Microwaves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

csalt

Sous Chef
Just recently someone sent me an email about microwave ovens. It had an illustration of 2 plants, one of which had been watered by microwaved water and the other by tap water. Their illustration indicated that the tap water one survived and not the other and finished up with the warning to " toss out your microwave":mad:

I deleted the message and have no intention of tossing out the microwave which we have been using, in addition to our nornal cooker, for over 30 years.
I personally do not believe that nutrients etc are destroyed and think it a 'load of rubbish'.:ermm:
What does anyone else think? I find mine very useful for loads of things.
Not least, in this weather, heating our microwaveable hot water bottles :rolleyes:

it does little to the water than perhaps de-oxygenate it a little, the same can be done in a kettle though.
in fact it`s good practice to MW your compost before use on seedlings, it kills many of the pathogens that can be present.

MWd water will kill plants without fail (just don`t let it cool before watering it):ermm::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Andy M. said:
I think it's rubbish.

So glad someone else does too ;)

What 'got up my nose' apart from the instruction to 'toss out our microwave' was the added instruction that it was imperative I forward the email to at least 5 others!:mad: My pet hate is chain letters they are so STUPID!!:ohmy:

There are as many opinions which say vegetables lose none of their nutrients through microwave cooking as there are the doom and gloom ones who say you're destroying everything good. Not being a scientist I have no idea but then 'ignorance is bliss!':rolleyes:

as a Scientist I can tell you quite catagoricaly, it`s exactly as Andy.M said,
Utter Nonsense!

There are lot s of folks on the internet that know they can cause problems by making such a statement. If such an email gets a lot of reads through the mass forwarding, it gains in credibility.

Internet users must keep their common sense active and apply it to all the read on the internet. Especially wild claims such as this one.

I think the problem rests in the word "Radiation" and all the bad press it gets and the misconceptions folk have about it.
most tend to think of Ionising radiation, and totaly overlook the fact that MW radiation is Not Ionising!
your electric toaster emits radiation too, Infrared radiation and no one worries about that :)

it`s sad that these trolls exploit such misconceptions :(

Well, firstly I hate chain letters, I really do, and I never ever forward them. They are enough to get my back up before reading the content. As to the microwave, I don't have one anymore, when we do have one in UK it is used mainly for the microwave popcorn we have maybe three times a year, and very occasionally melting butter. I don't like them much, I have no scientific reasoning for this, I just don't like 'em. There is little joy or poetry in cooking using one for me, and I there are a dozen things I personally would but first. But its an entirely personal decision, and not one I would force anyone (let alone 5 other people) to read in a chain letter!

Of all the tools in the kitchen, the microwave seems to generate the most negative feelings.

It's just a tool, as a can opener, or chef's knife is a tool.

YT2095 said:
I dunno, the Chefs Knife is pretty Up there too, ever seen Psycho:LOL:

I guess if you look hard enough, anything beyond grazing in the wilderness for your food, can be considered evil.

Pick and choose your facts and tell part of the story and you can always arrive at false conclusions.
especially when thier agenda is advancing and propogation of lies in the first place.

it`s not even like they know where all these people live and wait outside your house to take your microwave out the trash can and sell it.
what DO they actualy get out of it?

I'd like to expose the real dangers of dihrydromonoxide, a common but lethal substance. Congress once tried to ban it, but the wimps just couldn't get the votes...some pac or other was pushing its own agenda against the better welfare of all Americans. Anyway, more people die each year from exposure to dihyromonoxide than almost any other substance, yet every day we are exposed to it! This has got to stop. So please write your elected officials to ban once and for all, dihydromonoxide (H2O). While you're at it, will you sign my petition to stamp out hayfever by blacktopping the earth?

DihydrogenMonoxide can be perfectly lethal, and yet the .Gov do nothing about it, they allow it in our foods even!
Kids are allowed to play with it in crystaline form :eek:
it`s even involved in some "Sports", bad taste if you ask me.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Stop Stop! This forum thread is becoming a danger to my health:rolleyes: I've laughed so much it may cause me to have a hernia!!

All these health warnings etc are anathema to me as I've been around probably somewhat longer than many of you and am still very much alive and kicking. I don't like people who try to make up my mind for me!

Nothing will make me get rid of the microwave and now that I have the right sort of 'mailwasher' I take fiendish delight in bouncing the odd chain letter all the way to ....!! The strangest thing is that the person who sends them is someone who has so much common sense (usually)

Thanks all :angel:

csalt said:
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Stop Stop! This forum thread is becoming a danger to my health:rolleyes: I've laughed so much it may cause me to have a hernia!!

All these health warnings etc are anathema to me as I've been around probably somewhat longer than many of you and am still very much alive and kicking. I don't like people who try to make up my mind for me!

Nothing will make me get rid of the microwave and now that I have the right sort of 'mailwasher' I take fiendish delight in bouncing the odd chain letter all the way to ....!! The strangest thing is that the person who sends them is someone who has so much common sense (usually)

Thanks all :angel:

I GUESS THE TOPIC HERE WAS CHAIN LETTERS !!!!!!!!!!!!! JUST TOSS IT IN THEIR MICROFACE....ERRM....MICROWAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:glare:

StirBlue said:
I GUESS THE TOPIC HERE WAS CHAIN LETTERS !!!!!!!!!!!!! JUST TOSS IT IN THEIR MICROFACE....ERRM....MICROWAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:glare:

and set to 'full power':ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

that`s fine, but make sure there`s no DHMO on the letter, wouldn`t want to kill any Plants now would we :)

Back
Top Bottom