Aebleskiver (Æbleskiver) pan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kadesma

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
My DH, Cade and Ethan have discovered ebleskivers..I want to surprise them one morning with them..I don't have the correct pan yet and was wondering is an egg poacher pan one with 6 indentations would work? Anyone have any suggestions?

kadesma:)

kadesma said:
My DH, Cade and Ethan have discovered ebleskivers..I want to surprise them one morning with them..I don't have the correct pan yet and was wondering is an egg poacher pan one with 6 indentations would work? Anyone have any suggestions? Kadesma:)
Just what are these, never heard of them before ?

The Story of Aebleskiver!

They are very, very yummy.

Traditionally, the Aebleskiver pan is made out of cast iron. Just like how corn bread made in cast iron is "superior" because of the even heating, so does the Aebleskiver benefit from slow, even cooking.

Candocook said:
It's a Danish cake. Here's a pan.
Amazon.com: Aebleskiver Pan: Kitchen & Housewares

Aren't they cooked on the stovetop directly on the heat? I don't think a poacher could take that heat.
yes that is how they are cooked. My poacher is a stove top as well..I was curious but I'll just go to linen and things or bed bath and beyond and see if they have the correct pan. No sense ruing the pan and wasting the batter... Thanks Candocook.

I received an Ebleskivers pan for Christmas this year. I love it!
I'm not certain an egg poacher would be a good substitution.
Mine is nordic ware and I think was purchased at Williams & Sonoma (not certain as it was a gift).
We love to fill them with Peanut Butter, Raspberry Jam, or Nutella.

lovecd said:
I received an Ebleskivers pan for Christmas this year. I love it!
I'm not certain an egg poacher would be a good substitution.
Mine is nordic ware and I think was purchased at Williams & Sonoma (not certain as it was a gift).
We love to fill them with Peanut Butter, Raspberry Jam, or Nutella.
Thanks for the tip, Willams-Sonoma does have them, I just checked the new catalogue...Like the nutella idea, that sounds wonderful..Since some friends and two of my kids gave me gift cards to W-S, I'm going to head there thursday and have some fun.

The egg poacher is only going to get up to the boiling point of water (212ºF) if you use water in it - and the Æbleskiver pans need to be heated to Medium High (somewhere in the 350º-400ºF range) from all the recipes I could find. If you try to use the egg poacher without water you run the risk of overheating and ruining the pan.

Last edited:
Thanks Michael,
I took a look at the poacher after I posted earlier and decided to just wait and go get the right pan on thursday...With my luck, I'd probably cause the pan to melt to the glass cook top stove or break the stove again, so I'm just going to wait..Thanks again.
kadesma:LOL:

I have one and it's made by Lodge cast iron. Works beautifully. I think I paid about 26.00 for it. I don't think an egg poacher would work since these little guys are supposed to be round. You have to be able to roll them over and you wouldn't be able to do that with an egg poacher. I use two chopsticks to roll them and it works great.

I found a similar CI pan in one of our Asian groceries, $8.00! It came with a domed lid too. I've only made johnny cakes in it so I'm probably not much help here. Good luck.

Aebleskivers

I gave away my cast-iron aebleskiver pan long ago when I was in college. Now that I'm older and cooking... I'm sooooo sad I let it go!! Aebleskivers are delicious breakfast treats, but you gotta have that pan!

Thanks for all the help everyone. I plan to go to W-S tomorrow, but will stop by an Asian market I use..They have everything you can think of and maybe just maybe I'll find one there..
Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom