Cooking mitts...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Otter

Sous Chef
As we speak, I am washing my cooking mitts, hopefully for the last time. How are the silicone (or other) mitts? Are they flexible enough?

It's just my opinion, for what it's worth, Otter, but I don't like the silicone mitts at all. While they're incredibly heat resistent, they're not easy to manuver. That may be in part because I have pretty small hands, so I usually feel like I'm swimming in them. Other than picking up baked potatoes or hot grill racks, they just don't do it for me. I decided to stick to my good old fashioned fabric hot pads and oven mitts!

I tried on a pair, and they just didn't seem flexible enough to me. However, I'm tired of spraying my mitts with Shout and running them trough three wash cycles to get them looking presentable. Acutally, thinking about it, I would probably be better off just buying a new pair.

Thanks for saving me the expense of finding this out on my own, guys. I've been tempted to buy a pair, but worried about whether I'd like them or not. I'll just stick to my fabric ones.... Otter, I just saw some snappy ones at Tar-Jay today...!!! Even if you had to buy a new pair each year...well...

;)

Audeo, Tar-jay here has quite the clearance going on for potholders as well as embroidered flour sack towels. C'mon up here and grab a bargain.

mudbug said:
Audeo, Tar-jay here has quite the clearance going on for potholders as well as embroidered flour sack towels. C'mon up here and grab a bargain.

Well they sure don't down here! I'll be there in half an hour! Can we use your employee discount on clearance items...???

I just got a copy of Cook's Illustrated magazine (America's Test Kitchen) a couple of days ago and they had a review of the Orka silicone mitt. Their results were essentially the same as PA Baker's experiences. They are bulky, akward (especially for someone with small hands) and make your hands sweaty. They concluded that the only thing they would use it for would be to move a hot grill rack - otherwise they would stick to a traditional mitt of potholder or slotted spoon or tongs.

AP NEWSFLASH:
Traffic was heavy on The Beltway this morning as throngs of foodies flocked to Mudbug's TarJay store to avail themselves of her employee discount.

Otter said:
AP NEWSFLASH:
Traffic was heavy on The Beltway this morning as throngs of foodies flocked to Mudbug's TarJay store to avail themselves of her employee discount.

Tune in to Fox News tonite for important commentary on this social phenomenon from Freddie and Mort! Mudbug's people are talking to Brit's people about an exclusive interview.

Silicone oven gloves....

I sell these gloves in my stores...I do my best to make people realize the pros and cons of this product...it is amazing when people see something on TV and they think it must be the best product. My opinion of these is they are not good...if you get any moisture in them if you pick something up hot enough the item will turn that moisture to steam>>>that means burn. The product that I sell and own myself are not the cheapest...or are not the best fashion statement and is produced by a company called "Tucker Industries"...there web site is www.burnguard.com You can accidently touch your gloves with raw meat....go to the sink and wash your gloves off with soap and water....forget you have to take something out of the oven, put your gloves back on and remove your dinner....the gloves will steam but they will not burn you!!! These gloves are the best things made.....Try get a pair you will not be sorry. Pst 8)

I call my silicone mitt "Orka."

Orka is fantastic for outdoor grilling (I do a lot of it), tending the fireplace and working with jars and a boiling water bath. Also good for things like picking up and turning a whole chicken or turkey. And they clean up easily (good when you are grabbing a hot pork butt ).

I am very glad I have one. Will be buying another.

They are not very good at all for your average everyday use, ala taking hot pans from the oven, changing oven rack position, etc. They are not flexible which makes it difficult to handle many things, especially smaller items (my oven went down 100 degrees in temp in the time it took Orka and I to pick up the hot oven thermometer :roll: ).

I flip chichens and turkeys during the cooking cycle to get more even cooking, and that is what cause most of the need for washing, even tho I'm careful. I'm thinking maybe I could use aluminum foil instead.

You take it out of the oven and turn it over? I've never been able to master that, burned myself too many times and just gave up. The meat is really very nice when its cooked liked that.

deb, it's worth the hassle of turning for me to get the great final result. I started doing it based on a Cooking Illustrated recommendation, and I haven't done it any other way since. Now I'm thinking: wear the mitts and use aluminum foil both, in case the aluminum foil heats up quickly.

Back
Top Bottom