Chateaubriand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevem

Assistant Cook
Does anyone know a very good chateau brion recipe?

I have about a month to get it down before my next monthly dinner with a good friend of mine. So far every month I have made a better dinner than the month before that, so after last night's dinner I have to come up with something really good.

Thanks in advance.

stevem said:
Does anyone know a very good chateau brion recipe?

I have about a month to get it down before my next monthly dinner with a good friend of mine. So far every month I have made a better dinner than the month before that, so after last night's dinner I have to come up with something really good.

Thanks in advance.
Do you mean "Chateaubriand"?

Check out the link I provided for more info. Here's a recipe from that site. You might also google "Chateaubriand" or "Chateaubriand recipes" to get some other ideas.

Jeekinz said:
I thought that was the cut....like London Broil.

It is. It's the middle portion of the filet of beef. I think the classic way of serving it is with a bernaise sauce.

Yes, I've had it a few times. Usually comes to the table Family Style with garlic mashed, and steamed veggies. They also cut it into bite sized pieces before serving.

That term always causes problems, at least to me.

Some authors state it is a cut of beef, nothing more.

Larousse Gastronomique defines Chateaubriand as a slice of very tender fillet steak about 1 1/4 inch thick. Although it states that when it was named it was probably cut from the sirloin served with a reduced sauce of white wine and shallots moistened with deni-glace and mixed with butter tarragon and lemon juice.

Turning to the North American Meat Processor's "The Meat Buyer's Guide", the term is said to be the center cut portion of the whole trimmed tenderloin, cooked and served in one piece (no mention of a recipe there).

Then I can cite other references that claim Chateubriand is a recipe and not a cut of meat at all.

But those recipes always seem to call for the dish to be made with meat from the tenderloin, have never seen a hamburger Chateaubriand at all, which it seems one should be able to make if it was just a recipe.

My version of Escoffier mentions Chateaubriand sauce (shallots, thyme, mushroom peelings, white wine, and veal gravy, prepared according to his directions and finished with butter). Heck, Escoffier I think would have finished corn flakes with butter.

But he states the Chateaubriand is from the tenderloin.

Escoffier kinda tries to use the tem both ways, in that it is a cut of meat, but there is also a sauce named Chateaubriand.

That leaves me in a bit of a quandry. Is it Chateaubriand if I take the appropriate cut, slater some ketchup on it and serve it?

Or can it only be called Chateaubriand if the appropriate cut of meat is served with the apropos Chateaubriand sauce?

I have no idea. Can only recommend you find a recipe you like and go for it.

Last edited:
What I thought it was, was a fillet mignon made with a special kind of butter sauce, served for two.

This is how it is in restaurants. When I order Chateaubriand that's what I get and that's how it is listed on the menu, as "Chateaubriand".

EDIT: typo

It is a recipe not a true cut of meat..It was named for some old French diplomat, statesman etc. It is prepared from a center cut of beef tenderloin..when so cut (size wise) it is many times packaged and labeled at retail meat markets as Chateaubriand. By any name it is tenderloin from beef.
"A rose by any other name...."

whatever it is, I sure like eating it! However, because of its elegance, it usually calls for the ladies who are to consume it to be wearing pantyhose and the gentlemen to be wearing jackets and ties.

mudbug said:
whatever it is, I sure like eating it! However, because of its elegance, it usually calls for the ladies who are to consume it to be wearing pantyhose and the gentlemen to be wearing jackets and ties.

Now that is funny Miss Mudbug...:LOL: And it is sooo true!!!

mudbug said:
The advantage to being a woman is that since such elegance definitely demands a sit-down affair, no one will know whether I'm wearing pantyhose or not. So there. ;)

suzyQ3 said:
The advantage to being a woman is that since such elegance definitely demands a sit-down affair, no one will know whether I'm wearing pantyhose or not. So there. ;)

Miss SuzyQ3..

I would advise caution..as the Paparazzi my be two tables over. One can never be sure. You may wake up one morning to find that your are a celebrity!!!:LOL:

The best chateaubriand Buck and I ever had was at the Bavarian Inn in Shepherdstown, West Virginia. Well, anything they serve is nothing short of awesome. They have some of the best game dishes ever.

Mudbug, you really need to check this place out. The accommodations are divine and the service and food is A+. The Bavarian Inn is near Harper's Ferry, West Virginia. There's lots of sightseeing, antiquing, scenery, etc. to be had on a trip to the BI.

Hey, Katie! thanks for the tip. That is not too far from us. We usually catch Amtrak at Harper's Ferry when we go to Chicago.

Typically, we don't check out these places so nearby because we keep thinking we'll go there "someday." For example, I've visited the some of the Smithsonian museums many times but still haven't made it to the National Portrait Gallery.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom