When will people get some sense?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Half Baked

Executive Chef
A county by us has a fire marshall going through schools and making them take down all the art and learning materials on bulletin boards. It's a fire hazard, doncha know....grrrrr.

I'm sure we all can recollect how proud we were to go home and tell our parents that our work (be it art, essay or a lovely printed paper) was on the bulletin board in the classroom, or do we dare hope - in the hallway or cafeteria for all to see. Did any of your schools burn down due to a homemade covered wagon sitting on top of the lockers?

This to me is on the line of the counties that won't allow jungle gyms, whirly gigs, slides, kickball or tag to be played during a break because it might hurt some child. I can't believe what is going on in this country. It makes me want to scream.

My word, our family has had it's share of broken bones, bruises, bumps, stitches and scars from playing outside. I wish the courts would toss out these stupid frivolous lawsuits that people and their lawyers are bringing in to clog up our court system.

I could spit nails.

Yes, I KNOW some are legitimate but a very high percentage are ...ridiculous!!! :furious:

Half I agree. To me kids these days can't play and have the same fun memories we had of our younger days. It's a shame.

Jan, isn't there a percentage of wall space that has to be left empty there? Here you need to have 30% of your wall space left blank, but you can cover the rest with whatever you wish. Poor kids, that would be so sad!

As to some of the other useless regulations, I wish I could find the link for stupid laws in your area, it makes me laugh every time I see it.

Apparently, common sense isn't really so COMMON.

well, if it doesn't burn down the school, then it will cause the coloring challenged angst not to have their scriblings tacked up as often, ... somethings gotta give, eh??

Robo410 said:
well, if it doesn't burn down the school, then it will cause the coloring challenged angst not to have their scriblings tacked up as often, ... somethings gotta give, eh??

roflmao!!! :ROFLMAO:

Jan, isn't there a percentage of wall space that has to be left empty there? Here you need to have 30% of your wall space left blank
Yes Alix, they did mention a percentage but it was more like they could have 20% covered but I wouldn't swear to it.

I believe they are trying to update all the sprinkler systems in the schools and this must be his way of trying to make it happen soon. In my scarred, cynical and frustrated mind, I'm wondering if he owns stock in a sprinkler company.

Last edited:
what's so important about a blank wall? is 20% too little? 35% too much?
how do they come up with these ratios? and what on earth for?

Yes, Jan, that is ridiculous. Poor children. I remember my elementary school days fondly because of some of what these students will be denied.

Oh, and don't forget, many districts don't allow Valentine's Day parties either. Some poor child might not get one or might get one that is less than lovey, lovey and have their feelings hurt. Waa! Waa! Poor baby.

I had forgotten about that one Katie. It's so sad.

Can they have fun at St Patrick's Day or will it offend the shorter children? It's getting absurb.

A fire hazzard for having art work on a bulletin board?? Thats ridiculous. There is plenty of paper in schools other than on bulletin boards! I certainly hope the families of these children voice their opposition to this rule at a PTA meeting.

Litigation! sux don`t it :mad:

it seems in todays society people know much more about their "Rights" than they do about their Resposibilities!

Sorry, I wasn't clear. You can COVER 70% of the wall. But 30% must be clear. I guess it burns slower that way. Who the heck knows where they come up with that stuff.:wacko:

amber said:
A fire hazzard for having art work on a bulletin board?? Thats ridiculous. There is plenty of paper in schools other than on bulletin boards! I certainly hope the families of these children voice their opposition to this rule at a PTA meeting.

I don't think the PTA would have any authority over the Fire Chief. :neutral:

Katie E said:
Yes, Jan, that is ridiculous. Poor children. I remember my elementary school days fondly because of some of what these students will be denied.

Oh, and don't forget, many districts don't allow Valentine's Day parties either. Some poor child might not get one or might get one that is less than lovey, lovey and have their feelings hurt. Waa! Waa! Poor baby.
here long before it was a given, my daughters would send home notes, asking parents to pick up those inexpensive packs of valentines that had 30-40 per package. This way, the children would give one to each of the kids in the class and everyone was included. Now it's done in all the schools..Things like halloween are now called fall harvest, lots of parents feel halloween is the devils work!!! Christmas is winter break, so many different faiths and celebrating them all just can't fit the schedule, Easter is spring break..faiths again, roll with the times I suppose!
kadesma:huh:

One woman in a county close to me fought tooth and nail to keep the Harry Potter books out of school due to the 'witchcraft'.

I don't need to explain about books like The Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe.

Are they crazy or trying to get their 15 minutes of fame?

Pook said:
Gaaahhhhh!! It makes you wonder how those of us over forty even lived this long. I skateboarded without a helmet, cycled without a helmet, roller-skated, fell out of trees, wrapped myself around trees while skiing, played baseball, football, kill-the-kid-with-the-ball, you name it...PLUS I can remember the halls being wall-to-wall with artwork and the school didn't burn down. Although at times we hoped it would LOL!
We didn't have Ritalin, there were no more than 3 TV channels, computers were something on Star Trek, video games were at that weird place in the mall, and never had to be yelled at to go outside. Herding us in was the problem.
We even had chicken pox.
Good grief! How in the world did we make it?
Grrrr.
Hugs,
Pook

Amen...in a nutshell Pook! Good job.

Back
Top Bottom