Party food ideas needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

velochic

Sous Chef
I need some ideas for a graduation party. I'm going to my nephew's graduation in May, and my sister has asked me to prepare the food.

She'd like hors d'oeuvres for the savory selections. They probably won't be passed, as it's going to be rather informal. I'd like to do some interesting things, but they are not very adventuresome. I'll also have just one standard oven, so things that can be eaten at room temperature might be best.

Does anyone have any ideas? Any threads you can point me to? There will be about 100 guests attending in an open house fashion.

Various dips and chips is easy because you can make them the day before. Example: Babaganouch, Tatziki, Hummus, Roasted garlic and cream cheese dip, Italian style tomato crostini dip, smoked salmon dip, Black bean salsa.........

For chips: Baguette croutons, tortilla chips, Pita chips - baked or fried.

Antipasto tray is also easy, because you can do it ahead. sliced meats, and cheese, marinated artichokes, olives, grilled asraragus, mushrooms, grilled scallions etc.

Good luck and have fun.

More Greek appetizers for you to consider. Zucchini/pumpkin fritters with feta cheese, dolmades done with vine leaves or cabbage, spinach, chicken, leek, and pumpkin cheese pies.

Where will this be--Germany or US or somewhere else? What time of day? The reason I ask is that our kids graduate in the morning so a late morning/noon time food spread is what happens here. Others graduate at night so a different spread might be desired.
If it is near a traditional mealtime--and kids are going to be there--you may need to provide some things to make into sandwiches or the like.

Mini Pizzas are great too, but rather than make each tiny one on their own, buy a pack of the kid size mini pizzas, they`re about 5-6 inch dia, add a little extra cheese and when cooled cut into 4 slices, a pack of 6 will (making 24) will fill a plate :)

sausage rolls are good too (pigs in blankets) you can either buy the mini ones or the larger ones and cut them yourself, it`s a good idea to cater for any Vegetarians also, and buy the same in Cheese and Onion (that happened to me once) same for sandwitches make a veggy selection too.

better to play safe than get caught out as I did once :)

Thanks for the replies & ideas. It will in Terre Haute, In., US. My sis said that the party would be in the afternoon.

Would do a frittata or two, just use different ingredients. Make the day before and serve at room temp in slices. Each slice is very filling.

Or biscuits with ham slices. Prefer a country ham (always prefer a country ham) but any ham will do. If you want can serve with a bit of mustard on the side.

An antipasto platter, you can put anything you want on it. Rolled up salamis, roast beef (cut into po9rtions and stuck with a toothpick), other Italian (or not) cold cuts, cheese chunks, olives, artichoke hearts, whatever strikes your fancy.

All of these are make before dishes that can be transported easily.

Have a great time.

Garbanzo Salad

Canned Garbanzo Beans or make your own
juice of several lemons
zest of the same lemons
garlic
salt, pepper
olive oil
lots of freshly chopped parsley

You can also add some bow tie pasta to it to make it into a past salad with garbanzo.

Stir and let the flavors marinate for several hours. This one will not go bad and can be left at room temperature for a long time

Mini Eggrolls

You can make them using square wonton wrappers. Stuff them with pre-cooked chicken and veggies, I fry mine ahead of times (I made these for a party of 75 people). You can freeze them nicely and then reheat them in a cookie sheet. Leaving them out and enjoying them at room temperature is not a problem

Mini Meatballs

I make mine seasoned with ginger, garlic, cumin and corrainder powder, jalapeno and lots of freshly chopped mint and cilantro. You can season them any way you want. You can bake them ahead of time and freeze. Reheat them, pierce a small toothpick in each and serve around a sweet dipping sauce

Simple Sandwiches

A simple sandwich with a flavored cream cheese spread, (so many ready made options available, like onion or dill) layered with fresh veggies (thinly sliced tomatoes and cucumbers). You can cut it into 4 and leave them out

Potato Tikkis are great but not sure if your audience would consider them too exotic.

You can boil potatoes and mash them
Season with cumin powder, cilantro, cayanne pepper and salt
Make small balls and pat them down a bit
Coat in semolina and pan fry
They taste very good served with some mint and yogurt dipping sauce

You can also use help from stores like SAMS. They sell items in bulk for large size parties. They have ready made guacamole if you want to use it for chips and dips. You can also buy assorted crackers and biscotti type cookies.

Another idea, our antipasto pasta salad always is a hit. Seems like a lot of ingredients but it is quick to put together, tastes better if made the day before, and you can change the ingredients if you wish. (I like tossing in some chopped green olives also, or salad olives I guess they are sometimes called. And prefer adding some of the jarred pimentos. I guess my point is that the recipe is very forgiving. Artichoke hearts from the can might be good.)

Antipasto Pasta Salad

Ingredients

1 pound pata, prefer a Rotelli or spiral type pasta because it holds the dressing so well. Can use other pasta, such as shells or elbows, your choice
1/4 - pound chunk of Genoa salami, chopped
1/4 pound chunk of pepperoni sausage, chopped
1/2 pound chunk of Asiago cheese, diced (Can substitute Fontina or Gruyere or Emmenthaler or Provolone)
1 (6 ounce) can black olives, drained and chopped
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 green bell pepper, chopped
3 tomatoes, chopped
1 (.7 ounce) package dry Italian-style salad dressing mix
3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried parsley
1 tablespoon freshly grated Parmesan cheese (If using parmesan cheese from the green can, please double the amount).
salt and ground black pepper to taste

Directions
Cook the pasta in a large pot of salted boiling water until al dente. Drain, and cool under cold water.
In a large bowl, combine the pasta, salami, pepperoni, Asiago cheese, black olives, red bell pepper, green bell pepper and tomatoes. Stir in the envelope of dressing mix. Cover, and refrigerate for at least one hour.
To prepare the dressing, whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, oregano, parsley, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Just before serving, pour dressing over the salad, and mix well.

Just a thought. Enjoy.

Sorry I haven't been back to this thread for a while. I got busy with life.

Thank you to everyone for your suggestions.

How many appetizers do you think are necessary? I was thinking 2 vegetarian, 2 meat... one hot and one cold of each... then I'm not sure from there. I think I should have a sweet appetizer even though there will be graduation cake.

I also need to do as much ahead of time as possible.

Well, any more thoughts are appreciated. ;)

:) If its high school or college their taste buds for the most part are most likely junk food oriented. .So I would do hot wings with celery,carrots and blue cheese dip,nachos and salsa,pizza like YT talked about,maybe a cold cut and cheese platter with nice rolls and sides,a salad bar.Maybe tacos or frito pie, mini burgers.Melted Velveeta and salsa with chipsThings like that.
What age group are you talking about and how many?

Back
Top Bottom