Ideas for care pkg from U.S. to U.K?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BluePlate

Assistant Cook
Hellol,

Hope this finds everyone well.

I'm going to send a pkg to some new friends I made in the U.K. (never met them in person) - they have two young kids. I was wondering if anyone might have some ideas on possible treats (candies, non-perishables, not too heavy) that I could send (from Chicago) that might be unique or novel to a recipient residing in the U.K. Are there candies here that they can't get over there? Etc.

I've never been to the U.K. myself, so I thought I might ask around.

Many thanks for your consideration! Cheers, :)

I would just pick some things that are unique to your area. Dont bother with cadbury, they have that in the UK. And for that matter dont bother with chocolate in general because theirs is way better than our seeing as they can get belgian chocolates (although Hersheys would be unique). Sweedish fish, gummies sour and sweet, trail mix with nuts and seeds, and a Chicago Bears winning newspaper ;)

I agree with Amber. Until you get to know your new friends a little better, you might open your world to them. That in itself would be a gift to anyone. And by far more meaningful than a care package.
A scrapebook would be a wonderful gift. Take pictures of you and your family and any pets. Pictures of your house, car(s), neighborhood. Parks & shopping. And of course special places to see in Chicago. Take pictures of your work place and/or school. Pictures of your favorite restaurant. Share special interest about your lifestyle, like ice skating, hockey, needlepoint, books you love to read, favorite recipes, Harry Potter in the USA, Your favorite theme park (Great America), video games and music.

Peanut butter, yep. The Brits don't have it. At least never saw it there.

Would definitely include that in the package.

LOL! There is peanut butter here! I even by Skippy Creamy!

Id send some candy for the kids, things like Jolly Ranchers Lollies, SweetTarts etc...cant get those here! Agree with the others about chocolate, dont bother...the best chocolate here (and its not Cadburys!)

Oooo, edited to add... Reese's Pieces! I bring some back here and my husband and his buddies went nuts! Oh and since Easter is around the corner, maybe some Peeps!

(can you tell I'm a kid at heart!!)

Last edited:
I can always find Reese's in UK, Redkitty....maybe harder out of London, not sure I have ever looked in the Westcountry. Otherwise agree with you on everything else, of course we have peanut butter! And all the other nut butters.... What is harder to get is Goobers, with the grape jelly twisted though it....even my anti-processed food knees go weak at the siht of that yummy stuff, grape jelly is hard to get full stop. Lucky charms cereal...we used to have it in UK, now its vcery hard to get and expensive when you can find it.

Reeses Peanut butter cups and some beef jerky would be good, you can`t get those here, a few boxes of KD and some Twinkies too.

Last edited:
I must be really lucky that I can get Reese's cups and various types of jerky in UK then....

where do you go? I`de love some!

and KD, that stuff`s great :)

in fact if you have a PayPal account, I`de glady send you the cash for a care parcel :)

Ive only seen them once here. Never ever seen any Hostess baked goods. And Ive never seen the Pieces here. I dont eat jerky so that I dont know about.

WOW, thank you so much everyone for your very thoughtful comments!!! I really appreciate it. I had knit scarves for them and was looking for some things to fill up the box. That's a good thing to know not to bother with chocolate. I can definitely get some Lucky Charms and grape jelly. I wonder why grape jelly is expensive in the U.K.? My friends live in Cornwall. I had no idea jerky is hard to get in some places in the U.K. We have all kinds here - American beef jerky, Chinese beef jerky... we even have salmon jerky and chicken nugget jerky. No Biltong, but I guess that would sort of be missing the point
icon10.gif

What's KD?

Thanks so much again for your thoughts. I really appreciate it! Have a great weekend!

Hmm, I'm not in UK at the moment YT, when I am you'll know by my posts and if I forget nudge me and I'll sort it out for you. In London its easy (BTW Selfridges and Harrods stock it, both would, I am sure, post or deliver) I also get jerky locally in Somerset and pretty much every deli and many butchers in southeast. Anyway, as I say, if I forget remind me.

Redkitty, DH tells me I am barking mad and its hard to find Reese;s pieces, but agrees its not so bad to find the cups, which I LOVE!

I hear they don't have Oreos in the UK but have never checked up on it.

I think Oreos would be a great idea!

I love all that British chocolate though. Yum. Smarties, penguins, bournville, aeros, salt and vinegar crisps (not chocolate but tasty just the same!) :LOL:

Last edited:
We get oreos in England, but they are pricey! Most blockbusters sell them, and a lot of the supermarkets. The special ones, like double stuff etc are very hard to get hold of though....that would be a very good idea!

This thread is making me giggle, the discussion like a sort of a fabled country, the UK where the rest of the world think we all ride horses, live in places called Under Littlehampton or something similar and wear tweed, rofl!

Oooooooooh, I wish all the men DID wear kilts, I love a man in a kilt. Kind of upset that my DH has no right to wear one, still, might get him into my family tartan one day ;)

Back
Top Bottom