Oxtails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JGDean

Sous Chef
I have a little over 2lbs of oxtails - from calves if size is an indicator. Any ideas on how or what to prepare would be appreciated.

I love oxtail soup! I make mine kind of like the braised oxtails already mentioned but do not use flour. I like it with broth, canned tomatoes, tomato juice or V-8, onions, potatoes, carrots, whatever other vegetables sound good at the moment, and if I have it I add barley (serve with hot flakey biscuits). It is always better the 2nd day (skim the congealed fat from the top after it has been refrigerated). When I was growing up oxtail soup was "poor people" food and you could get them really cheap. Now that they are practically considered gourmet the cost has gone way up.

:) Barbara

Barbara, why is everything I love to eat always the poor folk's food of yesteryear.

I remember people in New England telling me how they could not give lobsters away. Yep, they were poor people's food.

Chicken wings, skirt steak, the list goes on. The one still fairly cheap meat we love are chicken thighs. Am just waiting for some TV chef to 'discover' them and make the price go into the stratosphere.

Where is the poor people's food of today? I want to eat that stuff, if I can find it.

Sorry, have to pull meself together and get to the point, I hate to do that.

Will not touch upon the soup, which I adore.

But the oxtails to me scream casserole. Perhaps with beans, and some porkchops, or kielbasa. Dried lima beans would work here I believe. Or a white bean.

Or as part of a hunter's stew, a Polish bigos. Ox tails, some kielbasa and/ or cured ham, saurkraut, chicken pieces, duck, rabbit, your choice. So simple and yet elegant.

Just a couple of thoughts.

Take care and God bless.

Barbara L said:
When I was growing up oxtail soup was "poor people" food and you could get them really cheap. Now that they are practically considered gourmet the cost has gone way up.
auntdot said:
Barbara, why is everything I love to eat always the poor folk's food of yesteryear.
In my neighborhood the store that caters to the upper middle class occasionally have them but they are always two to three times more than than the store that caters to lower income and immigrant families and that store always has them. The prices of meats that both stores always stock are roughly equivalent.

Back
Top Bottom