Barbaro is gone ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
AWWWWWWWWWW!!!! Geez, I saw on the news that they were concerned about his leg, but I didn't think they'd put him down. At least, not today.

awwww I'm sorry to hear that.

Lee

:( :cry: :cry: He had many additional problems besides the broken bones. Laminitis is a forward rotation of the bones in the hoof, it causes the horse to basiclly be standing on his tip toe. when you have one leg you can't stand on due to broken bones and the other hoof is extremely painful, you would be so miserable.There is a saying in the horse world "No Hoof, No Horse." Horses need to move to help pump the blood back up the leg, if he can't, circulation becomes an issue also.
In the long run, it was really the most humane thing to do. He was a gallant horse. May his Soul Rest in Peace and free of pain

There was a time when going to a cheaper track meant that one had to accept the fact that a horse would break down every few days, or in some cases less than that.

Two thoroughbred tracks I recall, and do still go to, are Tampa Bay Downs and Charles Town Racetrack in WVa.

Today both are much improved, particularly Charles Town where the purses have become so much better than they were. It is because of the slot machines which dominate the whole area. Understand that some of those profits must go to the purses, and the horse flesh has improved enormously.

And I am glad to see that.

But race horses are delicate beasts and breeding has resulted in half a ton of racing machine trying to do it on relatively thin sticks.

Remember Ruffian breaking down (gosh, that was over 30 years ago). A very well bred filly who maybe made a misstep, or had a weakness, broke down and had to be euthanized, after everything that could be done fore her was.

It is a tough sport. And hate to see a colt, filly, mare or horse break down.

But even the highest bred will.

Sadly.

I have to add my two cents about poor Barbaro. I really hope he would have pulled through. Poor guy. So sad.

I could only heave a sigh of relief. Barbaro had been through so much and I'm glad he is out of pain.

I'm sure we'll have 100s of baby Barbaros around in about another year.

Oh, I thought they would have been collecting sperm from the day he won the Derby.

Last edited:
No he was busy being rushed into surgery. (FYI) Actually, to be a registered Thoroughbred only live cover is allowed. No Invetro- Fertilization or frozen allowed.

Renee, I didn't know that about the sperm. Thank you. btw, he was rushed to surgery after the Preakness, not the Derby.

Isn't this nice:

HALLANDALE BEACH, Fla. Jan 30, 2007 (AP)— A Florida race track is honoring Barbaro by establishing a scholarship in his name. (Gulfstream Park)
Officials say the award will be worth at least $20,000 and will go to high school students planning to study veterinary medicine at the University of Florida.

Last edited:
No one at the moment, as I understand understand it, accepts artificial insemination for thoroughbreds or standardbreds.

Why? I am not sure. But it sure seems if artificial insemination was accepted there would be many chances for corruption. The track has been known for its very classy and honest persons, but at least equally as much for the many crooks who have fixed races.

Many confidence schemes have focused on racehorses.

If a stallion services a mare the owners only pay for the services when there is a foal.

And then they know whom the daddy is.

Just my take on the matter. There may be many others.

Take care.

Aunt Dot...I'm very sad about Barbaro but I was sadder to see him in so much pain. He had the best care in the world and there was nothing anyone could do.

I had no idea that they couldn't be artificially inseminated but it sure makes sense. A hoax along those lines just never would have occurred to me. I guess I'm too simple to be a scam artist.

Renee Attili said:
Unfortunatly there are no offspring of his. He never got to retire to breeding. maybe some brothers or sisters.

Actually I just read yesterday that Barbaro's mother is expecting in the spring. So far they're saying it's a male.

auntdot said:
No one at the moment, as I understand understand it, accepts artificial insemination for thoroughbreds or standardbreds.

Why? I am not sure. But it sure seems if artificial insemination was accepted there would be many chances for corruption. The track has been known for its very classy and honest persons, but at least equally as much for the many crooks who have fixed races.

Many confidence schemes have focused on racehorses.

If a stallion services a mare the owners only pay for the services when there is a foal.

And then they know whom the daddy is.

Just my take on the matter. There may be many others.

Take care.

There is a simple reason for the banning of AI, whether its valid or not is debatable, my guess, knowing well the fashions of the racing and indeed the larger equine industry is fashion. You get a succesful horse and every mare owner in the world wants to use him. Thats great for genetic diversity in the short term....horses all over the world having access to genes in one place, but then, when you are ready to breed from those offspring you find out they are all half siblings, lol. TBs have to be particularly tight on genetics really, they all decend from the same, I believe, 13 horses - I used to be able to name them all too! So, while the divergence since then has been tremendous, the risk of disaster is also great.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom