :lol: I misunderstood you. I had visions of you adding the croutons and cheese to the crock pot. :ohmy:

pacanis 11-17-2012 09:24 PM

That would be a cheesy, mooky mess, Taxy :lol:

I suppose since it's only "semi-instant" it can be played with. Maybe whatever broth I have opened in the fridge, but I'm leaning towards beef :wink:
My goal is to take a mini-puck and add the rest of the ingredients, then bake it. Something I could throw together in five minutes and let the oven do the rest.

Andy M. 11-17-2012 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pacanis (Post 1207780)
That would be a cheesy, mooky mess, Taxy :lol:

I suppose since it's only "semi-instant" it can be played with. Maybe whatever broth I have opened in the fridge, but I'm leaning towards beef :wink:
My goal is to take a mini-puck and add the rest of the ingredients, then bake it. Something I could throw together in five minutes and let the oven do the rest.

Once the onions are caramelized, all you really have to do is simmer with the liquids for a few minutes then add the croutons and cheese and under the broiler to melt the cheese.

pacanis 11-17-2012 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy M. (Post 1207785)
Once the onions are caramelized, all you really have to do is simmer with the liquids for a few minutes then add the croutons and cheese and under the broiler to melt the cheese.

Thanks. Sounds like the toaster oven will work perfectly then. I can simmer everything on low, then add the cheese and croutons and crank it up to broil.

Andy M. 11-17-2012 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pacanis (Post 1207793)
Thanks. Sounds like the toaster oven will work perfectly then. I can simmer everything on low, then add the cheese and croutons and crank it up to broil.

I do the simmering on the stovetop but a toaster oven will do the trick.

PrincessFiona60 11-17-2012 10:01 PM

I cooked up "ramen" soup for Shrek. Cooked the chicken with the soy sauce, divided into 2 ounce portions and then the cooked noodles, divided in to servings. Froze each in ziplocks and all he has to do is toss it in a bowl add a cup of water and, ta da in the microwave...soup!

Kylie1969 11-18-2012 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 (Post 1207768)
I don't use any booze in my French Onion soup, but I do use a good beef stock, garlic toasts and fresh cheese for the top.

That sounds nice Fi :yum:

vitauta 11-18-2012 11:27 AM

can't wait to make my first potful of 'almost instant' next week! i'll be following the recipe, and adding soy sauce to the pot. to the chicken broth i'll be adding beef consommé, for its robust beefiness, oh yea, and splashes of Beaujolais wine (only not too much, ya gotta leave enough for drinking) to bring it all home. oh yeah, it's gonna be killer! :)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.