New member from Colorado

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoDogGo

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone, I have joined this group since I have some extra time at the moment and love anything to do with cooking. I hope to explore the forum and contribute where I can and also be enriched by all of you.
I found the site while searching for egg information since I raise my own chickens for their eggs and the just pleasure of having the chickens. I also raise my own pork.
I live on the Colorado high plains east of Pikes Peak, Anyone else live around here?

So, running across this site was a benefit that I hope to enjoy while looking for creative recipes and other folks who like to cook.

Welcome , it is so nice to have you here with us. My son Dan has been living in the Denver area since 1985, so I have been out there many times. I will "never" forget my first time going up to the top of Pikes Peak. Oh, my goodness. I was hiding my head under some covers in the back seat.:LOL: It's funny now but it wasn't then.:shock:
This is a great place, I know you will have a good time.

Welcome GDG! I live in the southwest part of Colorado - on the western slope. DC is a great place and we're glad you've joined the group. :)

Welcome..
I was born in Trinidad and now live in Ca. I have a Nephew and family in Durango.
Colorado is such a beautiful place to live.
Marge~Dove

High altitude?

GoDogGo said:
Hi everyone, I have joined this group since I have some extra time at the moment and love anything to do with cooking. I hope to explore the forum and contribute where I can and also be enriched by all of you.
I found the site while searching for egg information since I raise my own chickens for their eggs and the just pleasure of having the chickens. I also raise my own pork.
I live on the Colorado high plains east of Pikes Peak, Anyone else live around here?

So, running across this site was a benefit that I hope to enjoy while looking for creative recipes and other folks who like to cook.

Are you in a high altitude that requires special handelingof recipes?
I have a place in Nevada, I'll be there the 1st of May, that is at 6.461 feet above sea level.
Water boils at 192 degrees, my microwave has a rice cycle but I'm sure it is for sea level. I haven't made a decient pot of rice since I've been there.
How about some clues on high altitude cooking?

Thank you all again for the welcome to DC. It's nice the know friendly people who like to cook.
In answer to Hungry:
I do live at 6500+ feet. It isn't so bad as when I lived at 10,000 feet. I remember the first time I opened a can of refridgerator bisquits at 10,000 feet. I can tell you it scared me to death as the thing expoded and bisquits went flying! All of the packaged foods were under pressure up there. If you had a bag of potatoe chips the bag was always fat and seemed so full of air.
I still cringe to this day when I have to open any canned bisquits or cookies even though they don't blow up as bad at 6500 feet.

One of the best things about living at a high alltitude and in an arrid climate too, is that things like chips and crackers seem to stay fresh and crispy longer.

We have lived in Colorado now for 19 years. I think the biggest challenge I had when I first moved here was actually boiling eggs the way I liked them until I got one of those gadgets that you put in the pot and it changes color to tell you the degree of doneness. As for rice, we use a rice cooker with a glass lid and just learned to adjust the amount of water until we got the results we wanted. I grew up at sea level ( started cooking at 5 ). I don't generally have to make many real changes to my favorite recipes except for water amounts ( generally less water is needed for things like sauces, gravies and stews ) or you have to cook some things a bit longer and of course sometimes a combination of both.

Now, for baking it is much more work adjusting the recipes.
Generally things rise faster at high altitude so it can help to raise your oven temperature ( by about 25 dgrees ). You also have to learn to proof breads by looking a them, not just timing them. If you like to bake and you live at high altitude you should start by getting a high altitude specific cook book and learn from that and then experiment with your own recipes.
I am not a big baker so I don't worry over much about the altitude. And for regular cooking, practice, practice , practice! What a great excuse for having to try so many new recipes! Right?
Hungry, if you have any specific questions when you get to your new location in Nevada I would be glad to help if I can.

Thanks again everyone! Nice to meet you all!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom