Hi, (or aloha) from Hawaii!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ormandj

Assistant Cook
I'm an all-around IT guy with a good sense of humor and a love for good conversation. I'm originally from DC. When I was 3, I moved to central Texas with my family, finished HS in 2000, then moved to Dallas for university. After graduating from university in 2004, I decided I'd make a big change in my life, and moved to Hawaii.

Well, that worked out well in one way (I started a business here, an underground data center.) That said, I don't like living here. It's far too expensive and I don't really fit well with the "laid back" lifestyle, so I'm planning to move back to Dallas or Austin (or some other larger city with low cost of living!) I'll keep the business, luckily, can run it remotely. :) I do work, as well, to keep my days occupied. Right now I'm working for the State of Hawaii, maintaining/modifying/etc their financial management information system. Don't gag - COBOL! It's funny, the system is nearly a full decade older than I am. :LOL:

I recently (the past year or so) started to cook. I made a huge lifestyle change. I was a smoker, drank regularily (much more than I should), did not eat vegetables (almost a strict carnivour, except for the staples such as potatoes), etc. Well, I quit smoking, I only drink socially, and even then much small amounts, and I'm eating salad every day! I feel a lot better, both physically and mentally. Cooking is one of the ways I've started to spend my "free time" that used to be taken up by my vices. It relaxes me, and as a bonus - it's much healthier than the alternatives here.

Why is it, that in America, if you want a relatively inexpensive meal, your only choice is fast food (death) or cooking? There's no inbetween, restaurants will charge you an arm and a leg, fast food is a few pennies. I miss the cafes in Europe. Oh well, now i cook!

I love traveling, I've been pretty much everywhere in Europe, from Germany to Italy to Russia to Romania and so forth. I normally spend a few weeks to a month, and since I travel alone I always have a blast going out and meeting new people. I've got friends all over now! ;) This is my other hobby, other than cooking. It's slowed down a bit though, since I work and generally a month off at a time is frowned upon. :p

I came here to learn the "secrets" of culinary art. I've been cooking primarily Italian food (my fav.) but I am trying to expand my abilities to other ethnic foods. I've got a bunch of great books, but sometimes I have questions that only another human/cook can answer. Google doesn't always cut it! See my post in the beef forums, for an example. ;)

Well, before you all pass out/fall asleep/pass away, I better end this post! I look forward to interacting with you all, this seems like a really wonderful community, and I know I will learn volumes of new things. I'm quite excited, you see!

Cheers,
David

Hi David, welcome to DC! Nice to know that you are now living a more healthy life. I am sure you will benefit greatly from this forum. So start getting actively involved!

Hi David - this is a great board, good recipes, cooking advice and great people - welcome!

I will soon be a Texan myself as my husband's company is relocating us to Austin in the next couple of months.
Good luck with your move back to the mainland - and welcome to DC!

Welcome Welcome Welcome!
We're so glad you're here!

*however, now that I know you're a computer guy, I may ask you a few questions now and then...:ermm:

jkath said:
Welcome Welcome Welcome!
We're so glad you're here!

*however, now that I know you're a computer guy, I may ask you a few questions now and then...:ermm:

Absolutely feel free to ask anything you'd like! It's always my pleasure to help out others, just as others help out me. I'm feeling extra benevolent today, I'll even charge you 1/2 my consulting rate! Hehe, just kidding! Feel free to PM or if there is an off-topic discussion area or even a computer section, feel free to make a post there. I'll check on this forum for such places later and make sure I check them daily.

The welcome-feeling computer nerd,
David

TATTRAT said:
Aloha!

I will be moving to Hawaii in September, I can't wait!

Welcome to DC!

Super! If you like the laid back lifestyle, you'll love it here. I'm more of a big-city kind of person myself, and I also don't do well with only a tiny little bit of space (rock fever...)

Let me know what island you're coming to, I can help you out with all kinds of great tips on where to go/what to do/best local places/etc!

My business is staying here, and a partner of mine will be staying behind too. He LOVES Hawaii, knows EVERYTHING about Hawaii, and would LOVE to help you out! He's given tours to random people who've just stumbled upon our business, haha.

Cheers,
David

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom