Calphalon One Nonstick Going to Heaven?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

librarygirl

Assistant Cook
Hi Folks

I'm a newbie to the DC Forum and I love this forum b/c of all the new things I learn from reading your wonderful posts.

1st Question: I think I may have damaged my Calphalon One Nonstick 12" Fry Pan b/c when I tried to clean the pan after poaching eggs somehow I used a knife to get some of the remnants, impervious to dish soap, scraped off the pan. Now there are slit marks on the pan and making my fave Spanish Omelette becomes a disaster b/c it sticks to those areas of the pan. Does this mean I should throw this away? A lot of my foods are coming out successful with this pan anymore. I'm not sure if it's the pan or my technique.

2nd Question: I've used the nonstick fry pan for almost everything. Yes, even searing. I live in an apartment that only uses electric burners which I think seriously pulls me back in the cooking are more than the fry pan itself. I looked at Williams Sonoma catalogs and found All-Clad. Not sure to get SS, LTD, or Copper Core. Any differences for electric burners? I need one pan for omelettes and one for searing or sauteing. Which type of material should I get for each for electric stoves?

Thanks!

I don't have any experience with All Clad but there have been many, many posts on this subject if you do a quick search. I do have experience with Calphalon One and Calph. nonstick.

Damaged surface there's not much you can do. By the sounds of it you put a good size gouge in it.

Calph. one Hard anodized would work fine electric, it's less expensive and from what I've found out it performs equally well to All-Clad. Check out pans on Amazon, TJ Maxx and Marshalls. You can find individual pans at big discounts from retail and build you own set of pans you want.

JDP

If you have irreparably damaged your pan, you will want to get a new one for those recipes that require the perfectly smooth surface. But...you can still use your abused pan for lots of other cooking, so don't toss it.

Now, NEVER AGAIN take a knife to anything in a pan, any kind of pan. It's dangerous should it slip, and damaging, obviously.

As far as the allclad style goes, they are basically good thick aluminum pans with stainless interiors and some type of exterior ... the SS is magnetic for induction burners and is dishwasher safe. THe copper core is the priciest and may have some slight advantage in heat transfer, but is it worth the cost? THe LTD willfade if put inthe dishwasher.

Last edited:
I felt like I was stabbed myself when I read your post! What a shame about your pan. So sorry. If you are going to replace it, get another Calphalon One nonstick pan. I have owned All Clad SS nonstick pans, and would never pay one penny for them again. The nonstick coating is way too easy to kill with heat. I replaced them with Calphalon One nonstick. Imo, it is far tougher than the AC. But truly, my fave nonstick pan is an ancient Le Creuset skillet that I inherited from my mom. It's ugly, but works great, and it'll probably outlive me!

Last edited:
For non-stick I like the cheap restaurant supply store pans, inexpensive and easily replaced as well as smoother than the expensive stuff. I only drop real money on stainless and enameled cast iron.

Oh my, a knife to a non-stick pan, we are just going to have to call you a library girl after that. (Now, I hope you understand my humor, no offence) :)

Do you have a Sam’s club near you? Go there, they sell commercial pans, Tramotina(sp?). I think it’s like $20-$30 bucks for a 12” frying pan, it is a really good pan, I replace my Calphalon pan (no not, because I used a knife) with it and it works just as well if not better. Go for it. You going to need it anyway sooner or latter, because the scratch will cause the non-stick surface slowly come of.

librarygirl said:
Hi Folks

I'm a newbie to the DC Forum and I love this forum b/c of all the new things I learn from reading your wonderful posts.

1st Question: I think I may have damaged my Calphalon One Nonstick 12" Fry Pan b/c when I tried to clean the pan after poaching eggs somehow I used a knife to get some of the remnants, impervious to dish soap, scraped off the pan. Now there are slit marks on the pan and making my fave Spanish Omelette becomes a disaster b/c it sticks to those areas of the pan. Does this mean I should throw this away? A lot of my foods are coming out successful with this pan anymore. I'm not sure if it's the pan or my technique.

2nd Question: I've used the nonstick fry pan for almost everything. Yes, even searing. I live in an apartment that only uses electric burners which I think seriously pulls me back in the cooking are more than the fry pan itself. I looked at Williams Sonoma catalogs and found All-Clad. Not sure to get SS, LTD, or Copper Core. Any differences for electric burners? I need one pan for omelettes and one for searing or sauteing. Which type of material should I get for each for electric stoves?

Thanks!

You can always ask about the warranty. It is guaranteed, and despite the fact this is your fault, you never know how far these companies will go to have a very satisfied customer.
If someone else suggested this above, forgive me for not reading every post and repeating it.

Well, the only thing about waranty do not tell them you scratched it with the knife, then maybe something would come out out of this.

Constance said:
Calaphon has a lifetime guarantee. They will replace your pan if you send it in. It took a couple of months, but they did mine.

Go here, and find out what to do...

Calphalon Contact Us Thank You

Constance: You don't seem the type to take a knife to anything! I generally use a quarter (.25). Works the same as the knife on the pan....the pain is when you drop the coin down the drain and lose your money!
:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom