Gung Hay Fat Choy!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
happy chinese new year everyone!

welcome to the year of the red fire pig.

in honor of the new year, i'm making ginger and garlic stir fried shrimp tonight, since i never used the shrimp in a fra diavolo last night.

does anyone here celebrate chinese new year?

(where all of our jewish members? if not for the chinese, you'd have starved... ;) )

Never celebrated Chinese New Year. But I could go for a huge bowl of fried pork rice and some wonton soup right about now. Oh heck throw in some sweet and sour pork with it.

Happy Chinese New Year

I`ll celebrate almost Anything and rarely need an excuse, Gung Hay Fat Choy to you too Dude ;)

according to my Calendar, 2007 is the year of the Boar (the Pig thingy, not the sort that sends you to sleep).

Same here...I'm always up for a celebration.
For my birthday, I got a gift certificate for the Full Moon House, a small local establishment owned by a family who immigrated here from China about 30 years ago. The food is delicious, and the prices are quite reasonable.
I'd love to go there for dinner tonight, but it's been snowing off and on since midnight, and it's starting to pile up. Think I'll just stay in with my snuggly blanket. I have a lot of canned Chinese vegies on hand...maybe I'll get creative.

buckytom said:
happy chinese new year everyone!

welcome to the year of the red fire pig.

in honor of the new year, i'm making ginger and garlic stir fried shrimp tonight, since i never used the shrimp in a fra diavolo last night.

does anyone here celebrate chinese new year?

(where all of our jewish members? if not for the chinese, you'd have starved... ;) )

Hi Buckytom,

Yes, we do celebrate with lots of food!!!..one very popular dish served that we make is jai, a dish that the Buddhist Monks used to eat..mostly vegetarian including:[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Arial]
[/FONT]
tree fungus, lotus seed, ginko nuts black moss seaweed, dry golden lily
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Arial]dried tofu sticks,long rice, sliced bamboo shoots, sliced lotus root, carrot, into "coins" Chinese snow peas, bok choy,[/FONT]water chestnuts, mushrooms, baby corn, but it has evolved where folks will add some seafood like dried oysters and /or pork sausage..

Ewww yeah!

where did ya say you lived again? I`m bringing my tent, my bowl and chopsticks :)

tree fungus. aghlghlghghlgh (drooling)

your dish sounds delish, appletart.

pigs, boars... they're all tasty little beasts. pork, bacon, ham.

or should i say a "magical animal". :chef:

Last edited:
My youngest goes to a school where they have a Mandarin second language program so they had a big assembly yesterday and a big chinese lunch. Very cool. Is it today or tomorrow?

Hi,

Chinese Year 4705 February 18, 2007. It's the year of the Pig, a Yin year. The date changes every year. It is a 15 day celebration, beginning on the first day of the new moon, and ends on the full moon. The celebration on the15th day is called the Lantern Festival.

buckytom said:
pigs, boars... they're all tasty little beasts. pork, bacon, ham.
or should i say a "magical animal". :chef:
there`s a saying, "The Only thing wasted on a Pig is the squeel"
Ergo; everything else it has is usefull in someway or another.

Happy Chinese New Year to you too Mr. BT.Friends of ours asked them to join them tonight at their fav chinese buffet to celebrate. (on Rte 17 in Ramsey-the Grand Buffet- I think)We've been there a couple of times with them and it's not too bad as far as these kinds of places go. I took a nap and should be able to make it through Jimmy and our friend Eric's many travels around the steam tables!!!!Enjoy your celebration!!!Love and energy, Vicki

Gung Hey Fat Choy to you all as well. We used to celebrate it every year with a banquet at a local (wherever we lived) Chinese restaurant. We'd aim for five couples who would all agree to whatever was set out (fussy eaters not invited). A couple of people would meet with the owner of the restaurant(s) and decide the menu, everyone else just had to eat whatever they chose. They'd aim for a variety of foods and it would be many courses. We'd aim for a large variety: a fish dish, a shellfish dish, a pork dish, a poultry dish, a vegetarian dish, etc. Everyone shared equally in the cost of the banquet, drinks being purchased by individuals. It was great fun. I used to go to China Town in Honolulu to buy red envelopes (I think I still have a few around here somewhere), into which we put the wait staff's tips, with a few extras with a dollar stuck in them to give to any children who happened to be in the restaurant. It was a hoot one year when we just went to a Chinese restaurant with my parents and my then 2-year old neice for lunch (no banquet that year). I'd given her an envelope with a dollar in it, and brought a couple of extra envelopes just in case. The owner's grand-child was hanging around, and we gave her an envelope with a dollar in it. The owner came and gave my neice $5 in an envelope and was absolutely thrilled (yes, we tipped the waitress in a red envelope, even through I think the tradition applies mostly to children). Unfortunately now I don't know enough people who would "gamble" the price of a meal on the off-chance they might not like what someone else selected. It was wonderful fun and a great way to celebrate other cultures.

buckytom said:
lol, what is this with the mr. bt today?

mr. bt is my father...;)

happy new year!!!
Well honorable one maybe today the title fits!!!!!!:)
love and energy, Vicki

I'm not an experton on this Chinese Zodiac stuff ... heck, back in the '70's when a girl asked me what my sign was I said "No Parking" (hey, that was the road sign I had hanging on my wall!) :LOL:

Apparently, from what they said on the news last night ... this year is actually a little more special than a "red pig" year (which comes around every 60 years - has something to do with the zodiac passing through a cycle of the elements or something) - this is the year of the Golden Pig - only happens every 600 years!!!

Maybe I'll retire my "old" sign and go for something more appropriate ... like "Slow Curves Ahead" ... I'm getting too old to chase the fast ones these days.

"Gong Xi Fa Cai" or "Hong Hee Fatt Choy" in Cantonese to DC members who celebrate Chinese New Year. May the Year of the Pig:pig: bring you good fortune, good health and lots of happiness!!

Our reunion meal with the family on Saturday had to be postponed to Sunday as arthritic pain gripped by brother-in-law and the cooking was done instead in the family home. Suckling pig :pig: and meat dishes were not the order of the day as the Lenten period here begins. So it was hot & sour soup, Singapore chilli crab, baked spicy fish, stir-fried leeks (for luck) with shrimps, and steamed pumpkin kueh, and lychees for desserts.

In my part of the world, red packets known as 'angpows' are normally given to children, unmarried ones and elderly relatives. Visiting friends and relatives usually bring along and exchange with them two nice oranges, which symbolize good luck for the whole year. As Appletart has mentioned, the celebration lasts for 15 days and is known as Lantern Festival or ‘Chap Goh Meh’ which literally translates to mean 15 days in the Hokkien dialect.

We are actually planning a Chinese meal tonight, since we no longer have a Chinese restaurant in town. Pork, I might add. Is it good or bad luck to eat the meat of zodiac figure? I know in Hawaii it is bad luck to bring pork over the Pali pass (I did actually do it once and my BIL got so sick it was ridiculous. Hey, I'm not superstitious, but I usually do try to respect all religions and cultures!)

Claire, I do not see any reason why you should not eat pork on Chinese New Year, even if it is the Year of the Pig.:pig: I have never heard anything that would contradict this.:)

Back
Top Bottom