Five Star Gas Range

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobkeenan

Assistant Cook
I posted a question earlier looking for help on a new range. I got some good advice. I also searched throught the forum for more advice. This is a good resource.

I have narrowed down my decision to 3 options:

1. Keep my 1950's ,White with Crome, Trim, 38" wide O'Keefe and Merritt and pay $4K-$6K to have it completely restored. Its a 4 burner and a griddle, Oven, and Broiler. The pro on this that it is a beautiful range and matches our Crafstman Era home & kitchen well. The con is that pilots are always one. You cannot slide pots from one burner to another, Cleaning is work, and the stove has uneven heat.

2. Another option is to get the new Kitchenaid 4 burner with gas convection oven for about $1700 in stainless. Almost all of the new ranges seem to be in SS. When they are offered in white they look like clothes washing machines to me. Ugly. I am tired of the stainless look and there is nothing that special about the range and it does not match the style of my house. Also current appliances are white, light yellow walls, black soapstone countertops.

3. The final option is to get a Five Start 4 burner with Griddle and convection oven. I can get it with mostly white and stainless trim on the controls. Its the most attractive modern range that I have seen. The combination of the white, stainless, black/grey grill, and trim makes it look like a range and not a washing machine. Its pricey at $4-6K. But I can not find ANY reviews. I am a little nervous about spend that much without hearing some reviews or testimonials.

Anybody have one? Any other thoughts.

BTW we are not intersted in dual fuel and tend to like a range in the 36" size since the existing one is 38"

Bob Keenan

there are companies that make retro style ranges. You can also do a custom fit with a cooktop and a "wall oven" built in beneath in a custom cabinet. Look at the options from Le Carneau from France and Aga from England...they make many styles including their traditional "cookers" The Aga 6 4 may be something what you're looking for.

I have kitchen aid 4 burner glass top with convection oven, back when I got it it was $1600. The worst piece of junk I ever had to deal with.

Your first option, to fix the existing range, would be great if you didn't care about the range's performance or the effort required to clean it. Basically, this is the 'it looks pretty' option.

If you want to upgrade cooking performance and have modern conveniences such as a self-cleaning oven, pilotless ignition, sealed burners and continuous grates for moving pots, spend a lot less money and go for choice #2.

Robo410 said:
there are companies that make retro style ranges. You can also do a custom fit with a cooktop and a "wall oven" built in beneath in a custom cabinet. Look at the options from Le Carneau from France and Aga from England...they make many styles including their traditional "cookers" The Aga 6 4 may be something what you're looking for.

I should have said it needs to be freestanding. Also we looked at the AGA's this weekend at Expo Design. Really pretty ranges. But None in white and they are dual fuel. Call me crazy but I am a fan of gas on the range and in the oven. But AGA does have the style we like.

I cannot fine Le Carneau. Do you have a link.

Andy M. said:
Your first option, to fix the existing range, would be great if you didn't care about the range's performance or the effort required to clean it. Basically, this is the 'it looks pretty' option.

If you want to upgrade cooking performance and have modern conveniences such as a self-cleaning oven, pilotless ignition, sealed burners and continuous grates for moving pots, spend a lot less money and go for choice #2.

Yea... that is definitely under consideration but if you look at the post above yours, and I have seen this elsewhere, some people think kitchenaid (and I see stuff on jennaire, GE, Thermador) are built without much quality control if you want an appliance that will last a while.

What have you heard about Five Star??

bobkeenan said:
I posted a question earlier looking for help on a new range. I got some good advice. I also searched throught the forum for more advice. This is a good resource.

I have narrowed down my decision to 3 options:

1. Keep my 1950's ,White with Crome, Trim, 38" wide O'Keefe and Merritt and pay $4K-$6K to have it completely restored. Its a 4 burner and a griddle, Oven, and Broiler. The pro on this that it is a beautiful range and matches our Crafstman Era home & kitchen well. The con is that pilots are always one. You cannot slide pots from one burner to another, Cleaning is work, and the stove has uneven heat.

2. Another option is to get the new Kitchenaid 4 burner with gas convection oven for about $1700 in stainless. Almost all of the new ranges seem to be in SS. When they are offered in white they look like clothes washing machines to me. Ugly. I am tired of the stainless look and there is nothing that special about the range and it does not match the style of my house. Also current appliances are white, light yellow walls, black soapstone countertops.

3. The final option is to get a Five Start 4 burner with Griddle and convection oven. I can get it with mostly white and stainless trim on the controls. Its the most attractive modern range that I have seen. The combination of the white, stainless, black/grey grill, and trim makes it look like a range and not a washing machine. Its pricey at $4-6K. But I can not find ANY reviews. I am a little nervous about spend that much without hearing some reviews or testimonials.

Anybody have one? Any other thoughts.

BTW we are not intersted in dual fuel and tend to like a range in the 36" size since the existing one is 38"

Bob Keenan

I just want you to know about my experience. About 2 years ago i was in the same boat as you. Originally i did not want duel fuel either. I just wanted an all gas range but when you reasearch on how ovens work i think the choice is clear to get duel fuel because when gas burns it produces moisture which you do not want in an oven.
Anways i ended up getting a frigidaire unit. I was kind of leary at first because i thought GE Profile was the only way to go. I was worried about frigidaire quality. Now 2 years later im extremly happy with frigidaire. I got a stainless steal unit with dual fuel and the following burner configuration: 16,000/12,000/9000/5000 BTU. The quality on the unit as been first rate. The only thing i don't like about it is mine came with a glass top which seems like its impossible to keep clean. The next year model did not use a glass top though.

I have since bought a two frigidaire refrigerators: one standard and one side by side stainless steel look. I guess my point is you might want to give frigidaire a look in the store. You seem to get great quality and more features at a lower price point.

Ncvage

Five Star

My school is building a Culinary Kitchen and Dining Room as I type. I asked the equipment rep. what kind of gas stove to buy for home, he said a Five Star. I'd google Five Star, to find out more. Don't have one, but I'd love one!!!

Because of the good advice I rec'd at DC, I bought a dual fuel Wolf and love it! Best decision I made. For what you will pay to retore your current range, you could get a Wolf, well, maybe for a little more. Check them out, as well.

I have a Five Star gas range and I really like it. The high capacity burners are excellent. I especially like the thing on the front 2 burners that lets you set the flame extremely low for simmering very delicate things. The convection feature can be turned on and off via a simple switch on the front. The broiler has a very nice set up that allows you to easily change the position of the broiling rack. The removable griddle is awesome for making a lot of pancakes, burgers, that sort of thing. I doubt I would have paid the $4200 list price for this or any stove but I bought it barely used for $550 so I'm thrilled with it.

I doubt I would have paid the $4200 list price for this or any stove but I bought it barely used for $550 so I'm thrilled with it.[/quote]

Wow, Fisher's Mom, you got the deal of the century! Good for you!

Sorry so late to reply - my internet was out over the weekend. Thanks Green Lady! I was so excited about it. My old stove was over 40 years old and had issues. I was renovating my kitchen and trying to stay within a very limited budget so I could pay cash for everything. I really didn't think I could get a new stove but when some things came in under budget, I decided to explore a used one. I found this stove within the first hour of searching Craig's list and went the next morning cash in hand and brought it home in the back of my van. It really wasn't until later that I realized what a great deal it really was!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom