Choco-Coffee Rub

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

moonglowlady

Assistant Cook
(I hope this goes to the right place)
I have been making and using a choco-coffee rub for about 2 years now.
It resides in a "recycled" mayo jar with a "recycled" shaker top from a grated parmesan cheese jar. I prefer glass to plastic and found that the "shake" cheese lid fit perfectly on a mayonaisse jar mouth. So I have holes under one lid flap for shaking and a scoop shape under another lid flap for re-filling.

In this I put:

Finely Ground French Roast Coffee
Finely ground Spanish Cocoa
Finely ground brown sugar
Hot Red Pepper powder
Finely Ground Cinnamon
Finely Ground Ginger
Kosher Salt

I do grind the brown sugar, or sieve it or something to make it as fine as possible. The quantities are listed in order. The coffee and cocoa are almost equal, the cocoa, slightly less. Then the brown sugar amount is just below the cocoa amount.

So, an example is:

1 cup coffee grounds (8 oz.)
1/2 to 3/4 cup cocoa (4-6 oz)
1/3 to 1/2 cup brown sugar (3 - 4 oz)

then just tablespoon or teaspoon amounts of seasonings, such as, based on the amounts above;
1 (or less) TBSP Hot Pepper
1 (or lesss)TBSP Cinnamon
1 - 2 TSP ground ginger
1 - 2 TSP Kosher Salt

As you can see, the measurements are flexible, but I follow these basic proportions when I make a new batch.

Now, as far as to what this can be applied, I have used it on EVERY protein main object, including;

Beef ribs
Beef steak
Beef stew chuncks
Ground Beef (burgers)

Pork Roast
Pork chops

Whole Roast Chicken
Roast Chicken parts
Slow Baked Crispy Chicken wings
Grilled Chicken Breasts

Whole Roast Turkey

Mahi-Mahi Steaks
Swordfish Steaks

Sauteed Shrimps

My daughter does not like this rub. I love it. It may be a very personal preference.
(My daughter drinks instant coffee but loves my {from scratch-of-course}onion soup gratinee).
So, go figure...

I have an outdoor grill during the summmer months, but other times I use a "grill pan" on my stovetop which gives me fabulous results.

I hope you enjoy the rub listed above. I have used it on everything but the kids (as my mother would say).
I actually crave it. At least once a week I find something on which to put this rub.

I have been wanting to try a Coffee rub and may try your suggestion before the days grow short. Another way to get a deep almost chocolate flavor is to toast peppers, dry peppers. I usually acquire Ancho (dry Pablano) or dry pasilla or cascabel peppers and place them into a hot dry skillet until they smoke a bit. Let them cool and grind them to a fine powder in a coffee grinder. I made sausage and rice using toasted chilis just last night and it really brings the flavor out.

If you are not familiar with these chilis, they are not hot and have a great peppery aroma and flavor. It is the only way to make a truely excellent chili as well.

Thanks and take care,
Bryan

Is this the same rub that would be used on an "espresso rubbed" rib eye? I've seen these in some steak resturants lately and LOVE them.

Bryan, that is similar to how I make my own chili powder:

Chili Powder
6 oz dried chiles (mild, hot or combination. Ancho or pasillo are the mildest and guajillo and chiles de arbol are a little hotter. I mix them up)
2 TBS ground cumin
2 tsp ground paprika
4 tsp salt
2 tsp garlic salt
2 tsp oregano
2 tsp onion salt
4 tsp dried cilantro

Cut off stems of chiles and remove seeds. Toast lightly in a preheated heavy skillet (less than a minute) until they are fragrant. Blend all ingredients with chiles in a food processor until powdery. Store in an air-tight glass jar.

This makes a wonderful seasoning for chicken, fish, guacamole, carne asada, etc. You can even make good enchilada sauce out of it by making a flour roux in a skillet and adding broth.

Back
Top Bottom