Marinara sauce (merged)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitty4203

Assistant Cook
I always make my gravy with meat... Pork ribs, sausage, flank steak, and i made one without, and it doesn't taste right. I t actually tastes too tomatoey if that makes sense, too acidic. How can i fix it?:(

marinara sauce

how do i take the acidity out of a marinara sauce? I used whole plum tomatoes ground up, tomato puree, water, and diced tomatoes in juice for the sauce, plus onions, garlic, italian parsley, basil, and red wine... cooked for three hours and it tastes too tomatoey (if that makes sense) can i fix it?

this is going to sound like an Odd thing to say/Ask, but when you try some, try holding you nose closed so that you can`t breathe through it, Then try the taste, if it`s acidic then, you could add a little bicarb to it to kill some of it. if it Is`nt acidic when you hold your nose then it`s an Aroma thing going on, that will be much harder to mask.

oh yeah, and it Will fizz a little bit, so if it`s Thick, do it in a high walled vessel, saves making a "Volcano" type mess everywhere :)

Simmer, simmer, simmer.

One trick I learned was to add a table spoon or two of butter...that's if I'm trying to rush things. I never add sugar, I cant stand sweet tomato sauce. Canned tomato products need to be cooked for a considerable amount of time before the acidic taste disappears. You can also add some red wine or fresh herbs to cut down the "tomatoey" taste.

If the tomatoes are too acid for you, you can add some plain sugar to the sauce. Just do it a pinch at a time, stir/cook & taste, because you don't want to make it overly sweet. But many authentic recipes for Marinara do call for a little sugar, so adding it isn't even "cheating" - lol!!!

I just responded to a similar post.

Instead of sugar, you can add a table spoon of butter, stir, then let it simmer for a few more minutes. If it's still to acidic, add another tbl spoon.

I never add sugar to my sauces because it changes the flavor.

ground fennel seed (the herb in sweet Italian sausage) will do the trick, as will oregano (more pizza / greek oriented) both will sweeten without sugar.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom